PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell (Why ?)

Vicious_2003
Jan 26th, 2003, 04:52 PM
Ok I rented this game for the X Box yesterday and Im about half way through it after playing it for a looong time. Everything about this game is stunning and its probably the best looking game ive ever played (Ive played alot of games) . In my eyes this game is far and away better than Metal Gear (all of them) . Its the first game ive played where stealth isnt really optional its neccesary. In most games you could get away without using your night vision or sneaking up on people, or hiding bodys. But in SC you absolutely have to do these things in order to be succesful. But anyways if I had to give this game a rating it would be all tens except for one huge flaw . The bullet physics are all wrong. I mean you can have your little airmer (Cross Hair) Pointing directly at a guys back pull the trigger and not even hit him . For some reason I have bullets landing to the far right and left of the hallways when Im pointing right at a guy from 5 feet away. Then some times I shoot twice at them and they die, then other times I shoot them in the head and it acts like the shot never happened. Id say in all the hardest part of the game is trying to kill people with guns, I just dont get how they could make such a greivous error and make the rest of the game nearly perfect . Have any of you whove played this game had that problem or is it just me ?

dan da man
Jan 27th, 2003, 09:37 AM
weapon i am offended, saying splinter cell is better than metal gear, to be honest i got splinter cell and i never got to like it, i just dont know why u think splinter cell is better than metal gear, this is a shock to me.
splinter cell graphics are not all good, on level 3 the oil rig, the cut-scenes graphics were perfetic, when that missile hit the figther jet and exploded. the explosion effects was so crap, the playstation 1 graphics were better than that and im not joking, but the gameplay graphics make up for it even though it should'nt of been like that. and im not joking, overall i think splinter cell is a good game, but no way is it better that metal gear IMO.

KraftSLU
Jan 27th, 2003, 03:36 PM
weapon, I know where you are coming from. Though I love my splinter cell game and have logged tons of hours into it, on thing that always bothered me is the target, as the shooting seems to be a little off. Of course, I only had this problem with the handgun. When I got the rifle and held my breath while shooting, my shots were all dead on.

Vicious
Jan 28th, 2003, 04:27 PM
People say that Splinter Cell is the coolest game ever made, but that is only because most of these "X Box lovers" have never played Metal Gear Solid 2.

KraftSLU
Jan 28th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Liquid Knight

People say that Splinter Cell is the coolest game ever made, but that is only because most of these "X Box lovers" have never played Metal Gear Solid 2.

Yes, of course they have their counterparts who say MGS2 is way better than splinter cell due to the fact that they are usually all "PS2 lovers" as you up it. As someone who has played both, the games, whiles similar in style, are not similar at all in gameplay or flow. You are comparing apples and oranges. Personally, and not because I am an "XBox Lover", I like to play Splinter Cell a bit more. I'm not one for cinematics, though I like a good plot in the game to give it some drive. MGS had way too much plot which ended up being a little convoluted. I also prefer the free floating camera and slower pace that came with Splinter Cell, it gave me a feeling of not only being steathly, but logically solving problems using my intellect. I'm not disparaging MGS2 though, as it isn't a bad game, you just need to realize that SC is good on it's own merits as well.

Silent Assassin
Jan 28th, 2003, 07:45 PM
I agree with Liquid....sometimes i think the reason why some people say that an Xbox game is soo good is because they really dont know any other system's games...like MGS2 was a tight game...and maybe SC is good ..or grand..but couldnt that also be just for XBOX..like dont you think its possible that SC is good for XBOX...but MGS2 is good for PS2....o well for some of u that may be confusing..srry..
peace

Daedaelus
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:36 PM
I agree with Kraft. No way am I saying that SC is better than MGS/MGS2. But, some people, like Vicious have got to see and evaluate each game without bias. You have to understand that MGS is an exceptional game, but SC is very excellent and just as good I might add. Also, by referring to X-BOX fans as "X-BOX Lovers" just causes flames.

Vicious_2003
Jan 28th, 2003, 09:38 PM
Hmmm..I must say you guys are the fan boys here. Ive played all the metal gears and beat them. The newest ones graphics are shit compared to SC. And just because one little cutscene didnt look very good the graphics arent great ?. The newest Metal gear's storyline was bizarre and rather stupid. The game itself was good definatly, really good, im just saying I liked SC better.(Way better looking, Smoother controls) So dont tell me I havent played the PS2 games I talk about because If i hadnt I wouldnt be talking bad about them. And one of the reasons I prefer SC is that I prefer more realistic storylines and its much more believable than MG's. Sorry but no ones arm is going to be transfered to another body and have control over the host. Dont get me wrong I liked MG alot but saying SC is just a "Good" game is a major understatement . It got next to perfect ratings for a reason . And ya know why it got great ratings form Magazines and you guys are saying it was just "good' its because your biast against X Box (Maybe just a little maybe alot) . The only people I ever hear say that games like "Halo" and "Splinter Cell" are just good are PS2 fans (So make the connection there) But lets face it when you favor one system over the other your opinions on games are effected. Even mine are sometimes, I notice like when I said "Far and away better than the MG's" that was a bit overboard. I like SC better but not "far and away". So please dont tell me what games I have or have not played because well...thiers no way you could possibly know.

P.S Aguilla, so your saying that Im not allowed to like SC over the Metal Gears ?. I have perfectly good reasons too. Ones opinion, ones fact. The graphics are much better (Doesent make a huge difference but its nice) and I dont like Metal gears storyline . Also you can be more stealthy in SC, i prefer that as well. Were all entitled to our opinions dont tell me im not. And im not biast enough to effect the way I see the quality of a game, both games are excellent indeed.Its your boy Dan thats being bias here. lol, hes the one thats dissing SC just because of one cutscene that didnt look all that good (Big friggin deal). And this thread was just about seeing if anyone else was having the problems I was having or not, not to compare two excellent games , perhaps I shouldnt have mentioned my opinion on the game, I regret that. So maybe if your going to continue a thread dan you should do it by continuing the subject rather than starting a debate on something entirly different. If youd like to talk over the pro's and con's of the MG series as copared to Splinter Cell start a new thread about it dont inturrupt this one please. I apologise for continuing that worthless debate

MakgSnake
Jan 28th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_XZ84

The newest ones graphics are shit compared to SC. And just because one little cutscene didnt look very good the graphics arent great
Man, I didn't even try to read your post, after reading that line. Muhuwhahahhah...... :laugh: Sorry for being like this, I am not making fun, but its just funny.
People have choices, I agree........ you have your own, good for you. I have an opinion too, Splinter Cell is a good game, cause of the gadgets and all the moves Sam has, but its graphics are so freaking crap, and soo many freaking bugs in the game.....that I dont even wanna talk about it. The character movement of the AI is just like how characters moved in Resident Evil 1 in PsOne TO BE HONEST! Watch them carefully.

Choices are choices.

Vicious
Jan 29th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Ive played all the metal gears and beat them. The newest ones graphics are shit compared to SC.

Metal Gear Solid 2 is a couple of years or so older than Splinter Cell, of course the graphics are going to be worse than Splinter Cell's.

dan da man
Jan 29th, 2003, 03:07 PM
weapon, i wouldnt class myself as a console fanboy because i like all 3 next gen consoles, its just that you said splinter cell is better than mgs so its about to start a debate. i do like splinter cell that what i bought my xbox for, lets not argue, choices are choices and i just think metal gear is better.

Vicious_2003
Jan 29th, 2003, 09:15 PM
Agreed but when people say stupid things like "Its Graphics are so freaking crap" in refference to a game wich has the best graphics ive ever seen (SC scored a perfect or damn near it in the graphics catagory in every game magazine ive read) . Yes I respect everyones opinion and its not right to say if someones is right or wrong but when somone says something as assonine as that I have to say atleast something. Kraft, play the game or open your freaking eyes , either you have some kind of mental disorder that prevents you from seeing reality or you just flat out havent played Splinter Cell before, the graphics are amazing compared to just about any game on the market. (Sept for that one 3 second cut scene wich had crappy effects ill admit that). Ahem sorry but I just cand stand by and see people say stupid sh*t like that, in this case I DONT respect your opinion Kraft. (And no I dont expect you to respect mine) Case closed.

P.S Dan, didnt mean to start a debate, my bad. But once you get started its hard to stop aint it

Harry
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Agreed but when people say stupid things like "Its Graphics are so freaking crap" in refference to a game wich has the best graphics ive ever seen (SC scored a perfect or damn near it in the graphics catagory in every game magazine ive read) . Yes I respect everyones opinion and its not right to say if someones is right or wrong but when somone says something as assonine as that I have to say atleast something. Kraft, play the game or open your freaking eyes , either you have some kind of mental disorder that prevents you from seeing reality or you just flat out havent played Splinter Cell before, the graphics are amazing compared to just about any game on the market. (Sept for that one 3 second cut scene wich had crappy effects ill admit that). Ahem sorry but I just cand stand by and see people say stupid sh*t like that, in this case I DONT respect your opinion Kraft. (And no I dont expect you to respect mine) Case closed.

P.S Dan, didnt mean to start a debate, my bad. But once you get started its hard to stop aint it

I don't agree with you. Splinter Cell has less than stellar framerate, many of the worst character animations I've ever seen in a high-budget video game (looking at Sam jumping - sorry, floating - sincerely shocked me the first time). After you've played games with in-game character models like those in Metal Gear Solid 2, Silent Hill 2, Devil May Cry 2 how can you look at Sam in action and think - "damn this game is the best looking game ever". Where Splinter Cell truly shines is only in the lighting department... but that's not enough for me to give a game a 10 in graphics. Of course, I completely understand that a company like UbiSoft can't afford the production values of Konami or Capcom games.

Splinter Cell is a good game, I like it, it took me quite a long time to complete it, but it was not the experience I was expecting.

Btw, stay calm (everyone), or I'll lock the thread.

dan da man
Jan 30th, 2003, 10:45 AM

I do agree, splintell does have the best graphics of any third person adventure at the moment, so lets not go on about it just talk about splinter cell what the thread is about.

It is :laugh: