PDA

View Full Version : Square Enix considering Kingdom Hearts sequel, Final Fantasy VII-2?

Vic Viper
May 7th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Tetsuya Nomura comments on the current possibility of sequels for two of the company's high-profile RPGS.

In the latest issue of Dorimaga, Square Enix designer Tetsuya Nomura--known as the character designer for past Final Fantasy titles and Kingdom Hearts--made a number of comments regarding possibilities of sequels.

On the issue of a Kingdom Hearts sequel, Nomura stated that he would like to clarify that a sequel has not been officially announced at the current time. Nomura said that although he hopes that the title will be developed, Square Enix and Disney have not made any agreements yet. However, Nomura hinted that the possibilities are good, saying that there were already some talks with Disney about making a sequel while Kingdom Hearts was in production.

On the possibility of a Final Fantasy VII-2, Nomura said that the chances of it happening are unrealistic. Nomura explained that Final Fantasy X-2 was able to be released since it utilized the Final Fantasy X engine, allowing production of the game in one year at only half the usual development scale of a Final Fantasy title. However, to make Final Fantasy VII-2, everything would most likely have to be created again from scratch since the data from the original Final Fantasy VII cannot be used. Thus, producing a Final Fantasy VII-2 would require the development scale of a normal Final Fantasy title.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/adventure/kingdomhearts/news_6026421.html

:naughty: :naughty:

DragonSphere
May 7th, 2003, 09:00 PM
Never really expected for them to make FFVII-2 anyway, just didn't seem "realistic" enough for it to happen. However, KH2 should be a good prospect. :ahoy:

legion
May 8th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Back when Square-Enix was created, they let out a press release about the company. Basically, it said that Square-Enix was going to build off Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, and the Kingdom Hearts series.
More than just a sequel, I guess. The thread about that is here (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5801).

kupoartist
May 8th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by legion
Back when Square-Enix was created, they let out a press release about the company. Basically, it said that Square-Enix was going to build off Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, and the Kingdom Hearts series.
More than just a sequel, I guess. The thread about that is here (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5801).
indeed (though its Dragon Quest in place of Breath of Fire, which Square-Enix do not own), and this magazine article is basically a reporter interviewing many head designers for games series and asking "will there be sequels to this game". Nothing official whatsoever, and the designers don't really say anything either way anyway.

Preventer Wind
May 8th, 2003, 05:52 PM
Actually I would not be surprised to see a FFVII-2. From what I have read square has never denied making it. In fact it was a lot of their staffs favorite game to make. Not to mention it is probably the most popular FF game ever. It would certainly make a lot of fans happy. I would just be happy with a remake with beautiful new graphics. I would rather there not be voice acting seeing as how some squeaky voiced kid would be Cloud.

legion
May 8th, 2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by the_artist

indeed (though its Dragon Quest in place of Breath of Fire, which Square-Enix do not own)

Oops, my bad. lol

omni vengeance
Jun 10th, 2003, 11:19 PM
ffVII-2. yeah. right

jackinthebox6386
Jul 2nd, 2003, 07:36 PM
i really hop they do come out with FF7- 2. If they do i will rejoice. FF7 was such a great game. If they did, it will be a total sellout.

Jubei
Jul 13th, 2003, 02:56 PM
Final Fantasy VII-2, it would be brillant if they did infact get to work on it, but its never gonna happen. What annoy's me is the way they always let these rumours 'slip' out for the publicity when they have no intentions what so ever of going on them :mad:

kupoartist
Jul 13th, 2003, 03:12 PM
the main problem with a FF7-2 is that FF7 is a PS1 game, and FF7-2 would need to be a PS2 game. Square are lazy. FFX-2 was effectivly just a cheap cash-in, as they could effectivly utilise the FFX engine without much change. FF7-2 on the FFX engine would require a fair bit of work to feel "right" in respect to the styles of FF7, and they'll never develop an entirely new game engine to accomodate a FF7 sequel (far too much work). my guess is that it'll never happen.

But then, I blindly denied that a certain Gun-totting Yuna poster was genuine :happy:

Plug 4
Jul 13th, 2003, 03:44 PM
To me they seem that they have way too many projects (square) to do all they want..so..nah dont think so...I would be damn cool though

Preventer Wind
Jul 15th, 2003, 02:46 PM
the main problem with a FF7-2 is that FF7 is a PS1 game, and FF7-2 would need to be a PS2 game. Square are lazy. FFX-2 was effectivly just a cheap cash-in, as they could effectivly utilise the FFX engine without much change. FF7-2 on the FFX engine would require a fair bit of work to feel "right" in respect to the styles of FF7, and they'll never develop an entirely new game engine to accomodate a FF7 sequel (far too much work). my guess is that it'll never happen.

True... But I wouldn't say they are that lazy. They should know how much they could cash in on a FF7-2. They are no longer in financial problems so the only problem they really have is a ton of projects they are working on. You got FFXI and FFXII due out in the next 1-3 years and I am sure they will get started on FFXIII for the ps3 soon. Not to mention the games for GBA and GC. Maybe they could make a remake of FF7 so they could cash in twice as much.

Not that I really want to see a FF7-2. I liked how there were no sequels. I mean...who would be the villain? Nothing will live up to Sephiroth.

kupoartist
Jul 16th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Preventer Wind
so the only problem they really have is a ton of projects they are working on. You got FFXI and FFXII due out in the next 1-3 years and I am sure they will get started on FFXIII for the ps3 soon. Not to mention the games for GBA and GC.
they don't have so many projects, especially considering that Square-Enix are a combination of two already rather big development studios. Not sure I could name all their upcomming projects, but a lot of the "many" projects that I was going to name: FFTA, FFXI, FFX-2 and Unlimited SaGa aren't in development anymore (they've been released in Japan and are now the responsibiltys of Square-Enix-USA and Square-Enix-Europe).

Even FF Crystal Chronicles is right at the end of it's development Cycle. This leaves... Sword of Mana (also nearly finished, and not even "properly" under development by Square), FFXII, the New Dragon Quest Game (which i'm not even sure whether its under development or not - it may be a work of fiction like the FF7-9 remakes or Passive Smoking) and a FFXI Expansion... and some other game or two (there is at least one- can't remember what it is though). Others are just speculation on games that will happen (KH2), but probably aren't actually progressing right now.

and don't be so sure they're not cheap-asses. They've not made any brave moves ever since the movies.

Preventer Wind
Jul 16th, 2003, 11:22 PM
and don't be so sure they're not cheap-asses. They've not made any brave moves ever since the movies.

Well can you blame them? That movie...was....not so good.

kupoartist
Jul 17th, 2003, 12:06 PM
well... the Mortal Kombat movie wasn't much to hoot about, but did the series descend into a hackneyed repeatative one based on the single gimmick it started with?

... it did. didn't it. Bad Argumentative skills showing through. again.

Preventer Wind
Jul 19th, 2003, 04:13 PM
well... the Mortal Kombat movie wasn't much to hoot about, but did the series descend into a hackneyed repeatative one based on the single gimmick it started with?

Hey....I thought the movie was good. It got a sequel did it not?

kupoartist
Jul 20th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Police Acadamy got several Sequels (ie. Having a Sequel isn't making a point about how good somthing is, just how well it sold), though for a Video Game based Movie to get one is pretty impressive I guess... (and I said that the Games became gimmicky - the movie was "ok")

Hero
Jul 31st, 2003, 02:56 AM
It depends on where the company ventures after first success or failure. The Terminator 2 movie did very well, yet it took ten years for a sequel for that to surface, and when it did, the director/writer that made it popular didn't even step up to the plate. Mortal Kombat 1 was a successful movie, but then again, I was in Junior High when it was released. At the time, I wasn't a very credible movie critic. At this time I watch the movie, and I am quite disappointed. If you contrast it to other movies that came out in its time, (Braveheart, The Rock) then it was not as good as we thought it was. It was a transitional movie that was more like the company's quick cash pot. You won't see a Criterion Mortal Kombat box set any time soon. The other problem was that Midway pocketed all the profit and could only afford Robin Shou, who is not so good of an actor that he wouldn't need support from comedy sidekicks and Christopher Lambert. (Yes, if you watch Mortal Kombat 1, you will realize that Robin Shou's acting and script didn't make him a lively character... Only him being paired with Linden Ashby and Bridgette Wilson, who are both washed up now, made his performance more than dissapointing)

The whole Jean-Claude Van Dam, "Scream dramatically while you slowly strike your opponent" scheme just doesn't fly anymore. Soon, wire frame kung fu will be in the same wash up category. In a few years, you'll look back and realize how much better of a movie We Were Soldiers was compared to The Matrix, just because of all the cliche that arise from it.

Now back to the subject... I am on the_artist's side on this one. Square's developement chart is no where near astounding and they're running out of idea's. Unlimited Saga (Which was released but was so horrible, they better not continue it) and Final Fantasy X2 aren't exactly chart busting RPG's like what 7 and 8 were. They also won't have cycle sales like FF6 does. (People buying it again and again, becoming a collectors item in original form). Other companies are "developing" a feel for good rpg's, (I love making puns) and are striking really hard when the iron is hot for them, and not for Square. Think about it. Final Fantasy X came out, which has controversial success (One person likes it, the next doesn't), and not too long afterward, Konami releases Suikoden 3.

The best sales technique is to release something better AFTERWARD, because you get time to make something that makes people think, "Wow this game is so much better than X(Insert wash up Shaq Fu title here)X, which was made by X(Insert Midway type company here)X, so from now on I'm going to only buy from X(Insert company that, like Sony, played the cards right)X"

It's an advertising scheme, and Square isn't playing by that deck of cards anymore. They went with the rockstar approach. "I made so much money of my other crap, now Im going to make stuff that I wanted to make before, but was scared of not making sales" And it's NOT going to help them in the long run. Merging with Enix only unveils some of Square's new faults, because such a prestigious company used to be sour about merges. (After the thing with Capcom) I think they teamed up with Disney, merely for the fact that Disney is following the same "wash up" path. "All our new stuff doesn't sell, so let's make sequels to the stuff that did". (Final Fantasy X2, The Little Mermaid 2, catch my drift?)

ssjtrunks13
Aug 5th, 2003, 11:52 PM
All those disney sequels are really bad in my opinion, but FFX-2 looks like it's gonna be a credible sequel, honestly.

blindman
Aug 6th, 2003, 11:12 AM
I never payed attention to kingdom hearts because of that reason. Im am hoping for this VII-2 sequel to VII. And i cant wait for X-2 so...

Jubei
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:04 PM
theres no way in hell thier gonna release FFVII-2, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread the only reason FFX-2 was given life was because of FFX already being a Ps2 game.

FFVII on the other hand isnt, and with FFXII and FFXI in production I cant see them working on an entirely new engine for another title.

Would be nice, but its more a publicity stunt than anything else I'm afraid

blindman
Aug 6th, 2003, 10:08 PM
Yeah, i wasnt too exited about FFVII-2 anyway.

ssjtrunks13
Aug 8th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Agreed, I think they ended FFVII very nicely. I can't wait for X-2, sounds like fun.