PDA

View Full Version : Become a game developer!

Leonardo
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:25 AM
You have nice forums here!!!

I'd like to share with you my idea.

A few months ago, I read on Ps2 Official Europe an interview to the creator of FF series, Hironobu Sakaguchi. He gave this suggestion to the ones who wanted to become game developers: you have to create your own game, with a team of 5-6 people, and then you have to send your work to a publisher.

Actually, I think that in this period is effectively possible. Ten years ago it was extremely difficult to find the info to become a game developer, but now, on Internet, you have all the material you need, if you are a good searcher. You can have the code of great games like UT, Tomb Raider and so on, and you can study it. There are dozens of 3d engines that you can use, for FREE, in your games. You can modify them, create level editors and so on.

You can also find every sort of tutorial, guide on every programming language available. You can find guides on game programming and all for free.

Of course, you need to create a team of 4-5 persons. And even if you don't have any experience, each memeber could start learning a thing: characters & environments design, c++, 3d studio max or more accessible 3d modeling software, midi music and so on, plus a good experience of cinematographic language.

Then, Internet is also a useful place to find beta testers! Beta testers cost a lot of money, but on Interent you can let a certain number of people download an unfinished copy of your game and let them test it.

Of course, this is a dream. But I think with 5 really motivated people, this could be a good, good idea.

Faile
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:31 AM
I'd agree that, with the right staff, it is entirely possible.

And a good idea too

Soul Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:36 AM
Yeah I'm after to do computer games and that!
I've also noticed that you can find info about getting into the gaming industry, I've also got a book on it as well :)

I haven't gone and looked for codes let, hmm I might just do that then!
So all you need is like a team of 5- 6 people to make a game, wow I wonder how many other people woulld like to make games as well then? :confused: :)

Leonardo
Mar 2nd, 2002, 08:49 AM
And of course you can be from different parts of the world...
all you need is a website for your homemade company or better a website.

IcyMourdor
Mar 2nd, 2002, 10:54 AM
I might actually think about making a game then. I could use the story I'm writing as the game.

BTW: Welcome to the Forums

Soul Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 11:50 AM
Mourdor your story could make a really good game!
Its seems have good plot to it and interesting characters etc... ;)

I would love to make a game myself but I have no idea where to start or who would make it with me :shock:
But I guess its something to look into :)

GaseousSnake
Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:38 PM
Wonderfull.Im of to go do research then

BTE:Welcome MATE;)

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Hay what you wrote sounds pretty cool.I look into it.Anyways welcome to the forums

Cannibal Clown
Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:51 PM
a friend of mine at school is asking me to draw up some designs for bosses in an RPG he's making right now. he's real smart with computers, and loves video games. So I'm looking forward to seeing what will come out of it.

Pu the Owl
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:06 PM
Welcome Leonardo!
You're right: the web offers many possibilities to people who are interested in this kind of things. You can find good sources to learn and improve as well, and you also have the possibility to contact other motivated persons for a staff interested in game developing.

Mercury Shadow
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:24 PM
That's a good idea, maybe i'll look into it...

Is computer science a good class to take in high school for this sort of thing?

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Mercury_Shadow
That's a good idea, maybe i'll look into it...

Is computer science a good class to take in high school for this sort of thing?

Most definetly a great class to take to get into programming

Spirit
Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:28 PM
sounds easy, but I don't think it is since making a good game takes 100 ppl in squaresoft a year as their job, I doubt you can find enough time, oh and welcome leonardo =P

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 05:32 PM
Well i wouldnt mind being a developer.I'm shooting for konami when i grow up