PDA

View Full Version : MG Online News?

dan da man
May 15th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Kojima gives hints at E3... Kojima talked briefly about creating an online version of Metal Gear Solid. He mentioned that the graphics engine used for Sons of Liberty was not suitable for such a game, as the environments are almost completely indoors. So, almost as test, his team created a completely new graphics engine for Snake Eater that would feature outdoor environments. An engine created with elements from both the Snake Eater and Sons of Liberty engines is what he would like to use for an online Metal Gear game. And in case you're wondering, yes, Kojima did confirm that an online Metal Gear is something that he is interested in doing.

source//ign.com

Anyone else want to add to this?

MakgSnake
May 17th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Yeah I read about that....... very intresting. But he didn't mention when it'll be out...... for all we know he is putting that feature in MGS3. I wouldn't mind that as long as he doesn't disturb the main METAL GEAR SOLID storyline.

But I'd rather prefer another game only based on Online features. And PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE make it HEADSET COMPATIBLE (Like Xbox Live).

dan da man
May 18th, 2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Yeah I read about that....... very intresting. But he didn't mention when it'll be out...... for all we know he is putting that feature in MGS3. I wouldn't mind that as long as he doesn't disturb the main METAL GEAR SOLID storyline.

But I'd rather prefer another game only based on Online features. And PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE make it HEADSET COMPATIBLE (Like Xbox Live).

Yes, I would'nt mind as long as it dosent disturb the story, just a feature on MGS3, multiplayer, it would be sweet fighting it out, stealthing around in the jungle. And I agree, it has to be headset compatible, it just would not work without it, a sweet thing Kojima could do is if it is headset compatible, you have to phone your teammate by codec call, not just speak, it would simply rock.

MakgSnake
May 18th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

you have to phone your teammate by codec call, not just speak, it would simply rock.
Yeah that would be awesome and whenever you do....a small screen pops up on the right handside corner of the screen showing his image (while that person is playing and sneaking) and that person could see us too......... that would be pretty awesome.

kupoartist
May 19th, 2003, 01:55 PM
I think Gamespy also interviewed him and got a few mentions about an Online game out of him. He mentioned that the rest of his team plays long sessions of Counter-Strike and that he personally would have no grasp of making an online MG (he gets completly trounced by them at CS ^_^)

I don't see how they could make an online MG though... MG isn't CS like (ie. storming buildings and planting bombs), and I could imagine that a Deathmatch game with Sneaking emphasis would be ok as an extra feature only. And a Massivly Multiplayer Metal Gear would just be silly, with everyone opting to creep around and snap everyone's necks for fun :)

If they do - and i'm not a game designer so perhaps they've got some better ideas (you could be hired for missions or somthing - who knows) - I don't see why they can't put the game as part of the main MG story. Just not somthing big... like the Online game could be somthing to do with Zanzibar, or somthing that really doesn't have more than a few names to relate it to the main plots. - A similar thing was done when Epic Games made Unreal into a Multiplayer Franchise. I think in Unreal Tournament, they carried over a name of a company an alien race and a few weapons - It was still part of the Unreal story, but it was somthing completely different.

oh and Kojima mentioned that he'd be happy to give away the Metal Gear franchise for Film Liscencing - he apparently gets loads of calls about making a MGS film already :)

TtTackler
May 19th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Yes, MGS Online would be the greatest. But, of course, it would be an extra feature, I don't see how that could mess up the story in any way.

About MGS movie, Hideo made it very clear before MGS2 came out that he would only want the Walsworki Bros (sp?) (makers of the Matrix) to make a MGS film.;)

mark0™
May 19th, 2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by TtTackler
About MGS movie, Hideo made it very clear before MGS2 came out that he would only want the Walsworki Bros (sp?) (makers of the Matrix) to make a MGS film.;)

The Wachowski Brothers, thats what I like to hear :)

Its been a good period for the PS2 lately, at least to me it has.