PDA

View Full Version : New GBA.

Vic Viper
Jan 7th, 2003, 04:34 PM
yep Nintendo is releasing a revised version of GBA.

Article. (http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2908144,00.html)

pic 1 (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/01/07/gbasp_screen001.jpg)
pic 2 (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/01/07/gbasp_screen008.jpg)
pic 3 (http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2003/news/01/07/gbasp_screen005.jpg)

what do you guys think ? looks tiny..:laugh: and damn it, i just got a GBA now their releasing this. yea thanx alot nintendo.:mad:

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 7th, 2003, 05:41 PM
Looks sweet

dan da man
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:02 PM
whoa!! that looks cool, i just sold my gba! but this looks cute and compact, i might get it, whens the release?

Frozen
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:31 PM
I'm glad I haven't got one yet. I shall get it by summer with Metroid Fusion :B

DSgamer
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:25 PM
GODDAMN!!! that looks sweet, since i dont have a GBA im getting that one

Daedaelus
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Sweet! I will most defiently have one, even though I already have a GBA. It looks like the classic GB, so I'll get one just to be nostalgic.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:53 PM
I too have a GBA... and this new version, the GBA SP, is basically an admittance by Nintendo that they naffed the first one up.

It's the same hardware in a new flip-top case...

but

They've added a backlight to the screen, and it has an in-built rechargeable battery which is good for 10 hours with backlight, and 18 without.

One of my biggest complaints with GBA has been that you really do need perfect lighting conditions to even play the damn thing - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was nearly damn unplayable due to the overly dark palette Konami chose.

I wonder what Nintendo are going to do for those of us who bought GBA on day of release (like I did)... This is as much a smack in the face as Konami releasing MGS2: Substance is... I don't think it is right I should be expected to buy a product twice in order to get the 'fixed' version...

Grrrr.... :mad:

- S

Harry
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:59 PM
It's nothing extraordinary, really. There are good peripherals that you can buy to add "light" to your classic GBA - and you can even modify it with a perfect backlight that you can buy everywhere on the net.

And MGS: Substance is really not that different from the infamous VR missions disk... leaving aside the VR missions (and Sons Of Liberty, of course), I found the other stuff on the Xbox game far from being extraordinary.

Daedaelus
Jan 7th, 2003, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by Harry

It's nothing extraordinary, really. There are good peripherals that you can buy to add "light" to your classic GBA - and you can even modify it with a perfect backlight that you can buy everywhere on the net.

True, people can buy modifications to add backlights, but this will be great for people how don't have a GBA and don't want to pay for the extra mods.

Harry
Jan 7th, 2003, 08:11 PM
Yes Iguana, but the classic GBA retails for $70, the SP model will cost roughly $100 in U.S., and about $130 in Europe. And it's not impossible that the price of the classic GBA will drop before the release of the new version.

DragonSphere
Jan 8th, 2003, 01:39 AM
I kind of agree on Spank with this one; I've had my GBA for well over a year now, experiencing the same problems, and Nintendo only now decides to release the new model...just when I have hardly any money in my wallet. I was never too keen on modifying my current GBA, so the SP model does look rather interesting. (And the report does say that it is just as comfortable to play as the other gameboy models.)

Nintendo should at least offer those who already have the current GBA to trade it in as credit towards buying the new version, even if it was meant to only "complement" it.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:36 AM
One of my biggest complaints with GBA has been that you really do need perfect lighting conditions to even play the damn thing - Castlevania: Circle of the Moon was nearly damn unplayable due to the overly dark palette Konami chose.
I know what you mean, I've been playin ght egame for a few weeeks and I need to be right under a light source in order to see the monsters.:frust:

Man! and I just got the limited Platinum edition of GBA thinking it was the newest for longer than about a month. The credit idea would be awesome.

MakgSnake
Jan 8th, 2003, 11:31 AM
I was planning to get one, hmmmm........this one looks like a small version of a Laptob. But I like the normal GBA. Still if my mind changes, I might as well get this one only.

dan da man
Jan 8th, 2003, 06:44 PM
i got some pics to compare the size!

http://www.game.uk.com/guideto/gbasp_size1.jpg
http://www.game.uk.com/guideto/gbasp_size2.jpg
http://www.game.uk.com/guideto/gbasp_size3.jpg

what do u think?

ssjtrunks13
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:52 PM
It looks like the new GBA might be heavier.

MakgSnake
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

It looks like the new GBA might be heavier.
Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. But its more compact and I think the screen is a little bigger. If its not heavy its the perfect choice and the backlight already in it and ON TOP of that having a rechargable battery. I think its an amazing deal. I am already getting on its side. Best Buy will be getting it in MARCH......and I am having my eye on it! ;)

ssjtrunks13
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:39 AM
I would get it if I had a job. I've always wanted to work at best buy.

dan da man
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:48 AM
whats best buy?
i know its a shop what kind?

MakgSnake
Jan 9th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

whats best buy?
i know its a shop what kind?
Well its basically a big shop full of latest technology producuts, full of electronics, from Car/Home Audio to Computers, from Home Theatre to Video Games, Digital Imaging to WireLess Cells, Home Appliances to BoomBoxes and CD/DVDs. For more info check this (http://www.bestbuy.com) out.

And SSj, why dont you apply for it. The first interview in online. Give it a try.

When yesterday I mentioned about GBA SP, everybody knew it and all of the employees were excited about it. Seems like this little baby is gonna sell extremely well. Just a feeling.

DSgamer
Jan 9th, 2003, 09:18 PM
makg, is there any way of reserving it on best buy?

MakgSnake
Jan 9th, 2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by gamer

makg, is there any way of reserving it on best buy?
Well yes, you can definately Pre-Order it before it release date, but before that....you have to check the BestBuy website and see if they are even taking the Pre-Orders right now or not. The Pre-Order system usually starts few weeks before the actual release. As of now, there are more then 9 weeks left or something. I really doubt the Pre-Orders have started. If not you can wait and check after 3 weeks time and if its on, just make an account there for free and Pre-Order it. And when it releases, it'll reach your house in 2 to 3 days time for sure! :)

As for me, I dont have to do that.....I can keep one aside for myself whenever I see the Box Arrive, so no more Pre-Orders for any Gaming Products for me! ;) :D

DSgamer
Jan 9th, 2003, 11:43 PM
man, i envy u

ssjtrunks13
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:48 AM
I tired over the summer but when I went to see what places were hiring and the one closest to where I live wasn't hiring. Now that I'm in school and if I don't do my english work I will not graduate from high school this year. And if I don't do that my parents will be furious with me and certain reletives will not have respect for me(I think). I also have a hard time managing the time I play video games and doing homework so a job would probably put me in trouble, but after I graduate(hopefully) I will be trying to get a job at Best Buy.

dan da man
Jan 10th, 2003, 11:06 AM
thanks makg for info, the site is cool:cool:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 10th, 2003, 11:56 AM

I go there all the time to find out stuff, and yes it is cool.:cool:

mark0™
Jan 10th, 2003, 07:02 PM
I own Every Model of the Gameboy out since the original chunky one, I aint gonna stop now, its the flip screen and the backlight that attracts me a lot, I hat having to squirm around trying to get a light for it, plus you cant really play it in bed if your lying on your back, so yeah im getting it, its not too expensive.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 10th, 2003, 07:06 PM
I don't think it is that expensive so as soon as I can I am going to get it.

MakgSnake
Jan 10th, 2003, 08:39 PM

Your most welcome ... :)

And Gamer, the BestBuy site has started taking Pre-Orders, so check it out!

GBASP (http://www.bestbuy.com/videogames/index.asp?m=937)

DSgamer
Jan 10th, 2003, 10:07 PM
sweet man, im pre-ordering 2day

ssjtrunks13
Jan 11th, 2003, 10:48 PM
I knew it! I knew they would come out with a new Gamboy soon(but not this soon)that would make my GBA obsolete.:P

DSgamer
Jan 12th, 2003, 12:32 AM
chill dude, its still the same thing

ToxicUK
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:48 PM
I already have the new ocnsole on order because i scratched up my GBA's screen as it is. I was gonna buy platinum but ill by the new one.:cool:

ssjtrunks13
Jan 14th, 2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by ToxicUK

I was gonna buy platinum but ill by the new one.:cool:

Good idea seeing as the two colors are platinum or azure. I would have decided to get this new GBA if I had of heard about a month earlier. I'll just have to wait to get a job this summer.

ZeroBeat77
Jan 22nd, 2003, 01:39 AM
pretty late to say dis but hell. when i saw the gba sp i thought it was a mini portable dvd player. i'm so stupid ha ha ha. lets all laugh!

Silent Assassin
Jan 29th, 2003, 04:06 PM
looks tight..when does it come out again???...does anyone know how much???

Vicious
Jan 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
This model looks awesome, but i probably wont get it since i already have a GBA.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 30th, 2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Vicious

This model looks awesome, but i probably wont get it since i already have a GBA.

I just did too and that's why It'll probably be awhile before I get, maybe after I've caught up on games I want to get after I've got a job to get money to do that.

Originally posted by Silent Assassin

looks tight..when does it come out again???...does anyone know how much???

This was addressed on the second page of this thread by Makg.