PDA

View Full Version : If you have to choose between battle system and story…

aj142
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:24 PM
Which would you compromise in an RPG? Both are very important to me. Which RPGs do you think have the best in each category?

mark0™
Mar 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
Final Fantasy has great storylines which is why I buy them, however I hate turn based fighting, seems so slow and innapropriate, like sumthing thrown in the game so the story line doesnt develop too fast.

Secret of Mana/Evermore or Kingdom Hearts are my fave battle systems, I love fast paced action and I feel that I shouldn't have to rely on a number to determin if an attack hits or misses me. However these games lack in story when compared with the Final Fantasy.

But I think the battle system is much more important, I loved KH so much and played it all the time, but I got sick of FFX because I hated battling and really just wanted to see the story unfold. FFX just seemed like a big movie, and when it came to a battle, that was like a commercial break in the story.

I'd so much like to see remakes of FF games, say FFVII, but only with much better graphics and a Kingdom Hearts Style gameplay. The FFVII characters in KH looked so awesome.

Sword 4 Hire
Mar 22nd, 2003, 06:00 PM
Anything Square is basically golden on the story line...and if you want a sweet battle system then try Grandia...but thats all those games have is battle system...

I don't know...I need both, I can't choose which is more important, you need a good battle system to keep dungeons interesting and to move along in the game...but you need a good story to make a good RPG and keep the attention of the gamer intact...so it's quite hard to say

Rei
Mar 22nd, 2003, 07:36 PM
I agree that both aspects are really important to enjoy a RPG videogame. The story has its importance because if the plot or the characters are bad, you really don't want to see what comes next. You feel you have no interest in playing the game. If the battle system is repetitive or dull, and all the importance is given to the story, you'll have an interactive movie, not a videogame. So, even if I'd say I slightly prefer a game with a good story, I must admit a good gameplay in general is necessary to make you want to play.

Some Final Fantasy games have great stories, but they're terrible when it comes to battle system. They become annoying after some hours because of the repetitiveness of the gameplay. On the other hand, as S4H said, other quite popular RPGs like Grandia don't have very impressive storyline or original characters, but they're surely more entertaining talking about battle system. Some other RPGs, like online ones, or even Morrowind, are really addictive because you have to "create" your own storyline throughout the game, and they surely vary the basic formula of RPGs like Final Fantasy (FMVs+random battles) with puzzles, training, explorations and so on, but the battle system of these games, well, it's not for any kind of players.

Infernal Mass
Mar 22nd, 2003, 08:28 PM
Chrono Cross had an excellent battle system and story. Squaresoft did an superb job maintaing an equalibrium between the two. As of late , i'm enjoyin Xenosaga's battle system. The boost and slot system add a bit of depth to the traditional turn based combat.

If any given game had a weak battle system and excellent story..i don't think i'd be able to put up with it for too long. I'd rather just read a book or something instead. If it was vice versa i'd be able to enjoy the game still..

DigiMortal
- peace

Preventer Wind
Mar 23rd, 2003, 01:28 AM
I play RPGs for the stories. The battle systems don't bore me no matter how basic they are. You don't want to finish a game because the battle system is great. You want to find out the ending.

ssjtrunks13
Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:35 PM
Well, I guess I'd rather see a poor battle system with an incredible story.

David
Mar 25th, 2003, 09:30 AM
It's kinda strange to choose, because it is hard to choose either you like the storyline or battle system. Because if you think the battle system is dumb, would you like to play it, I wouldn't, and the storyline is a very important thing, because everyone nows that the storyline is the interest in the game, so I choose both, without those two things, the game wouldn't be at least half of the games interest without them complete.

aj142
Mar 25th, 2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by DigiMortal

Chrono Cross had an excellent battle system and story. Squaresoft did an superb job maintaing an equalibrium between the two. As of late , i'm enjoyin Xenosaga's battle system. The boost and slot system add a bit of depth to the traditional turn based combat.

If any given game had a weak battle system and excellent story..i don't think i'd be able to put up with it for too long. I'd rather just read a book or something instead. If it was vice versa i'd be able to enjoy the game still..

DigiMortal
- peace

I agree. I don't like to compromise on either, but apparently it's not easy for developers to always get both right. There are those few that really shine through though. I'm enjoying Xenosaga's battle system too. I had to get re-acquainted with the controls, as it's been a while since I've played this type of game, but it's really cool the way they set it up. I also think Xenosaga has one of the best stories in an RPG ~ at least the most unique. What do you think ~ you didn't mention anything about the Xeno-series story, but wouldn't you say that it's quite different from the other RPGs you've played?

Preventer Wind
Mar 25th, 2003, 06:34 PM
Well I think that FFVII had a pretty weak battle system as Rei stated. Maybe average, but still not interesting. And I have put up with that game for 2 1/4 turns around. I tried playing Grandia on two different occasions and I was sick to stomach. The battle system was good but....the rest stunk. Xenosaga has a nice blend of battle system and story line. The battle system makes it interesting at times and the story is solid. Though it does not go overboard at times. I have heard that .Hack has a really good battle system once you get used to it and the story is real good.

I prefer to read books any way so call me crazy. But I look for an interactive reading experience in an RPG. No not one of those books where you skip pages just to reach your ultimate demise but, I guess, like a movie with you controlling it.

Games like Morrowind are addictive, for no reason. Morrowind was just....? The battling was just wacky and the story line was ok. I guess being able to join guilds and undermine a guild is good :laugh:

IcyMourdor
Mar 25th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Story: Lunar

This series has some of the greatest stories I've read. The characters are so vibrant and each have amazing roles to play.

Battle System: Legaia

This series has one of the most innovative and greatest systems ever. I'm STILL trying to get all the moves for my characters in the 2nd Legaia.

aj142
Mar 26th, 2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Preventer Wind
Xenosaga has a nice blend of battle system and story line. The battle system makes it interesting at times and the story is solid. Though it does not go overboard at times.

What do you mean... "though it does not go overboard at times"?

Not sure I understand....

ssjtrunks13
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:07 PM

I tried playing Grandia on two different occasions and I was sick to stomach. The battle system was good but....the rest stunk.

Well, I loved all the Grandia games. I thought they all had good storylines and the battle system is probably the most interesting next to Chrono Trigger. Though I believe Chrono Cross had a less interesting storyline than CT. So, I guess I'd rather have a good battle system with a crappy storyline.

David
Mar 26th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Well, I loved all the Grandia games. I thought they all had good storylines and the battle system is probably the most interesting next to Chrono Trigger. Though I believe Chrono Cross had a less interesting storyline than CT. So, I guess I'd rather have a good battle system with a crappy storyline.

I agree with Trunks, Grandia is the bomb. I loved all of them, and beated all of them. Except Grandia Xtreme, because I rented it, and finished 2/3 of it. But if you seen the battle sysem, and played the game with the storyline, its a master piece.

Preventer Wind
Mar 26th, 2003, 04:23 PM
There may be my problem. I rented Grandia Extreme.

Originally posted by aj142
What do you mean... "though it does not go overboard at times"?

Not sure I understand....

I meant that it goes overboard. As in it gets a little repetitive at times. Damn my fast fingers....

ssjtrunks13
Mar 26th, 2003, 08:53 PM
For those who have just rented the game maybe you should either rent it again or maybe try and find somewhere to buy it, Electronics Boutique or Game Stop might have it but I'm not sure because I got the game near release date and it's been a long time since I've been looking for it.:cool:

aj142
Mar 27th, 2003, 05:23 PM
I meant that it goes overboard. As in it gets a little repetitive at times. Damn my fast fingers....

Ahhh, I gotcha.

Darkness 4 Hire
Apr 2nd, 2003, 11:27 PM
Stories...Squaresoft has by far the best story lines.

Battle System...goes to Kingdom hearts(so much fun)