PDA

View Full Version : Proof the graphics don't make the game

KraftSLU
Dec 26th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Well, I am usually one that has an eye out for the bigger, better looking game, but I was put in my place this weekend. Sega sports released their game NHL 2k3 for the xbox, and at first glance it looks like complete crap. Terrible graphics, bad voice overs. Most people wrote it off as a bad game. Luckily though, a few people, myself included, actually sat down and put some play time into this and came to find that this is, in fact, one of the best hockey sims we've ever played.

Does anyone else know of some sleeper hits that may have gotten some bad reviews but are awesome games none-the-less?

Spank-A-Thon
Dec 26th, 2002, 09:32 PM
I can't think of anything of the top of my head, but you have basically re-inforced what I have been saying for years...

Graphics don't mean jack.

Take Final Fantasy VI as an example. In today's terms they represent atrocious graphics - but the gameplay man, the gameplay is where it's at...

If there is one thing I can't abide it's Graphic Whores. Unless a game has the utmost level of detail they don't want to know...

This generation of gamers don't appreciate pure gameplay. My first games machine was a Commodore VIC-20. 3.5K of RAM and 8 colours maximum. From there I went to a Sinclair Spectrum (48K RAM and 2 colours per 8 pixel block). I could name a few others between that and my current setup but I can't be arsed.

Graphics should not dictate the games you play - the gameplay should.

Just because you put a cat in the oven, that doesn't make it a biscuit.... In other words, if a game is shite, it doesn't matter how great the graphics are - it's still shite, albeit nicely rendered shite...

Rant over now... lol.

- S

Daedaelus
Dec 26th, 2002, 10:35 PM
I remember one. I bought X:Men: Children of the Atom back when Playstation was the widely played system. IGN-PSX gave it a 2.6 (I think). They said that the graphics were awful, the AI was terrible, and all-in-all, it was an awful game that did not even deserve a rental fee.

I bought it a few weeks after it came out, when the price went down from $49.99 to $17.99. I thought that it was one of the best games I've ever played, and I had a lot of fun with it.

That's all I can think of right now. I will try to think of another later. :p

Frozen
Dec 27th, 2002, 12:58 AM
All that has been said is true, but then some people go to the extreme of ignoring all the efforts which have been put in a game with badass graphics.

Me, I am a picky bitch, and GRAPHICS MATTER A LOT for me, but of course, it's NOT the only thing I look on a game, but one of the main things I look at, they are as important as the gameplay, music and storyline.

A good game is strong in all of those aspects: a game with weak graphics really does not catch my interest, but then, I play certain game with awsome graphics, but plays like ass, it will be discarded as well.

Zone
Dec 27th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Does anyone else know of some sleeper hits that may have gotten some bad reviews but are awesome games none-the-less?

Some may not agree with me on this, but I think DBZ Budokai is better than most reviewers rate it. True, it's not the deepest fighting game, but it's one of the most innovative and fun.

kupoartist
Dec 28th, 2002, 06:33 AM
well, my favorite game of all time is probably FFVI, and the graphics aren't anything amazing... but there is a certain level where bad graphics = bad presentation. I've never managed more than 5 minutes on FF1-3, because the look of NES games makes me ill (the sound doesn't help either), but for more recent examples, bad presentation means the difference between a classic and a "good game". After all, theres always going to be a game that'll have good graphics and everything else if your game doesn't.

AudioBoxer
Dec 28th, 2002, 11:53 AM
ummm.. I dont know really, I always have loved Midnight Club, they graphics are not to good but the game is just plain out fun!

Zone
Dec 30th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Having great gameplay is what's important. Good graphics are just a plus.

Sword 4 Hire
Dec 30th, 2002, 08:27 PM
If the game was made awhile ago and was not meant for the new age systems we're playing today like older FF's etc. then the graphics don't bother me in the least. In fact I like little sprites in my rpg's. But if it was made recently with all the technological advancements we share today, and yet the graphics are still horrible than I probably won't touch it, but I stand to be corrected...

MakgSnake
Dec 30th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Ok it may not be a new game, but the "Alone In The Dark 1" On PC. If you play it today, you will love it. Its just an amazing game.

Even Driver, the graphics are dated, still I love putting that game on my console and I play it for hours.

As for recent sleeper hits....Hmmm........I cant think of the recent games. But Syphon Filter was average when it came to Graphics but Man the game play was amazing!!