PDA

View Full Version : What kind on PC (specs) do I need to run DoomIII

dan da man
Mar 2nd, 2003, 01:51 PM
Ive seen some of DOOMIII and the grapihcs just looks to good and on PC, the best it can offer, can someone estimate the specs please. My graphics card in only 32 MB, Looks like I will have to buy a g-force4 graphics card whatever there called.<<<but I dont want to spend £399 well thats a GeForce FX Ultra Graphics Card. but im going have spend alot.

I probally just have going to doomIII buy for my xbox.:( but still its on live to make up.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2003, 05:27 PM
What are your computer specs?You can't throw a big ass vid card in a small computer because it won't work well.My guess on specs needed would probably be anything above a 2.0ghz with 512 ram and a Radeon 9700.

dan da man
Mar 2nd, 2003, 06:01 PM
Well, 1.8ghz, 256 sd ram(that can be upgraded right?).
Im get a new PC late this year or early 2004, but im not guranteed, with all the other stuff I have to buy.

Sleazy P Martini
Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

256 sd ram(that can be upgraded right?).

If your motherboard will support it. My PC is a piece of crap. 256 is as high as I could go with RAM.

MakgSnake
Mar 2nd, 2003, 09:25 PM
Me gonna buy it on XBOX! :D Me like playing games on Consoles. Me suggest you that you do the same! :)

Berserker
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:47 AM
Maybe get a g-force 2 or 3 it's still a very good vid-card and it's way cheaper.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 3rd, 2003, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by beserker

Maybe get a g-force 2 or 3 it's still a very good vid-card and it's way cheaper.

Sorry but those vid cards probably won't due for doom 3.

dan da man
Mar 3rd, 2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Me gonna buy it on XBOX! :D Me like playing games on Consoles. Me suggest you that you do the same! :)

Yea im going to get on xbox now, mr mario.:laugh:

kupoartist
Mar 3rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
To run it with "those" graphics, you're going to need a beefy system. However, its worth remembering that its not those graphics or nothing.

Take Unreal 2. It runs at a respectable 30fps on My Athlon TBird 900 / 64mb GeForce / 512Mb PC133 Ram. but it looks like... its a bog-standard X-Box game. Nothing fancy graphically, but its playable, and still possible to go "wow" at points. Doom III, is the next thing on from Unreal II graphically, so I expect to be playing with all settings on low and he worst resolution imaginable. But it will probably still play well.

Dan, with your current system, you'll probably be on the middle level. Don't expect to put all the detail settings to "highest", and you shouldn't get any problems. If you want to get some more performance out of it, stick some more RAM in for sure. Don't bother with the processor (even getting a 3Ghz Processor won't speed it up a lot... especially given the £1,000 + close relative asking price). Only consider getting a new GFX card if you've got a GeForce 2 or below.

and on the subject of Doom III, i'm not that excited really. ID Software have never made a decent and involving game, all those they did were liked at the time because there simply was nothing better. ID Software make 3D engines for others to do wonderful things with.... :laugh:

Edit; oh and remember that "GeForce 4 MX" is another way of saying "GeForce 2 GTS"... get the GeForce 4 Ti4200 if you don't want to spend too much.

DSgamer
Mar 3rd, 2003, 06:51 PM
here's what i suggest

ati radeon 9700 128ddr ram, or geforce 4 ti4600 128ddr ram
over 1 gig of ram (sd) or 512 (if ddr)
p4. 3.0 or amd 2.0 (i suggest p4, but ppl say it overheats)
make sure u have a lot of gigs left on ur hdd, im usre this game is gonna need a helluva patches

Hero
Mar 5th, 2003, 08:41 PM
Here's what I have.

Pentium 4 2.4b (533 front side bus)
512 PC800 RDram
128mb GeForce 4 Ti4200 (3.6 ns version)

That's a pretty healthy system if you ask me. Will I be able to play Doom 3 at maximum detail? Probably not, especially with anti-aliasing off.

The game will run well on a GeForce 3 though. I mean the game it self was based on GeForce 3 technology so it will play well on a GeForce 3.

Don't buy an FX unless you have lots and lots of money. If someone had 400 to spend, i would strongly suggest an ATI 9700 Pro and a better processor. The FX isn't that much stronger than the 9700 Pro, and this is coming from an Nvidia fan (me).