PDA

View Full Version : Better Graphics: MGS2 or FFX?

Mercury Shadow
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:21 PM
These 2 games are probably the most popular titles for the PS2 (next to GTA3). I've seen both of them in action, and think they're both spectular in everyway! The only thing that I can't decide on, is which has better graphics?

Pu the Owl
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:35 PM
If forced to choose I'd say MGS2. But the fact those games are very different explains why I voted for "equal".

IMO is impossible to make a long RPG as FFX with the same graphics of MGS2. Being MGS2 shorter, the environments and also the characters during the game are a lot better.
Adding to that the fact MGS2 doesn't use FMVs.

But I think FFX graphics are cool for the typology of the game. So I can't say which one is better.
Both reviews on Ps2Fantasy main site got the same score for graphics aspect and I kinda agree with that.

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 17th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Ok hands down mgs2.Why i say this is that mgs2 uses all in game cutscences and no real big fmv like ffx.The games character models in mgs2 are so much better too

DragonSphere
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:12 PM
I beg to differ. Though MGS2 does have very good graphics, to the point where the need for FMVs is useless, it is still kind of dark and gloomy, therefore, IMO, not as good as FFX. But don't get me wrong, MGS2 still has the best damn graphics I've ever seen in its genre.

My reason for this is that FFX's graphics make you feel like the characters are actually in a living and breathing world. The colors are both vibrant and bright, making it really stand out from that of MGS2.

kamari-ice
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:24 PM
ffx.

Pu the Owl
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:40 PM
But let me add in FFX there's not much interaction between characters and setting, like in a pre-rendered scenario, while in MGS2 the setting is a very important aspect of the game.

IcyMourdor
Feb 17th, 2002, 05:57 PM
MGS2 has the best graphics. RPGs are my favorite, but when it comes to graphics, MGS2 definitly wins.

talon101
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:50 PM
what is mgs2 anyway its not in australia

Pu the Owl
Feb 17th, 2002, 06:54 PM
MGS2 = Metal Gear Solid 2
Maybe you know Metal Gear Solid for PSX...
This game is the sequel of Metal Gear Solid.

Sleazy P Martini
Feb 17th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Well I find both games have exceptional graphics. But In MGS2 on the big shell, I found the railings on walkways "moving". Its hard to explain. Does anyone know what I mean?

jenova_jeb
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:09 PM
Ummm, everyone, Metal Gear Solid 2 has FMVs all through it. Are you guys talking about CGs perhaps :confused: ?

Anyway, I think MGS2 has the best graphics, but FFX is the better game over all :D .

BowevelJoe
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:56 PM
hmm...id say MGS2....yeah..MGS2 gets muh vote..

LiquidSm0ke
Feb 17th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by DragonSphere
I beg to differ. Though MGS2 does have very good graphics, to the point where the need for FMVs is useless, it is still kind of dark and gloomy, therefore, IMO, not as good as FFX.

FFX = Pre-rendered.

Don't get me wrong, I still like FFX over MGS2

jenova_jeb
Feb 17th, 2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by LiquidSm0ke

FFX = Pre-rendered.

No, Final Fantasy X was not pre-rendered. VII, VIII, and IX were, but X was all real-time.

Soul Angel
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:17 PM
I'm going to say the graphics are equal because they both have great graphics and it is quite hard to tell which are better.

But I prefer FFX alittle more because the graphics are more colourful and and the FMV are really good, plus I think its going to be a better game then MGS2 IMO that is.

Vamp
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:38 PM
ok both games may be different, and yes FFX is much longer then MGS2. but the poll asks to say which has better graphics

and well the answer is MGS2

the end

MADRUCKIS
Feb 18th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Hmpff:
Well I'm someone who's played both thoroughly. And I agree that both are different games!

FFX-Mind blowing. The graphics on the movies are incredible. The in game graphics are detailed and sharp, amazing

MGS2- The graphics gave the game a more cinematic feel to it. Like your watchin a movie. The detials made the game!

FFX had a lot of fantasy aspects soit's hard to take it any other way. Metal Gear dealt with the present time and stuff and let me just tell you, I was walkin' around downtown and I saw the building that the last battle was fought on. The one with the Washingtoin building on it.......
I was like

:eek:

BLEW MY MIND

Just wanted to share that with yall

LiquidSm0ke
Feb 18th, 2002, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by jenova_jeb

No, Final Fantasy X was not pre-rendered. VII, VIII, and IX were, but X was all real-time.

FFX is pre-rendered, Square just didn't tell the public and the press.

Rei
Feb 18th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Yes, FFX is prerendered in some parts, even if environments are 3D. And in MGS2 there are not FMVs, apart from the real-life movies towards the ending of the game. It's the game engine which creates all the stuff you consider to be FMVs.
While in FFX, there are also FMVs, like the ones of Yuna dancing on water and so on. They're not created in real time by the game engine.
That's a great difference.

Agree with those who said the games are very different, and also the purposes are no t the same, but still MGS2 gets my vote.

I noticed a lot of amazing details in that game, like lights effects on floors and also outside. And the atmosphere given by graphics is perfect for a game nowadays.
Also, characters movements are very smooth, while this is not true for FFX. They look a lot more like puppets.
Oh I know having the same things in a longer game like FFX costs a lot of money, but if I have to make a comparison MGS2 is the best.

jenova_jeb
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Rei
Yes, FFX is prerendered in some parts, even if environments are 3D. And in MGS2 there are not FMVs, apart from the real-life movies towards the ending of the game. It's the game engine which creates all the stuff you consider to be FMVs.
While in FFX, there are also FMVs, like the ones of Yuna dancing on water and so on. They're not created in real time by the game engine.
That's a great difference.

Well, I've read tons of FFX reviews, and they all said it was not pre-rendered. I may be wrong on that, but if I am, blame all of the game magazines and web-sites.

When Yuna walked onto the water that was not an FMV. It was a CG

CG= Computer Graphics
FMV= Full Motion Video

FMVs were all over in MGS2 and FFX. The games were filthy with'em.

Rei
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:50 PM
Your mistake is thinking that MGS2 CGs are FMVs. They're not FMVs, they're created in real time by the game engine.

jenova_jeb
Feb 18th, 2002, 09:56 PM
MGS2 DOES HAVE FMVS. So did MGS. You're getting CGs and FMVs mixed up. FMVs are done with REGULAR graphics. CGs are the really good looking ones like the ending of FFX, which are done with COMPUTER GRAPHICS.

Pu the Owl
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:30 PM
I think you're misunderstanding the fact that MGS2 creates instantly all the stuff you call movies thanks to the powerful graphic engine, while you can't say the same thing for FFX...
And yes, FFX is partly pre-rendered and partly not.

Reid
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:40 PM
I think the graphics in both of these games are amazing, but MGS2 was better on a whole, in my opinion.

The environments just seemed much more real, and they were also very interactive.

jenova_jeb
Feb 19th, 2002, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by Fortune
I think you're misunderstanding the fact that MGS2 creates instantly all the stuff you call movies thanks to the powerful graphic engine, while you can't say the same thing for FFX...
And yes, FFX is partly pre-rendered and partly not.

I UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING!!! GAGGHH! I READ IT IN OPM AND EGM AND THEY BOTH SAID WHAT I'M SAYING! Look at my Avatar. THAT is a CG, NOT an FMV. FMV are done with REGULAR in game graphics, just like in MGS2! I give up.....

Harry
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:09 AM

I UNDERSTAND WHAT I'M SAYING!!! GAGGHH! I READ IT IN OPM AND EGM AND THEY BOTH SAID WHAT I'M SAYING! Look at my Avatar. THAT is a CG, NOT an FMV. FMV are done with REGULAR in game graphics, just like in MGS2! I give up.....

Jenova Jeb, I'm sorry but you are wrong. And if you really read this on EGM it's not your fault - anyhow, I really doubt that serious journalist could have made such an error.

Anyhow, FMVs are Full Motion Videos.

This is the definition from the Dictionary of Computer Developer:
"Video that runs at the same rate at which it was filmed.Moving video images and sound available on a computer; usually stored on CD-ROM because of the large size of the files."

Another old definition from another dictionary:
"Video system that can display continuous motion. Some slow-speed CD-ROM drives and low-bandwidth networks are unable to handle the mass of data required for full-motion video, so video playback tends to jerk unevenly."

This is the definition from the GameDev (Game Developer) dictionary:
"Full Motion Video. Video streams such as AVIs and MPEGs are examples of FMV. Games that used FMV extensively, both real actors and computer created, were often classified as FMV games."

To make some example: all the movies in Final Fantasy games on PSX, many on the new Final Fantasy X are FMVs. FMVs can be videos taken from real life or generated by CG. In general, FMVs are all those video streams able to show continuous motion.

In Metal Gear Solid 2 there are just a few FMVs:
- the introductory scene with Snake walking on the bridge
- the videos of New York and others taken from real life

BTW, my preference goes to MGS2. It's just impressive the realism put into the movements of the characters, the possibility to interact with the environments, the dynamic light sources, the astounding water and weather effects. This is definitely the most revolutionary graphic engine of the last year.

Harry
Feb 19th, 2002, 09:21 AM

And this is not true too. Unfortunately, many reviewers were not good enough to look closely at the game and ask information to the developers. Final Fantasy X usually uses real-time generated environments, but sometimes, when there is no need to have camera movements the developers decided to use prerendered backgrounds (for example into Wakka's house).

The narrative parts (dialogues for example) are usually rendered in real-time, but for the spectacular scenes there are the classic Final Fantasy's CG movies.

007_JamesBond
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:34 PM
They both got good graphics, but I think that MGS2 will be the victor

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by Harry

And this is not true too. Unfortunately, many reviewers were not good enough to look closely at the game and ask information to the developers. Final Fantasy X usually uses real-time generated environments, but sometimes, when there is no need to have camera movements the developers decided to use prerendered backgrounds (for example into Wakka's house).

The narrative parts (dialogues for example) are usually rendered in real-time, but for the spectacular scenes there are the classic Final Fantasy's CG movies.

Yeah i noticed that too.Wakka's house is pre-rendered