PDA

View Full Version : How important are plots in games?

jenova_jeb
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:50 PM
Truthfully, I can't stand playing games without a good story unless it's got AWESOME gameplay. Though the gameplay is a lot of fun in games like Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid, I don't think I would be nearly as attracted to these games without their kick-butt plots.

Pu the Owl
Feb 16th, 2002, 07:57 PM
Completely agree with you: I enjoy playing games with an amazing gameplay, but if the plot is bad or weak I get tired of them very soon.
I think plot is what you remember the most of games you have played.

IcyMourdor
Feb 16th, 2002, 08:30 PM
I play mainly RPGs and if it doesn't have a good plot, I'm never playing the cursed game again. The plot is one of the main factors in a game and if it isn't good, it isn't a game.

DragonSphere
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:00 PM
Of course plot is very important in a game, how do you think the FF series survived throughout all these years? A good story is really the main foundation of a game, if it's weak, the foundation will crumble. But if it's strong, the game will stand tall and be remembered by many.

Spirit
Feb 16th, 2002, 11:06 PM
very important as an rpg/game without a good plot is a complete floke, and it will bore the player within and hour.

Mercury Shadow
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:11 AM
A plot is important in any game where you take the roll of another character because otherwise it's just go out there and beat people up... fun, but once there is a meaning behind everything it makes it seem more like reality.

BowevelJoe
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:17 AM
hahaha so true...a bad plotted RPG is....well...good god that would be bad..

Soul Angel
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:36 AM
I have to say a plot is very important when I'm playing a game.
If the game doesn't have a good plot in it, I'll probably won't play the game.

007_JamesBond
Feb 17th, 2002, 11:43 AM
I also have to play games that have a good plot or else there is no point in really playing it.

Cannibal Clown
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:36 PM
You guys have to choose your words more carefully.

In any RPG the plot is the most important thing in the game. But sports games like Footbal or baseball games don't need one at all. But it does make them more interesting that way. And racing games can be very fun without plots. In games like these, I like it when there is a plot though.

But one of the other apsects of a game that I feel are very nessesary are the options for multiple endings. It makes you want to play the game again and agian until you get all of the secret stuff and special endings.

But I can't say that I didn't enjoy playing Crash Banicoot on the PS1, and even Medievil. They didn't have much plao at all, but they were still fun.

Pu the Owl
Feb 17th, 2002, 03:56 PM
What CC said is true, but everyone's has a fave genre, or more than only one fave genre. Personally, I don't like Sports games very much because I get tired of them after few hours. The lack of a plot, and also the gtype of gameplay is the cause of it.
While I think I can play and enjoy a game with very bad graphics, for example, or a not perfect gameplay, if it has a good plot.
Every aspect in certain games is important, but in some genres plot is 60%-70% of the game to attract the player.

jenova_jeb
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Fortune
What CC said is true, but everyone's has a fave genre, or more than only one fave genre. Personally, I don't like Sports games very much because I get tired of them after few hours. The lack of a plot, and also the gtype of gameplay is the cause of it.
While I think I can play and enjoy a game with very bad graphics, for example, or a not perfect gameplay, if it has a good plot.
Every aspect in certain games is important, but in some genres plot is 60%-70% of the game to attract the player.

I couldn't have said it better :D .

talon101
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:32 PM
B.G dark aliance

has very bad plot i finished it in a fue days and got bord of it
BG IS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY!

Reid
Feb 18th, 2002, 10:05 PM
I think plot is a big part of a good game, but some games can defy that rule.

For example, one of my favourite game series, Mario, has very little plot but it's so much fun!

Also, I rented Devil May Cry and played through it with my step-brother three times, because of it's awesome gameplay, but it had a terrible plot!

I think a plot can be very important, but if a game makes it fairly clear that it wants to entertain the gamer with it's gameplay over it's plot than that's alright too, even though those type of games aren't quite as memorable story-wise.

007_JamesBond
Feb 19th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Cannibal Clown you must stop being so technical

x157anz
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:24 PM
Well if a game has a crap story to it i will get bores with it in a day.But all the games nower days have great storys. For example FFX, SH2 :)

trunks69420
Feb 20th, 2002, 01:28 PM
Plots are very important. There are a few games that dont really matter as much(ie: Tekken) But all in all, a story is the heart of the game. What would MGS2 be w/out a great story? Same W/ any of the FF's! Story is a key element in a great game!!!

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 21st, 2002, 10:07 PM
Plot keeps you interested in the game you need a story and some interesting characters to keep someone invovled and playing.Like Resident Evil 2 or Mgs its those types of games that keep gamers interested

GaseousSnake
Feb 22nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
Good Game=Good Gameplot.
Eg,MGS2=Wonderfull Gameplot
:) :D ;)