PDA

View Full Version : Psx.

MakgSnake
May 28th, 2003, 10:10 AM
I am so glad that Sony has announced some news on this. And more happy that they have called it PSX. Because some crazy people still think that PsOne code name is PSX, which is not TRUE!

Neways..... A new machine is announced by Sony, which I think would rock and I most probably will buy!.! :)

May 28, 2003 - Sony announced today the PSX, a new hardware platform scheduled for Japanese release this year and American/European release next year (try not to confuse it with the code-name for the original PlayStation system).
The PSX includes the PlayStation 2's Emotion Engine and Graphics Synthesizer chips and will allow you to play PS2 games. But this isn't just a games system. The PSX also comes with a TV tuner, DVD recording capability and a 120 gigabyte hard disk. On top of this are USB 2.0 and memory stick support and a built-in Ethernet adapter.

This product was announced as part of a financial meeting for the entire Sony group in which big shot Ken Kutaragi revealed that the PS2 has reached worldwide cumulative shipments of 52.5 million. Following an introduction to the recently announced PSP (Play Station Portable) hardware, Kutaragi introduced and demoed the PSX.

According to Sony, the PSX represents the synergy between games and electronics. The built-in PS2 hardware will be used not just for games, but for the product's recording features.

Sony clarified the nature of the product following the presentation: "The PSX is a product not from SCE (Sony Computer Entertainment), but from Sony. It's a product that was born from the synthesis of the game and electronic fields, so while you can play games on it, it will not take the position of a game console. We're making it into a new DVD/HDD (hard disk drive) recording product that includes technology from SCE."

Pricing details and in-depth specifications will be revealed in the future. The pictures below were handed out by Sony.

How playstation products fits togather. (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/psx_030528_pic1.jpg)

PSX next to the big TV. (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/psx_030528_pic2.jpg)

PSX. (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/psx_030528_pic3.jpg)

From behind. (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/psx_030528_pic4.jpg)

Sounds awesome. (http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/psx_030528_pic5.jpg)

Vic Viper
May 28th, 2003, 11:10 AM
cool, i want one. :)

Frozen
May 28th, 2003, 02:10 PM
HOLY SHIT!!!

I will definitely get it someday. Now I wonder, will it be worth it, then, to buy a Hard drive for the PS2 if it gets released over here?

kupoartist
May 28th, 2003, 02:26 PM
shame i have no need for two PS2s, because this does look nice.

Oh and the ign news article also agrees with strange idea that PSX is the name of the original Playstation. The PSOne was the name for the minature version after all...

TtTackler
May 28th, 2003, 04:09 PM
Actually, PSX was never the "official" name for the original Playstation. Sony code-named it "PSX" when they announced it after 'breaking up' with Nintendo. The name just sorta stuck with consumer and media..:phew:

mark0™
May 28th, 2003, 05:01 PM
I like the hardrive idea a lot, the DVD recording would be good too, DVD recorders aint cheap.

But its stupid to release it now, it gets annoying when Manufacturers realease a new version of an existing console, e.g GBA SP, even though I still bought it (The Backlighting was a great feature)

But nah, its stupid, I cant really imagine a person who hasnt got a PS2, who will be won over with the new version.

I thought PSX was just called that because PS sounds boring and the X brings some sort of coolness, also I think PSX is actually easier to say than PS :disturb:

Beretta55
May 28th, 2003, 05:35 PM
It looks awsome but im not going to get it. I already have a ps2 so i'll just wait for the PS3 to release. But i'll say it again.....it looks pretty damn awsome:laugh:

Redpyramidhead
May 28th, 2003, 06:02 PM
OK...What I want to know is: WIll the Hard Disk Drive still be released seperately so I can buy that and hook it up to my existing PS2 along with my Network adaptor and all that shite and still have all the same available gaming power as this new PSX thing? Because i am certainly not that interested in buying an entire new machine just for the ability to burn dvd's and replace my computer with the damn thing for that kind of price. Unless Sony cooks up some special offer (which I doubt they will) I doubt I could get much money on a trade in and as weird as this sounds I've grown rather attached to this particular PS2 of mine.

SUre I can't deny this new hardware sounds incredible, but since I want to save money, I need some questions answered! Man...

_RED_ stuff

Gadzoox
May 28th, 2003, 06:46 PM
I'm assuming that thing is going to be hella expensive.
If it is that amazing, I'll just wait until the price drops to a reasonable price and stick with my PS2 until then.

Infernal Mass
May 28th, 2003, 07:02 PM
no doubt, no doubt

i'm guessing it's gonna run for about 400 USD. I don't got that kinda chedda right now.

adam
- :drool: sounds tempting though,

solidsnaketag
May 28th, 2003, 07:42 PM
looks like a pretty good machine but dont need it. I already have PS2

DragonSphere
May 28th, 2003, 08:46 PM
The PSX looks and sounds interesting, but like everyone else, I'm not willing to spend a few hundred more dollars on hardware that (despite the new features and the harddrive) will play exactly like a PS2; and judging from the worldwide figures, most people have the good ol' system already.

MakgSnake
May 29th, 2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by TtTackler

Actually, PSX was never the "official" name for the original Playstation. Sony code-named it "PSX" when they announced it after 'breaking up' with Nintendo. The name just sorta stuck with consumer and media..:phew:
Exactly, thank you TtT. But for some reason it got stuck like you said. I for some reason hate it when people call Playstation PSX. Because its just not right, even at Best Buy, they have pricing stickers saying "PSX" on Playstation games. And I am like How DUMB can one be....! Oh well.

I will buy this PSX, most probably...... all I want to know is the release date of it. Probably next Holiday Season Christmas. I would even buy it if its $1000 (CND). I dont mind.... its just so damn amazing.

Redpyramidhead
May 29th, 2003, 03:26 AM
I would like to repeat my question. Is the Hard Disk Drive still coming out as hardware being sold seperately so you can buy it and take it home and install it to your existing PS2? Read my above post for the full question. I don't mean to repeat myself, I just really would like to know. This PSX thing sounds like an unnecassary investment so I hope the Drive is sold sepereately like the network adaptor.

_RED_ stuff

ssjtrunks13
May 29th, 2003, 08:51 AM
More good news, it makes me glad that I haven't got my own PS2 yet. I would definately get one.

goodman
May 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

I would like to repeat my question. Is the Hard Disk Drive still coming out as hardware being sold seperately so you can buy it and take it home and install it to your existing PS2? Read my above post for the full question. I don't mean to repeat myself, I just really would like to know. This PSX thing sounds like an unnecassary investment so I hope the Drive is sold sepereately like the network adaptor.

_RED_ stuff

No idea, RPH, in all honesty the HDD wont be an accessory i will be adding anytime soon. If the ps3 comes out of the box being online capable i will go online with it, otherwise im not going to pay a lot of money to upgrade to go online or have a large hard drive, which ive never had any use for. Once you start talking add-on hardware for a system i start losing a lot of interest because i have tons of unused hardware sitting around that has been rotting for years now for several systems... ps3 is strongly rumored for 2005, i can wait for its release to see what i really need for future gaming, its not really that far away... the pc will take care of any online needs gaming wise till then...

ssjtrunks13
May 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by goodman

Once you start talking add-on hardware for a system i start losing a lot of interest because i have tons of unused hardware sitting around that has been rotting for years now for several systems...
what are they? RPH, it's been mentioned somewhere on these forums before that they'd have to release the HDD to play FFXI and that comes out in November around the same time as FFX-2. How much would it cost anyway?(the hdd)

kupoartist
May 29th, 2003, 01:49 PM
in the US, the HDD is getting a simultaneous launch in Q1 2004 with the PS2 version of FFXI. ffxi and mention of hdd (http://www.ffxionline.com/showarticle.php?threadid=11046)
I thought PSX was just called that because PS sounds boring and the X brings some sort of coolness, also I think PSX is actually easier to say than PS
I prefer this theory :happy:

MakgSnake
May 29th, 2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Redpyramidhead

I would like to repeat my question. Is the Hard Disk Drive still coming out as hardware being sold seperately so you can buy it and take it home and install it to your existing PS2?
Like said above..... The Hard Drive will be in the market with the release of FFXI, because thats the only game that actually requires a hard drive. It'll be bundled up with the game. OR you can buy it even without the game, just the hard drive.

dan da man
May 30th, 2003, 05:37 AM
I voted for Its 'one beautiful machine. Amazing!' I dont know why becuase I dont see the point, why dont sony just do this with the PS3? Some one tell kojima to make MGS3 work on this machine so its better. It will work on it most prbally, but just for more power.:D But I will buy this, probally on the release date.