PDA

View Full Version : Sony to release new version of PS2

Vic Viper
Apr 14th, 2003, 06:02 PM
The new version will include additional DVD playback functionality.

Sony has announced that it will release a new model of its PlayStation 2 that will feature more DVD playback options. In addition to the DVD-R format supported by previous models, the new PlayStation 2 model, SCPH-50000, will support the DVD-RW and DVD+R/+RW formats (the DVD-RAM format will not be supported). Additionally, the DVD output will now support progressive scan (525p).

The SCPH-50000 will not have IEEE 1394 support, but it will have 30 percent less fan noise than previous models, as well as an infrared sensor built in to accommodate a new remote control that Sony is releasing. Along with all the abilities that the previous remote controls had, the new remote control model, SCPH-10420, will have the ability to turn the machine's power on and off, reset the machine, and open the disc tray.

The new PlayStation 2 model and its remote control will be released separately on May 15, priced at 25,000 yen ($207) and 2,200 yen ($18), respectively.

link (http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6025086.html)

:)

DSgamer
Apr 14th, 2003, 07:29 PM
crap man, every time i buy something, another version comes out. o well, im sticking 2 my old ps2

mark0™
Apr 15th, 2003, 12:17 AM
Other than the IR features theres nothing there thats really desirable. The GBA SP had the backlighting, which was why I bought it even though I've got a GBA, but this is nothing great for already-owners of the PS2.

blah.

dan da man
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:35 AM
Looks intresting, but its not a totally new console, im stciking with my ps2, why dont they do it on the ps3?

Spank-A-Thon
Apr 15th, 2003, 07:06 AM
I'm suprised that they took out Firewire (IEEE 1394) support (or in other words - the i-link). I know not many games did support it, but 6-player Gran Turismo is awesome!

Other than that it's nothing more than a new revision of PS2 - this will prob be the 4th or 5th model now I think.

- S

DSgamer
Apr 15th, 2003, 11:16 AM
but it will have 30 percent less fan noise than previous models

does that really matter??? all i do is just crank up da sound

kupoartist
Apr 15th, 2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by gamer

does that really matter??? all i do is just crank up da sound
a fair enough solution, but it does however require that there is any sound to be heard: I think this improvement is intended to go with the new DVD features, so long dramatic silences in movies don't sound like there is a plane trying to get airbourne in the background

MakgSnake
Apr 15th, 2003, 04:10 PM
Ever since I got The DVD remote controls for my Ps2 and Xbox, I always wondered why dont they have an option of opening the trey or shutting off the system. I mean......... how dumb can one be not to put this feature in the first place. Turning on TVs and VCRs with the help of remote took place like 30 years ago.

If this new Ps2 model had a different look to it as well, I might have put a little thought into it, but these crappy features doesn't intrest me. But still cool news, thanks.

Preventer Wind
Apr 15th, 2003, 05:31 PM
They should give a deal....like trade in your old ps2 (As long as it still works ok) and get this new version half off. I already have purchased 2 ps2s so I don't think I will be getting a new one after I discovered this: ps2 disc read error (http://www.geocities.com/djyayo/PS2errorFAQ.txt)

Esjay
Apr 17th, 2003, 05:27 AM
Yuck. I can't believe that ANY company would do something like this...oh wait, one has already, the GBA SP...*sigh*

This is a perfect example of how the common videogame market is becoming more and more cheap, looking for new ways to suck money out of its consumers' pockets, without actually coming up with anything new. All this looks like to me is a quiet version of the PS2. I'm not spending another 200 dollars just to get that. I'm perfectly happy with what I have now.

ssjtrunks13
Apr 17th, 2003, 10:59 AM
So, Will this take the place of the other models? I mean will they stop selling the others and go to this one. I haven't bought a PS2 myself, so I can't complain. I have another question, out of the stuff they took out Will any of it affect how it plays DVDs or restrict things it played before that it won't do now? For example, will it not play the movie DVDs.

XboxKiller
Apr 24th, 2003, 01:40 PM
do you guys think it will play the games better.

and no more DISK READ ERROR

if it does then I'll think about buyin it
because I hate it when I cant play my games:mad:

ToxicUK
Apr 24th, 2003, 02:26 PM
Hmmm... well I got my first PS2 when it came out and then well it had Disc Read Error just before last xmas so i sold it on Ebay and bought the latest model and it doesnt even give any sort of problem at all - it even plays CDRWS and CDRS from any brand...

XboxKiller
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:02 PM
my ps2 sucks
it aint working

XboxKiller
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:03 PM
my ps2 sucks
it aint working

XboxKiller
my ps2 sucks
it aint working

XboxKiller
my ps2 sucks
it aint working

ToxicUK
Apr 25th, 2003, 01:18 PM
You posted that message 4 TIMES!

Anyways why has the article dissapeared. It wont load. It justs says cannot find server. Hmmm... interesting.

XboxKiller
Apr 29th, 2003, 01:27 PM
WOW
I dont remember posting 4 times:peoples:

ToxicUK
Apr 29th, 2003, 03:19 PM
You must have clicked the "Submit Reply" button 4 times for some reason or another...:roll: