PDA

View Full Version : MGS2 Female characters

Pu the Owl
Feb 22nd, 2002, 10:19 PM
This not only a "what's your fave MGS2 fave female character" thread.
As I was talking to a friend of mine, and he's a great MGS fan, we were thinking about the fact that in MGS2 female characters seem to be much more heroic than male characters.

*MEGASPOILERS EVERYWHERE*

I'm not referring to Rose, which is not a complete character, because you only talk to her thru codec, and you only see her in the final part of the game.

I'm talking of Olga, Fortune and also Emma.
They all seem secondary characters if compared to male ones, but in the end they act as protagonists in some parts of the game.
Olga spends a lot of time in disguise and you don't know much about her because you don't think there could be any link between her and the ninja. Then, you discovered she saved your life during the whole game. And she also dies for saving her child.
Tragic, isn't it?

Then Fortune: she seems cursed and in the end, during the dialogue with Ocelot you discover she was not really cursed, but it was a Patriot's trick... Then the miracle: before dying she really shows she has those "psychic powers". It probably was one of the best scenes of the whole game IMO.

And what about Emma? You think she's a stupid young girl and you find her kinda annoying, then you discover the truth about her relationship with Otacon and the tragedy behind their story.
And...she dies too...

I wonder if Kojima decided to kill all of them because they really were the strongest characters of the game. In some parts they're much more stronger than Raiden and also Solid Snake...not to mention Ocelot (that bastard! GRRRRRR :D) and Vamp...
I think they are so strong that making them come back in a sequel would have been a bit "dangerous" for their male companions...

I don't know if you got what I was trying to say...Oh well...

merylsilverburg
Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:19 AM
Oh, I completely understand what you're talking about, Fortune! You have a REALLY good point there! I would've never thought of that, actually. You're right, these women really are strong characters, and I think, Kojima making them get killed off is a good thing because it shows that symbolic strength they possess. They all died for a certain cause, though one may not be as significant as the other, it was still a reason. I applaud you, Fortune! :cool: You really analyzed it throughly and you put it into words so well. I can never do that. But, when you said that people would've never thought that Olga would be connected to the Ninja....actually, I knew it was her when I first heard her on the Codec. It was quite simple to figure out, since the sound was very alike. I dunno, maybe that's just me.

Black Waltz
Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:25 AM
I didn't know Olga was the ninja.
Don't laugh at me but I was trying to guess who the ninja was very hard!
I also thought it was that Stillman who dies during the game! I was desperate!
I hoped it was Liquid Snake who came back with a mechanical arm too.

*feels so stupid*

Pu the Owl
Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:13 PM
Lol @ Black Waltz :laugh:

Don't feel stupid: I know lots of other people who tried to guess and was shocked when they discovered the ninja was Olga. That's why I wrote these words. As for me I had the suspect from a certain point of the game, but obviously, knowing the complexity of the game, I wasn't 100% sure.

GaseousSnake
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:24 PM
Bravo Fortune.I never did notice it but your absolutely right.The gals did die for a very strong reason,i have a feeling it will all be explained in mgs3

MakgSnake
Feb 23rd, 2002, 03:51 PM
Yes, The Female Characters Were Great In MGS2, They Were Awesome In MGS1 As Well..

But U Saying That They Were Major And The Reason They Were Killed In MGS2 Because, They Might Have Dominated The Sequal And All.....I Dunno About That!.! (IMO)

U See........Olga Was A Great Character........I Really Liked It. The What I Loved More ABOUT Olga Was Her (Storyline) She Being Pregnant And Her Baby Taken Away. (Gives Us An Amazing Mission To Save The Baby In the Next Sequal) If She Had Survived Then.......She Herself Would Try To Take Down The Patriots In Some Manner (As She Herself Is A Combat Buddy). So She Was Killed. Her Story Gives Us (Solid Snake) A Very Good Sequal Mission.

Fortune On The Other Hand........(Kojima Wanted To Creat A Character That Amazed The Players) Like Mantis (To Recreate The Scripted Shadow Mosses Incident) Thats Why Kojima Handed Her With the "GIZMO" The New High Tech Equipment. And The Only Reason........That LAST Scene Was Shown In Which SHe ACTUALLY Proves That She Is Lady Luck Was Cause, Kojima Didn't Want Us (Players) To Laught At Her Character By Saying "Lol, She Was Fooled All Along, How Sad And Dumb Is That".......So To Shock All the Players, That One LAST Amazing Scene Was Done. (This Is All What I Think). I Agree With U. That Fortune's Scene Is One Of The Best Ive Ever Seen.

And I Think...The Reason Fortune Captured Snake....Because....Snake Himself Handed Himself Over To Her. As He Knew That She Doesn't Know Who Really Killed Her Father And She Wouldn't Believe Snake If He Tells Her That He Didn't Do It. So Instead Of Killing Her (Which I Believe He Could Have But Didn't), He Handed Himself Over, So She Could Find Out Herself (But I Dont Think She Did).

Neways.........And I Think Fortune's Technology "GIZMO" Was Introduced, So It Could Be Used In MGS3 As A MAIN Important FEATURE Of The Game, Something Like... Stealth Camaflouge And Stuff Like that. And May Be ONCE U Finish The Game With ALL The DogTAGS Again in MGS3, U Might Get That Technology "GIZMO".

And Through Out The Game Fortune Wanted To GET Killed Or Wanted To Die. So It Was Coming All Along That She Would Die In One Way Or The Other!.! She Had To Die, To Make Her Spiritually Happy!

As For E.E, She Is An Amazingly CUTE Character. And Snake Even LIKES Her ALOT!!!.!!! Soo Much That He Wanted To Ask Her Out (Lol)

Neways.....E.E Was An Important Character But She Stood AlongSide Otacon, Just Like Otacon Was There In MGS1, She Was Here in MGS2. No Other Reason. So Can U Say That Otacon Can Take Over Snake's Place?.?

As For Raiden, He Wasn't A Strong Character That Much, So Many Characters Can Dominate Him And EVEN Dominated Him In This Game. But Then Again, His Character Was Suppose To Be That Way. Young And Naive. So Its Cool!.! :)

merylsilverburg
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
As For Raiden, He Wasn't A Strong Character That Much, So Many Characters Can Dominate Him And EVEN Dominated Him In This Game. But Then Again, His Character Was Suppose To Be That Way. Young And Naive. So Its Cool!.! :)

Boy, you've got THAT right! :laugh:

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 23rd, 2002, 06:59 PM
Its Ironic how raidens weak character at the end of the game dominated solidus strong character

Rei
Feb 24th, 2002, 02:05 AM
I think MGS2 female characters are probably the best I've ever seen in a videogame, apart from Aeris that is the best female character in RPG games IMO.

Usually female characters of Adventure games are dumb and all they have to do is look vaguely sexy. That's really annoying. Makes me think all players are stupid to think those bunch of pixels are good characters only for physical appearance.

MGS games are different, because the greatest part of female characters are really deep and well developed.

merylsilverburg
Feb 24th, 2002, 01:25 PM
I agree with you, Rei. It really bugs me about your reason too. But, for a game like this, the female characters kinda have to be well-developed and intellectual, in order to fit the atmosphere of this type of dramatic game. I mean, can you imagine an airhead playing as Meryl? That would be the worst. :disturb:

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 24th, 2002, 11:35 PM
Yeah the women of metal gear do play some big roles and the words they speak seem to be some of the most memorable things remembered

Pu the Owl
Feb 26th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Rei
I think MGS2 female characters are probably the best I've ever seen in a videogame, apart from Aeris that is the best female character in RPG games IMO.

Usually female characters of Adventure games are dumb and all they have to do is look vaguely sexy. That's really annoying. Makes me think all players are stupid to think those bunch of pixels are good characters only for physical appearance.

MGS games are different, because the greatest part of female characters are really deep and well developed.

Ah! That's sooo true!!!

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 26th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Wow! Rei statemen makes some good sense.I never realized that all the female characters actually have something to them now that i think about it.Mei ling, Naomi, Meryl, Wolf, Olga, Emma, Rose, Fortune they all have a story behind them and play big roles instead of heavy pixelated chicks with no roles

Reid
Feb 27th, 2002, 09:08 PM
I think it really shows great writing skills to develop so many characters in such a short period of time in the game.
Also, the writer (who I think is male) writes both women and men exceptionally.
Hmmm . . . maybe that's why MGS is so good.
:p

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 27th, 2002, 09:53 PM
God if it is a guy who writes the dialogue and makes up the characters.He must be good with the lady's if he can make then seem so life like on games.