PDA

View Full Version : The X-boy

JC Denton
Mar 22nd, 2003, 04:29 PM
ok ive heard that xbox are realeseing a condender to the game boy, sometime in the near future all i have heard is that it will actually contain a hardrive,

i would like to know whether this is just a rumor or weather it really is official,

i would also like to know more about it,
has anyone heard anything?

hijakedGTR
Mar 24th, 2003, 10:09 AM
A hand held system with a hard drive wouldn't be so ...well "hand held" :laugh:
But this could be a possibility imo after the nokia n-cage is released so M$ can see how effortless the GBA or soon to be GBAsp (this is what it is called right?) crushes the nokia branded hand held :laugh:

Spank-A-Thon
Mar 24th, 2003, 11:33 AM
I read this article in January and you can find it here (http://gamesradar.msn.co.uk/news/default.asp?subsectionid=159&articleid=64764&pagetype=2).Microsoft planning handheld Xbox?

[09/01/2003: 10:39]
Bill Gates hints at pocket-sized Xbox in three years. He must be joking... right?

Microsoft boss Bill Gates has hinted that the company is looking into producing a handheld games console based on Xbox technology - but that it would take at least another three years to develop.

Speaking to news agency Reuters prior to the Consumer Electronics Show (which kicks off today in Las Vegas), he said, "It'll be several years, more like three years, before you could do something like an Xbox in a portable factor." No kidding.

No other details on a potential XBoy have been revealed. While numerous companies have released quality handhelds over the years - notably Sega's Game Gear and SNK's Neo Geo - none have been able to approach anything near the success of Nintendo's Game Boy.

As Microsoft have proved with Xbox though, they're prepared to throw enough money at projects to make them work - despite getting off to a tentative start, Xbox is now the number two selling console in the UK behind PS2.
That's the only info I have seen about a hand-held XBox.

As for the Nokia Ngage, I don't think it's going to be a handheld console in the traditional sense (i.e. GameBoy), but is being aimed as a communication device that can also play games. The very fact that it is a phone will mean that it will be many times more expensive than GameBoy and hence will not be a competitor. I simply believe Nokia are trying to set a standard for mobile communication & gaming devices.

- S

hijakedGTR
Mar 24th, 2003, 07:54 PM
You proved a very good idea that i overlooked Spank about the n-cage :right:, still i rather doubt the release of the "xboy" :blink:

neerajamania4life
Mar 25th, 2003, 04:39 PM
The x-boy would be a great idea, imagine a portable x-box?

MakgSnake
Mar 25th, 2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by neerajamania4life

The x-boy would be a great idea, imagine a portable x-box?
At some ways it would be as playing something anywhere with Syphon Filter graphics, but the majority of games on Xbox is multi-player (the really good ones atleast). If Xboy could have online technology into it as well, Microsoft would create history record or something. Imagine playing Halo 2 online on train, that would be just plain SICK! :D

dan da man
Mar 26th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Ive seen this in plenty of mags, microsoft said it was a romour "x-boy" although I think in small xbox would be okay.

neerajamania4life
Mar 26th, 2003, 02:54 PM
This would be a brilliant idea although now i come to think of it, you will never get the same amount of fun from this than from a games console. Firstly their would be no controllers which would definatly not let you get the same gaming experiance. Then it would be to small and wouldn't have enough memory or whatever for good graphics and a variety of characters. It wouldn't make a bad mobile phone or a mini-computer to play online games with.

Vicious_2003
Mar 27th, 2003, 06:43 PM
There saying the N Guage is going to be VEERY expensive. The company themselves released in a press conference that it would be under 540 US dollars !. Usually when they say under they mean just a little under. I mean come on,... I wouldnt pay more than 100 dollars for any hand held system. thats crazy....and the Phantom is supposed to be around 600 US dollars on its release..I hope this isnt becoming a trend . (not that I would EVER concider buying a console that played computer games at any price)