PDA

View Full Version : Splinter Cell: PS2 - XBox Comparison

KraftSLU
Jan 21st, 2003, 10:56 PM
So I found a thread on another site that had a graphical comparison between the new PS2 version of SC and the Xbox version. I'm not one to run around bashing the PS2, but I didn't think there would be this dramatic of a difference between them...
Here is the PS2 version of the scene:
http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/01/10/scellps2/scellps2_0110_screen013.jpg
And here is the Xbox version of the same scene:
http://home.attbi.com/~ellusion/SC001.gif

Now, these aren't the highest quality images of the games (the xbox version is a gif...), but you can see the difference. Is that really the best ubisoft can do for ps2?

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:19 PM
I don't know why but it just seems that all game developers don't give any effort into ports.I don't know why they don't put in more time.Its like they don't care and think "we'll hell its looks like crap but we'll still make money."

DSgamer
Jan 21st, 2003, 11:43 PM
that's the problems with games nowadays, ppl just make games to make money, it isn't like back-in-da-dayz when games were made with love (not all of them, but most of them)

MakgSnake
Jan 22nd, 2003, 12:21 AM
There is so much content on one stage, its hard to put that in with the PS2. Its an year old system you know. And on that, what SSSnake said.... they dont really tend to really work on it. As I am pretty sure they have made alot of money from the Xbox version, they know that people would buy the Ps2 version, as they craved for it, seeing it on another console, but not being able to even touch it. Damn these people......seriously!

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:46 AM
To be honest, I'm not really to phased by the graphical differences - I'm buying it on PC anyway which should blow both the PS2 and XBox versions out of the water anyway.

But it sure is frustrating, not to mention disappointing, to see conversions that look as if they were rushed... An excellent way to alienate potential customers, both present and future...

- S

dan da man
Jan 22nd, 2003, 11:19 AM
i still think xbox version will be better than the ps2 and gamecube because xbox makes use with its harddrive.

kupoartist
Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:32 PM
Its possibly a little bit harsh to compare those two... The PS2 version is clearly work in progress. Look at the diference in lighting and the lack of the door on the right for evidence of that.

However, that probably isn't all that far from the finished article. It genuinely looks like they've moved from the Unreal Warfare engine (6 months old) to the Unreal Tournament one (4 years old), and why? My guess is that the PS2 can't actually run games this advanced - even the X-Box reportedly has trouble with frame-rates in Unreal Championship (and thats not even on a very high detail level anyway.) For the underpowered PS2 to stand a chance.. no way. But perhaps this looks a little too dumbed down... (its not even Deus Ex standard :shock: )

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:32 PM
Wow....those 2 screens...ugh

ssjtrunks13
Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:21 PM
I didn't really think about getting this game but if I did I still would have got it for PS2 anyway.

dan da man
Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

I didn't really think about getting this game but if I did I still would have got it for PS2 anyway.

trunks dont get splinter cell!!!!
i own it for xbox and to be personal it is sh*t, why did it get all the hype?
the game does have amazing graphics, but thats only the light shining affect, comon this game is a cheap rip off from meta gear solid. that my opion.

Sleazy P Martini
Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

trunks dont get splinter cell!!!!
i own it for xbox and to be personal it is sh*t, why did it get all the hype?
the game does have amazing graphics, but thats only the light shining affect, comon this game is a cheap rip off from meta gear solid. that my opion.
I disagree!!! It's not a rip off at all. Plus Its harder than MGS....ALOT harder. I recommend it 100% (be prepared to throw your controller a few times though :D )

MakgSnake
Jan 22nd, 2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini

I disagree!!! It's not a rip off at all. Plus Its harder than MGS....ALOT harder. I recommend it 100% (be prepared to throw your controller a few times though :D )
First of all, its not a rip off of Metal Gear, but Syphon Filter, and well I do agree that the only "GOOD GRAPHICS" that were hyped is the "Lighting Effect" <---- that is pretty amazing. But character animation/movement and AI is horrible. Especially when your walking down the stairs, Sam Fisher is always flying in the air, then stepping on the stairs.

Its a good game though, I am not finding it hard at all. I dont know, well I didn't find MGS2 hard as well, just finding the bombs were HARD.

Splinter Cell is a great game, but please do NOT compare it with MGS, it doesn't come close to it, AT ALL!!!

dan da man
Jan 23rd, 2003, 11:20 AM
I said it was my opion, so that i think splinter cell is a copy of metal gear solid which it is! a guy infiltrating buildings, stelatlh, the lot is in mgs, yes we cant even compare these games, metal gear solid wins by miles, splinter cell was so fustrating, thats why didnt like it, i got far in the game level 7 but havent played it since.

Beretta55
Jan 23rd, 2003, 12:18 PM

I said it was my opion, so that i think splinter cell is a copy of metal gear solid which it is! a guy infiltrating buildings, stelatlh, the lot is in mgs, yes we cant even compare these games, metal gear solid wins by miles, splinter cell was so fustrating, thats why didnt like it, i got far in the game level 7 but havent played it since.
what's wrong with a little challange?;)
But i dont compare these game's because i just dont feel like it. But to me these game's are even when i feel like goofing around and messing with guard's mind's i play MGS. when i fill like fustrating myself and knocked guard's out i play splinter cell. Im going to buy splinter cell soon just dont know when but then again there is alway's my birthday:P

dan da man
Jan 23rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Frostman445

what's wrong with a little challange?;)
But i dont compare these game's because i just dont feel like it. But to me these game's are even when i feel like goofing around and messing with guard's mind's i play MGS. when i fill like fustrating myself and knocked guard's out i play splinter cell. Im going to buy splinter cell soon just dont know when but then again there is alway's my birthday:P

yes i like a challenge, its just i dont like the game.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 23rd, 2003, 04:27 PM
Isn't this game based on a Tom Clancy book? or Was it just this guy's idea for a game?

dan da man
Jan 23rd, 2003, 05:37 PM

Isn't this game based on a Tom Clancy book? or Was it just this guy's idea for a game?

i dont know, all i know he made the game.

MakgSnake
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:43 PM

I just learned that Splinter Cell is not based on a NOVEL or a Book by Tom Clancy. He hasn't written a book called Splinter Cell, He merely approved Ubi Soft's concept.

Zone
Feb 3rd, 2003, 11:58 PM
Some interesting new details.

Ubi Soft announced today it's nearly finished with the PlayStation 2 version of Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell, including several upgrades and extras exclusively for Sony's console.

In development with Ubi Soft's Shanghai studio, Splinter Cell (due in March 2003) was an exquisite-looking game on Xbox, and has had to endure transitional changes from the powerful Xbox to the more complicated-to-program-for PS2. But according to Ubi Soft, the game has come through the process with flying colors. Ubi Soft has added new levels, gadgets and cinematics to the PS2 version for starters.

Re-creating the dynamic lighting and shadow system from the Xbox version, the game now offers new weather and ambient environment effects, such as hazy heat, reflective surfaces, sea waves and depth and focus blurring.

Additionally, Ubi Soft will bring the excellent sounding special effects from the Xbox over, using a triple streaming process to separate individual voices, sound effects and music, then rendering them in Dolby Pro Logic II for realistic and chilling effects.

"We have added stunning visual and sound effects that have never before been seen on the PlayStation 2 -- really maximizing the capabilities of the system," said Tony Kee, vice president of marketing, Ubi Soft. "Then we added more of what made the Xbox game so cool, adding new levels, gadgets and cinematics that really make Splinter Cell on the PS2 an incredible gameplay experience in its own right. Yet again, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell will change how gamers look at their consoles!"

Source: IGN (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/384/384820p1.html)

dan da man
Feb 4th, 2003, 08:50 AM
Did you guys know its coming out on the gamecube aswell?

ssjtrunks13
Feb 4th, 2003, 11:56 AM
That's interesting and I now see why they would put "Tom Clancy's" in the title because at first I thought if he didn't write a book then why would it have his name in it.

MakgSnake
Feb 5th, 2003, 12:29 PM
"Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell will change how gamers look at their consoles!"

Thats a very funny statement. Seriously..... it sure goes very well with MGS2 though.

Beretta55
Feb 5th, 2003, 12:45 PM

Did you guys know its coming out on the gamecube aswell?
yes i did. but for the GC version it got pushed back. releases in may.

dan da man
Feb 5th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

"Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell will change how gamers look at their consoles!"

Thats a very funny statement. Seriously..... it sure goes very well with MGS2 though.

Same here, it didnt change the way I look at consoles, mgs2 did though.:D

mark0™
Feb 5th, 2003, 01:45 PM

That's interesting and I now see why they would put "Tom Clancy's" in the title because at first I thought if he didn't write a book then why would it have his name in it.

Because the guy is a Military Guru, hence why all his books are military/government related, he's the ideal partner to help make the game.

Plus his books don't have enough action to make a game out of without adding in extra stuff (like Rainbow 6) So the developers make they're own mission, and Tom Clancy probably over sees it all to try and keep it as close to the truth as possible.

MakgSnake
Feb 5th, 2003, 06:45 PM
I just finished watching Splinter Cell trailer for the Playstation2, and man it looks awesome. Makes me want to buy the game for the PS2 now. Its look beautiful, with new cinmatics and new gear and gadgets. WOW! And that trailer is awesome. Its like PS2 talking to us. NICE!

dan da man
Feb 5th, 2003, 07:06 PM
So its better then the xbox version! damn, has it got anynew guns because the xbox version only has two which is crap, becuase i like my guns in a game!!

Harry
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:20 AM
WQe have just added 16 bew screenshots taken from the Playstation 2 version, with lighting implemented.

Just click here (http://www.ps2fantasy.com/scripts/screenshots.php?gid=187)

ssjtrunks13
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:34 AM
Those screen shots look nice. I'd only rent the game though. So, the first pictures shown weren't finished? Here I was thinking the game had been released alredy. Next time it would be nicer if someone could make sure both versions are at least finished, just felt like saying this and didn't mean anything negative by it.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 11:36 AM
Nice screen shots, but they just look the same as xbox. but honestly I think xbox splinter cell version is just a bit better!

But we will see when its released.

MakgSnake
Feb 7th, 2003, 03:22 PM
Hey thanks Harry for the screens, they look sweet. Man its amazing to see that effects on Ps2. I do get a feeling that Ps2 would get a better Gamplay (It always does).

But that white gear Sam is wearing is outstanding.

dan da man
Feb 7th, 2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

I do get a feeling that Ps2 would get a better Gamplay (It always does).

I have to agree with you on that one, the xbox gameplay could be so fustrating!