PDA

View Full Version : M$ bashing PS2

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM
Well, the post that our banned friend Fantasywave presented us (the one about PS2 online vs. Xbox) was not thought up by him.

It turns out it's actually from the official XBox web-site right here (http://www.xbox.com/live/xbox+live+vs+ps2.htm?det=1).

To say I'm extremely disappointed to see M$ do something like this would be an understatement. M$ are insulting the choices I have made as a gamer, and insulting my intelligence. This is just yet another example of the advertising practice M$ adopts.

The XBox appears to be a decent machine - but advertising like this does nothing other than to put me off giving M$ any of my money.

It saddens me to see this - I don't recall Nintendo ever bashing their competitors, or potential customers, like Microsoft have.

- S

Harry
Jan 5th, 2003, 09:26 PM
So true Spank-A-Thon!

I frankly enjoyed many games on the Xbox, but Microsoft's campaign is so idiotic that I really think they are influencing in a bad way the gaming industry.

They offend gamers in general, and it really seems they are unable to understand that they can't buy new fans bashing Sony and/or Nintendo - as a gamer, I consider their campaign a proof of their serious difficulties in finding their place in the industry.

Decifer
Jan 6th, 2003, 09:20 AM
thats really a piss off. i've never seen a gaming company do something so pointless and stupid.:mad:

dan da man
Jan 6th, 2003, 10:48 AM
yes i saw this on xbox.com the other day! it is war between xbox and ps2 IMO!

MakgSnake
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Damn, thats the cheapest and the lowest thing I have ever seen........ever! Does M$ really think that people would think they are acting "SMART" with this or "Dumb, Childish". But I have to say, Xbox Fanboys would love that quiz and they are probably telling everyone of their friends and having a couple of laughs. I hated M$.........from before, so this is not that big of a surprise.

Next thing we'll see is a TV advertisment of Xbox, bashing PS2 and GameCube visually, or verbally.

but Microsoft's campaign is so idiotic that I really think they are influencing in a bad way the gaming industry.
I totally agree with you, and I mean completely. Its really sad to see all this.

EDIT: By the way, I just mailed them by click on "Comments about this article".....and told everything I thought of it.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 6th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
EDIT: By the way, I just mailed them by click on "Comments about this article".....and told everything I thought of it. I also did this yesterday, and quelle suprisé I received the following:This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

[email protected] M$ isn't so keen on receiving comments from potential customers...

What I don't understand is why they would want to alienate a potential consumer-base of 30 million people (i.e. PS2 owners). Don't M$ understand that owning more that one gaming system is very common these days?

- S

Sword 4 Hire
Jan 6th, 2003, 03:36 PM
Y'know, lately I've been playing basically just my xbox with live...and I've even started defending it between my friends...but now I question what I'm defending...

Nelo Angelo
Jan 6th, 2003, 04:02 PM
Hehe.

I'm not really taking this quiz seriously since it doesn't really matter to me.

Then again, pride can be one's downfall.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 6th, 2003, 04:17 PM
I was thinking of getting an XBox for Shenmue II and Munch's Oddysee but now I don't know.

dan da man
Jan 6th, 2003, 05:38 PM
i used to hate xbox as well, but now i luv them!

btw guys, most of my friends have ps2 and they always slag xbox off! i think ps2 does slag xbox aswell, but that quiz was going over the top putting it on xbox.com!

for all the haters of each platform, this is what i have come across on the net and my firends!

gaystation
lamecube
xbrick

i dont call other consoles anymore i mean how childish!

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 6th, 2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

I was thinking of getting an XBox for Shenmue II and Munch's Oddysee but now I don't know. Well, perhaps I have a solution for your dilemma Trunks. Buy a second hand XBox, and buy only second hand games.

That way, M$ do not get any of your money, but you still get to enjoy the console and games. If there is ever enough games that interest me in XBox, it's what I intend to do.

If there's a way I can enjoy XBox without profiting M$, I will find a way. I have nothing against the console, but everything against the way M$ have marketed the damn thing.

- S

MakgSnake
Jan 6th, 2003, 11:40 PM
Well I am gonna wait for reply...I dont know what'll happen. By the way I am glad that I bought my Xbox (Open Boxed), and it was a 2 week old Open Box (Still Wrapped, Brand New and stuff) and it costed me $152 (Canadian Dollars) so its a good thing I didn't buy it at the normal price $299 (Canadian Dollars).

I guess I dont have anything against Xbox too, but its the marketing campaign that really ticks me off now. And M$ "THINKING" they'll be able to take the video game industry.

Few days back I was talking to an Xbox representative and all he was saying was "I want my games to be beautiful and powerful and colorful and graphical top notch and only Xbox has the ability to do that".......... and he kept saying that to everyone. I was just wondering how come he is not saying "Anything" about "Gameplay".....which happens to be the most important thing.

Chara
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Yeah, I saw this a while ago. Once Microsoft gets something that's superior than everything else, they take advantage of it... in a bad way... of course... if that makes any sense at all...

Anyway, as I was saying Xbox live is currently the best online solution out so Microsoft used this as a chance to bash the PS2. That is just a low blow, Microsoft. And this isnt the first time microsoft did this. They made a flash movie about a killer robot killing mario and other nintendo characters. It seemed like it was made by a bunch of 13 year olds.

I used to somewhat like microsoft but now they are losing my respect.

dan da man
Jan 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

That way, M$ do not get any of your money, but you still get to enjoy the console and games. If there is ever enough games that interest me in XBox, it's what I intend to do.

- S

that remark sounds like u dont like microsoft or xbox.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 7th, 2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dan da man

that remark sounds like u dont like microsoft or xbox. I don't like M$. I don't like their business ethics, i.e. how they become so large. Remember M$ claiming they couldn't remove IE from Windows because it was an integral part of the OS? Well, it isn't - do a search on Google for Win 98 Lite... It's a hacked version of Windows without any IE involved.

I hate the sound of Palladium, I hate having to use their OS at work all day, I hate the way their Licensing program is going...

You do realise that if XBox had the dominance of PS2, M$ would introduce Licensing for the XBox... I can feasibly see one day where you would have to pay a monthly fee to play your games... Ooop - my bad, it's already happened with XBox Live...

As a machine, I have nothing against XBox. As yet there are not enough games that appeal to me, but as soon as there are I would like to get one. But only if I can acquire said XBox without having to give my money to M$.

Microsoft are so large and powerful now, they're practically above the law. Anyone remember the days of the home computers? Remember Commodore 64's, Atari STs and Commodore Amigas? Where are their successors? Nowhere, because M$ has domintated the Computer market with their bad business practices.

And that's what they're trying to do with consoles and entertainment in general.

M$ want to control all forms of electronic media - be that games, audio, video, documents, whatever - why do you think they are heavily researching DRM (Digital Rights Management)?

I'm not a mindless 'anti-M$' bandwagonner - I have done my research, and I can back up my statements with facts.

Yes, I don't like M$ - but I have no problem with XBox as a console.

- S

XboxKiller
Jan 7th, 2003, 02:41 PM
damn I never thought this day would come espacially with m$. have you guys noticed that everthing that M$ does with the xbox it has to be competitve against sony or nintendo.:frust:

I mean damn they need to stop it seems that m$ is being run by a hole bunch of 20 year old's virgins who have nothing else to do but offend other gamers on the internet so the can feel good about them self's :phew:

sure ps2 fans sometimes make fun of other console. thats normal every body does that with any console its a mark of pride;)

and why does M$ always bag on the ps2 harder then anything out there. damn just cause they aint making any money on the xbox does not mean they have to go and do something stupid like that

YOU......YOU.........VIRGINS:mad:

dan da man
Jan 7th, 2003, 02:44 PM
ok spank, that was good i agree with u, but i like microsoft, thats why i have a computer with microsoft software and a xbox!
yea i think there power is making them greedy!

MakgSnake
Jan 7th, 2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by goodman

You got a hellacious deal there, Makg. You couldnt go wrong.
Yup, that was a pretty good deal and on TOP of that, I got my Xbox Controller S an Open item as well, the Controller normally goes for $39.99 (Canadian), I got it for $19.96 (Canadian)......and well I dont like M$ as well at all. I just think they or "Billy Boy" wants to take over our lives. You never know sometime soon, they'll release a camera where you can scan your own face images on games, and what we wouldn't know is that the Microsoft Hidden Network Centre is looking into our rooms with the help of that camera and creating electronic products according to our dislikes and likes, invasion of privacy.

Daedaelus
Jan 7th, 2003, 07:58 PM
damn I never thought this day would come espacially with m$. have you guys noticed that everthing that M$ does with the xbox it has to be competitve against sony or nintendo.

Competetion is the basis for achievement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending M$ for what they've done here. Secondly, if you say that everything M$ does is against Sony or Nintendo, then how could you not see this coming?

and why does M$ always bag on the ps2 harder then anything out there.

They compete with Sony because overall in the console wars, PS2 is still on top. Of course any good business man would take out the leader first and then go after the lesser-threat, which is what Bill Gates is doing.

YOU......YOU.........VIRGINS

What the hell does that hve to do with anything? Just because you've had sex means that you are more mentally stable? Please explain your logic to me.

P.S. Congratualtions on your purcahse, Makg. Great console.

dan da man
Jan 8th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Iguana

What the hell does that hve to do with anything? Just because you've had sex means that you are more mentally stable? Please explain your logic to me.

P.S. Congratualtions on your purcahse, Makg. Great console.

i know what the hell!:laugh: i think i know what he means like they never had any experince like a virgin!

XboxKiller
Jan 8th, 2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Iguana

Competetion is the basis for achievement. Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending M$ for what they've done here. Secondly, if you say that everything M$ does is against Sony or Nintendo, then how could you not see this coming?

They compete with Sony because overall in the console wars, PS2 is still on top. Of course any good business man would take out the leader first and then go after the lesser-threat, which is what Bill Gates is doing.

OK first of all I was trying to be funny dumb@$$. second of all whats your problem you on the rag or something. (by the way I'am sure you havent had sex. I can tell because you own a xbox)

P.S. Congratualtions on your purcahse, Makg. Great console. :laugh:

OK first of all I was trying to be funny dumb@$$. second of all whats your problem you on the rag or something. (by the way I'am sure you havent had sex. I can tell because you own a xbox)

and I can also tell because of the way you write

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR LOGIC TO ME

what the hell was that you sound like Mr. Burns to me
or maybe your working for "BILLYBOY" you moron

kupoartist
Jan 8th, 2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by dan da man
but i like microsoft, thats why i have a computer with microsoft software
I would guess that its virtually impossible to get a PC without Microsoft Software on it. Anyone here got a PC without a Microsoft Operating System on it? Exactly. Microsoft have completely dominated the market, and only Servers seem to run on Linux... theres simply no support for anything but Windows in the games markets or other software sectors (except a handful of first-person shooters and strategy games). Its very unlikely that you've ever tried anything else other than Microsoft either. Neither have I (except that time I sat in front of the school linux machine and flicked the mouse before running away scared :laugh: ), but how do we know we are genuinely happy with the software If we know no better. Because of the Microsoft Monopoly we'll never be offered the best.

But at the end of the day, I don't really have any problems with buying their software (I'm not getting an X-Box because I don't see a lot of games on it that aren't on or going to be on the PC - but the same can be said of the PS2 as well...), but I think the real hate for Microsoft is from the PC market... Dumbassed questionaires aren't winning them any fans, and those same PC cinics are always going to be the ones to point and laugh at Microsoft's idoicy.

Harry
Jan 8th, 2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by XboxKiller

:laugh:

and I can also tell because of the way you write

PLEASE EXPLAIN YOUR LOGIC TO ME

what the hell was that you sound like Mr. Burns to me
or maybe your working for "BILLYBOY" you moron

Everyone posting in this thread: this is my one and last advice. If I see another post like this I'll lock the whole thing. XboxKiller, just calm down, ok ;)

And Iguana, I know you're intelligent enough to not take XboxKiller's words too seriously!

Daedaelus
Jan 8th, 2003, 09:20 PM
It's cool Harry, I am in no mood to start a flame war. I just want to say that because I defend a system, that means I own it? I don't get it. I must be a moron or working for "BILLYBOY" :laugh:

XboxKiller
Jan 9th, 2003, 02:03 PM
ok I'll calm down. I was just messing around I mean am sure Iguana has had you know what before so I wont do that again.
thanks Harry for the warning and not kicking me out.:laugh:

ToxicUK
Jan 14th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Xbox.com is biased as it thinks its "superior consoile" has better htings to do on it than THE best selling games console on the polanet. When i took this test i was disgusted and appalled at Microsofts obvious lack of respect for other consoles and for people who own these consoles as well. I was insulted with a few of the questions and personally would like to get inside xbox.com and tear it apart leaving a message saying: "This website has been banned by the users of theg aming community for its lack of respect and its downright rudeness to games all over the world.":frust:

dan da man
Jan 14th, 2003, 05:21 PM
microsoft dont care, and just insult ppl and want very tihng of theres to be a sucess.
but at the same time i own a xbox. so i realy cant go mad at them, for me i have to get annoyed at them for being rude but i also luv them. im kinda stuck between them, but i wish they would stop this, they even encourage there fans who insult other consoles owners all the time!
like on xbox.com forums they swear like mad at other consoles and the mods and admins are not bothered!alongs as there console dosent get hurt.

mark0™
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:47 AM
So what?

That kinda advertising is common, are you gonna still by non bounty kitchen roll because you want to defend it after the leading competitor boasts it is better?

If these guys get off so much on dissing the PS2, let them, that just means less idiots own a PS2.

But the best solution is to have the best of both worlds, and try to get all good consoles. But thats not an easy option, so just buy whatever you feel is better and dont listen to childish diss polls like that one.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by mark0

So what?

That kinda advertising is common, are you gonna still by non bounty kitchen roll because you want to defend it after the leading competitor boasts it is better?

If these guys get off so much on dissing the PS2, let them, that just means less idiots own a PS2.

But the best solution is to have the best of both worlds, and try to get all good consoles. But thats not an easy option, so just buy whatever you feel is better and dont listen to childish diss polls like that one. There is 'competitive marketing' and then there is blatantly insulting owners of a rival product.

Do you see Honda calling Ford owners idiots? Do you see Honda insulting the choice a Ford owner made? Do Bounty say people who use non-bounty products are stupid? No. They simply say 'our product is better than the others'.

Microsoft are not using 'competitive' marketing - hell, they could claim the XBox is 100 times more powerful, that's not going to phase me. But insulting my intelligence, calling me stupid for making the choices I have made - well that something completely different.

That's not 'competitive' marketing - that's a complete and utter lack of respect for potential customers. I have never seen a company ever disrespect rival product owners like M$ have.

- S

mark0™
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:36 AM
Let them say what they want then, If you think they need to resort to name calling to win then just wait and see what the results are. Obviously that "quiz" was meant for Xbox enthuisiasts, and to me, those people are idiots, So let them have they're fun with bashing SONY, and don't take it too serious.

It is insulting, I don't like it, but I see it as Microsoft are just making there product seem less attractive to non-Xbox owning PS2 fans.

Maybe Bounty was a bad comparison, but those ad's just show that they are better, and although the Xbox quiz was Insultive, they were showing off they're console against its main competitor. And it did make me think Live was better than the PS2 online actually.

Seraph Sephiroth
Jan 15th, 2003, 06:58 AM
I chose B for most of those questions.. *sniff* am I stupid now? ... according to XBox's website I am... I guess I'll throw my beloved PS2 away and go buy an Xbox, so I can be smart like the people on that site... ^_^

but seriously... that's completly biast.. saying that people who dont buy Xbox and play other consoles are stupid... Sure Xbox has one game on it I like.. and that's Halo.. but that's it... I'm not going to buy a whole 300$ system just for one game... that doesnt make me stupid, that just means I care about what I play and how much I pay for it.

Vicious
Jan 15th, 2003, 11:44 AM
Seems like Mr. Gates is getting down and dirty because he cant dominate the gaming industry like he does the computer industry.

ssjtrunks13
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:03 PM
I agree with Seraph, why make a general statement that says people who have system other than XBox without one are stupid. It's not true some people actually care about waht they play, it sounds like the people at MS don't really care about the quality of games. They just care what system it's for.

KraftSLU
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:19 PM
Now I am by no means condoning what microsoft put up, but I can kinda understand why they would do that. No, sony hasn't run any smear campaigns against xbox. Why? Because the fans do it for them... I cannot even begin to tell you how many ridiculously fanboying and slandering sites against the xbox I have run across... Here is just a few:

http://www.angelfire.com/vt2/focusfate/
http://www.geocities.com/alien0901/why_the_x-box_sucks.html
http://e_diddy0.tripod.com/xboxsucks/

Those are just a few. It isn't just the xbox community smearing everyone else. Xbox has been under harsh criticism since it was announced. When I bought my Xbox over a year ago I was ridiculed by some. (well, at least until I got them to play it;) ) It has been and will be a hard road for MS to stay in the race and for those of us who own the xbox to support it.

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 15th, 2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU

Now I am by no means condoning what microsoft put up, but I can kinda understand why they would do that. No, sony hasn't run any smear campaigns against xbox. Why? Because the fans do it for them... I cannot even begin to tell you how many ridiculously fanboying and slandering sites against the xbox I have run across... Here is just a few:<snip>I note you state SONY have never ran a smear campaign like M$. I also note that you state PS2 fans do the smearing.

This is true...

but...

it's true of any console. I can remember the 8-bit home computer wars. In the UK it was mainly the Commodore 64 vs. Sinclair Spectrum. Owners of each would always trash-tallk the other machine. You know what? The same happened with the NES and the SEGA Master System....

Guess what? Same also happened with the Commodore Amiga and the Atari ST. Ditto for SNES/Genesis and ditto for PSX/Saturn (or N64 if you prefer).

My point: there will always be console flaming between owners - it's unavoidable because people have an intrinsic desire to defend that which they hold dear (be that consoles, sports teams, cars, running shoes, whatever...).

I can tolerate owners of console X flaming me if I own console Y. What I don't like is how the makers of console X are flaming not only console Y, but those who own console Y.

I don't ever recall Atari, Commodore, SEGA, SONY or Nintendo flaming other console/computer owners. It's simply typical of M$ and their sheer arrogance that they should become the first.

What M$ have done cannot be justified.

Edit: Kraft, by the way - I'm not suggesting you were condoning or justifying M$'s actions.

- S

dan da man
Jan 15th, 2003, 01:00 PM
yes spank there will always be console flaming, but i dont think it was nessacary putting it on xbox.com! the main official website!

ssjtrunks13
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Really, it just makes you look bad.

dan da man
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by ssjtrunks13

Really, it just makes you look bad.

who?

ssjtrunks13
Jan 15th, 2003, 03:53 PM
The company that did it. Especially Bill Gates. But that's just what I think.

mark0™
Jan 23rd, 2003, 09:27 AM
Argh why does everyone say "Gates is trying to slam Sony", I don't think very much that Bill Gates creates eveything Microsoft related by himself!

But thats just my daily complaint, so anyways...

Theres a famous Football Rivalry in scotland known as the Old Firm, which is Glasgow Celtic (yey) Vs. Glasgow Rangers (boo), now these teams are always at the top of the league, they dominate every other team, but the teams themselves will never say anything bad about the other, in fact most of the players are friends, but it's the fans. The fans are always fighting, If your a celtic fan and you run into a a group of rangers supporters and they know who you are, you can expect, at the least, heavy iunsults, just because of your team. It goes into a whole lot of Religous reasons and a lot of other crap but I can't be bothered trying to explain.

But what I'm saying is that there is a lot of bad blood between Rangers and Celtic, and it's all the fans doings (the clubs will ban you from games if you show bad reactions to the other supporters).

It reminds me of all this, but Xbox is not acting like the clubs. If Xbox were dissing Sony on wide spread advertising constantly, It would annoy me, but that one site, I don't really care, Infact I think Live is better than the PS2's online service (Even though I cant get LIVE coz the crappy phone companies wont run Broadband in my street :mad: )

But if you were a mega company, you'd want to flex your muscles of a little bit, so I can't blame them.

Vicious_2003
Jan 23rd, 2003, 10:06 AM
I dont know if this was a revived thread or waeather it just exploded but Id like to say a little something. Lets face it X Box has a point. Every flaw they pointed out as far as Sonys online strategy goes was very much valid. Sure they maybe shouldnt be posting about thier competitors flaws so much but oh well...they just said what alot of people think. And the ONLY reason your so upset with it is because your a big Play Station fan. Big friggin deal..if playstation doesent want to get dogged on then maybe they shouldnt be so flawed . If Sony were to put somethin on thier sight about the X Box's flaws (If they could find enough) I wouldnt mind at all and im an X Box fan as well as a play station fan. I mean...as long as it was all true. So in conclusion...no they prolly shouldnt have said those things and yes they are all very TRUE (Its like dirty polotics nowadays, geeze Mr. Gates why the hatred)