PDA

View Full Version : Freespace 2

BlackThornn
Jun 20th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Anyone ever played this? I've been wanting it since I had FS1 on my old computer (which was sadly far too craptastic to play FS2 on) and now that I got the monster at home that I do now I was looking into it. Strangely I couldn't find it on sale anywhere, but I DLed it off Kazaa and have been playing it the last few days, and it's just.. well.. Dang cool. Best space sim I've played in a LONG time. (beats the pants off anything on the consoles)

I was thinking of writing a review since I have the experience fresh in my system (made the mistake of taking my dogfight with a rebel terran in between two cruisers with beam cannons fighting amongst themselves.. ended up consisting of bite-sized chunks floating around in space), but then I forgot that wasn't my job or anything. :laugh: So I just wanted to know if anyone else on PS2Fantasy had ever played this great game. Or it's predecessor, even. ^_^

kupoartist
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:26 PM
I played Demos of both back in the day... I know that doesn't really count, but they were certainly great games (i've always liked Space). My Pocket Money just didn't stretch that far, and I always got the feeling that I was really crap at them as well. (the demos weren't partucarly easy... from what I can remember.) Alledgedly, Someone was doing a Freespace Mod taht crossed over with Homeworld. However, I can't remember whether it was a Space Sim featuring Homeworld ships, a 3D RTS featuring Freespace ships or a figment of my imagination...

So umm... I'd have liked to play it, but i guess its too late anyway. And you should play Homeworld if you haven't already. I love that game ^_^

BlackThornn
Jun 20th, 2003, 01:43 PM
I played Homeworld on my old comp and i caused the poor thing to sputter and crash on the spot. Haven't downloaded it for my new computer yet but I'm eagerly awaiting Homeworld 2. ^_^ Not enough Space Combat nowadays.

If you want to play FS2 I'd advise you to get Kazaa and download it off of there. With a (very, very bad.. 12kbps or so) dsl connection I completed it by the time I'd gotten home from work. You'll most likely be missing the 'cinematics' until you can find the game itself in a bargain bin but the copy floating around works great!

kupoartist
Jun 20th, 2003, 02:12 PM
hehe... I'd like to conduct an experiment: I set my PC to download the game, and then I Walk (actually no, I hop whilst balancing a plate on each finger and my nose) to every gamestore in the UK until I find a copy of Freespace 1 and 2, then I return and see whether my PC is still downloading them. My money is on walking being faster than my 28k dialup :laugh:

And yes... Homeworld 2 does look very nice. You'd probably understand it better if you played the first (only £5 in the UK... and probably a little cheaper to download :D ). I liked it so much I brought a friend a copy.

Yes I am a cheap-ass with presents.