PDA

View Full Version : FFXI- A Success or Not?

merylsilverburg
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:17 AM
Do you think FFXI will be a success or not? In Japan, I heard the Japanese were not too thrilled about it. Personally, I don't think it'll be a success, because some people don't like online games especially when it comes to RPGs. But, maybe that's just me.

Hadoken
Feb 24th, 2002, 04:32 AM
i think it`ll do alright. mainly because i`m definitely going to try it.
but i`ve been looking at the live feed and not much goes on.
i just see some testers or whatever walk around. then they leave and dont come back for hours.

Soul Angel
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:10 AM
To tell you the truth I'm not really sure?
One half of me says that it will do well and I hope it does too, but I can also see it not doing to well neither :p
So I'm keeping my options open, but I'll probably get too :sarcams:

LiquidSm0ke
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:19 AM
I voted already, but this is completely off topic:

merylsilverburg: are you a guy or girl?

nanjij
Feb 24th, 2002, 10:30 AM
bad move u offended them either way! man or women

back to the subject
its a ff game how can it not be a success. but i wouldnt by it straight away i'll see wot u guys say before i buy it

LiquidSm0ke
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by nanjij
bad move u offended them either way! man or women

I know, but I'm still curious. ;)

Spirit
Feb 24th, 2002, 12:35 PM
I would not know yet, but of course it might flop, just like ffIX did, but I hope it doesn't b/c I really enjoy ss games :P

merylsilverburg
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LiquidSm0ke
I voted already, but this is completely off topic:

merylsilverburg: are you a guy or girl?

Ha, ha....which one do you think I am? ;) Well, I'm a girl. Could you tell me why you asked this question? I'm not offended, really, I'm just curious to know why.

Back to the topic, I really like RPGs (especially FF) when they're not online, because that way, it feels more personal. Almost like, everyone can experience the adventure in their own way.

LiquidSm0ke
Feb 24th, 2002, 09:59 PM
I asked since sometimes when you post, you sond like a guy, but your username is female. No other reason.

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:20 PM
Personally i think it will do very well.But we won't fully see the pontential of this idea until FFXII comes out

merylsilverburg
Feb 25th, 2002, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by LiquidSm0ke
I asked since sometimes when you post, you sond like a guy, but your username is female. No other reason.

Hey, that's cool, no prob! :) I know I sound like a guy, so sorry if I confused everyone! ;) But, sometimes a guy could have a female username. You'll never know...

I'm just unhappy that they decided to make the next FF online. Many people are into online gaming and some games proved that it works well, such as Phantasy Star Online. That is considered the best RPG for the Dreamcast. I understand that RPG's would be the best type of game to make it online in order to involve people around the world, but there could be many problems too. For example, when I play my FF's, I usually like to roam around and search every crack and nook just in case I missed something. But, what if my other members in my party are the impatient types, and they'll get annoyed with my lagging behind. Wouldn't that cause a problem? At least, that's how I see it.

Soul Angel
Feb 25th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

I'm just unhappy that they decided to make the next FF online. Many people are into online gaming and some games proved that it works well, such as Phantasy Star Online. That is considered the best RPG for the Dreamcast. I understand that RPG's would be the best type of game to make it online in order to involve people around the world, but there could be many problems too. For example, when I play my FF's, I usually like to roam around and search every crack and nook just in case I missed something. But, what if my other members in my party are the impatient types, and they'll get annoyed with my lagging behind. Wouldn't that cause a problem? At least, that's how I see it.

I can see your point there merylsilverburg, I also like to roam around at times and check everything out first before moving on.
I guess when it comes to that people just have to try and join a group of people who don't mind I guess?

But I'm also worried about the battal system and how that will work?
I mean what if you have to wait for a team member to decide on what it is going to do before you can actually make your next move or something? :confused:

talon101
Feb 25th, 2002, 07:20 PM
i think:disturb: it will be a disaster online:weep:

Sword 4 Hire
Feb 25th, 2002, 08:30 PM
It's way too soon for this online nonsense. The idea is still too new and they're taking a major gamble. I say wait till more online games come out and then release one so by then everyone will be familiar with it and it will succeed. Also not many people are gonna try it cause of the cost. You have to buy the game, pay the monthly bill, and also internet expenses right? As far as the battle system, it should be intense, I read that the difficulty level will be through the roof since you can have up to 10+ rpger's fighting along side of you. Die hard gamers who aren't afraid to open their wallet will go for it, but the rest of the crowd (such as myself) will wait for the next console ff.....(hopefully XII)

jenova_jeb
Feb 25th, 2002, 09:42 PM
I have no idea if it'll bomb or be good.

DragonSphere
Feb 26th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
Also not many people are gonna try it cause of the cost. You have to buy the game, pay the monthly bill, and also internet expenses right? As far as the battle system, it should be intense, I read that the difficulty level will be through the roof since you can have up to 10+ rpger's fighting along side of you. Die hard gamers who aren't afraid to open their wallet will go for it, but the rest of the crowd (such as myself) will wait for the next console ff.....(hopefully XII)

Exactly what I was going to say. Not many fans of the series (preferably teenagers, like me) have credit cards that can pay the monthly fees. And I doubt their parents would pay it for them. Oh, and I heard it would be $6.95 a month. :frust:

Sword 4 Hire
Feb 26th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Now I know Square is in debt and everything....but 6.95 a month....now thats ludicrous!

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 26th, 2002, 06:23 PM
It will probably be a sucess if it bombs or not cause if it has the FF name on it people will buy it

merylsilverburg
May 5th, 2002, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Mena
I think it'll do good! Since the game is going back to the "medieval" characters so to speak, I'm sure many fans of the FF series will like that transfer!
The only thing that I don't like is the fact that it will be an on-line game. That to me isn't a good thing. -.-

That's the point, Mena. I was asking if FFXI will be a success because of the online gaming. Sure, it's going to be medieval, but I'm not sure how many people are into that anymore. I know I'm not, which is why I didn't like FFIX as much. But that's just my opinion. :P So, I really don't think that it will be successful.....it's coming out to Japan in May/June, so we'll just have to wait and see what the response there is.

Macceh^
May 6th, 2002, 03:33 AM
hmm $6.95 is the average price for most mmorpgs its not high because its proven that people will pay it take, Dark age of camelot one of the latest on the scene costs $7.00 and thats already attracted a large player base, Ultima Online the same, EverQuest. I agrea its a high price but people wil buy and play it simply because they want to jumop aboard the ff bandwagon so to say.

happy_doughnut
May 8th, 2002, 03:20 PM
I like the medieval stuff. I find it interesting. But now, I think I've my mind. I don't think it's going to be a success anymore. However, I don't think it's going to bomb because of the way it is (ie-characters and such) but rather because you have to do SO many things in order to be able to play it. I've talked to people who love the FF series but are really dissapointed with the fact that it's going to be an online game. I honestly, don't like that either. Also, it's not going to be an online game like Diablo, it's just more... bizarre. I probably am going to end up not being able to play it.
:mad:

Frozen
Aug 4th, 2002, 12:27 AM
I don't know, Meryl-chan. On a beginning I thought that the fact of the game being online would suck big time. I hated the fact that you have to connect, pay a monthly fee, and well, that you are "obligated" to do it if you want to beat it.

But, as more information I got about the matter, I began to change my opinion. At first I said "screw them Squaresoft, I'm not gonna buy this game" But now I'm almost sure I am going to buy the game (there's still more than a year to wait for it, so...)

The fact that you create your own character makes it an outstanding feature IMO. Secondly, I love the graphics and stuff I've seen from screenshots. More over, It can mean that you and me could beat a boss together you know ;) (that's what a friend of mine told me the other day when we were discussing the matter and I pretty much liked the idea:D)

And well, kmnowing that the monthly fees for conection are not that high, I don't think it's that bad.

But as I said in the beginning of the post, I still don't know. I think I am going to buy the game and beat it, but I do not know if it will be a success.

Having also in mind that I've got a job and I make my own money (as many people around here, I am certain) and I spend it in whatever I please, unlike other younger players who may find all this expenses an obstacle and s**t.

AsylumEscapee
Aug 4th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Final Fantasy XI has 90,000+ players July 31
There were those who thought a console-based MMORPG was doomed to fail, but they're a little quieter now.

From videogamereview.com.

kupoartist
Aug 4th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Quite... despite all the crappy launch problems, Japanese gamers stuck with it. They also didn't cuss or blindly overate it until they'd actually played either...

AsylumEscapee
Aug 4th, 2002, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by the_artist
Quite... despite all the crappy launch problems, Japanese gamers stuck with it. They also didn't cuss or blindly overate it until they'd actually played either...
Well, they probably did... But what do I know.
But still, Final Fantasy has a pretty big fan base here in the US. And who knows, maybe they learned something from the flawed release in japan.
And as we can see in japan, people are willing to buy the hard drive. :phew:

AsylumEscapee
Aug 4th, 2002, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Sword 4 Hire
Now I know Square is in debt and everything....but 6.95 a month....now thats ludicrous!

They're in what now? What? When? Why was I not informed?
And thats not that much money.

kupoartist
Aug 5th, 2002, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by AsylumEscapee
They're in what now? What? When? Why was I not informed?
And thats not that much money.

This is an ancient thread btw... mostly likely back when the Film had left them short of cash... though not exactly in debt.

Though I agree with you. 6.95 is actually quite reasonable for a month, when compared to what other MMORPGs charge...

AsylumEscapee
Aug 5th, 2002, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by the_artist
This is an ancient thread btw... mostly likely back when the Film had left them short of cash... though not exactly in debt.
Oh.

Frozen
Aug 9th, 2002, 02:40 AM
I had understood the monthly fee was like 10 bucks :confused:

ToulaPich
Aug 15th, 2002, 12:06 PM
FFXI doesn't deserve to be called a successor, it should be refered to as FF: Online...

But the evolution of a RPG powerhouse like FF, it looks like online gaming is natural and expected.

When the PS3 comes out with it's broadband support built into the primary chip, online gaming will be more common and developers will take advantage of it's potential.