PDA

View Full Version : New to Anime

Redpyramidhead
Nov 26th, 2002, 12:24 AM
Ok, ok...so I know absolutely nothing about anime. I mean I've never really watched it before accept a couple of times, but I know its something I dig. Now, after confessing all this, would someone please suggest some essential animes that I need to watch in order to introduce me to this seemingly huge world of stuff that I've been missing all this time? Thanks for the help. :cool:

_RED_ stuff

merylsilverburg
Nov 26th, 2002, 01:35 AM
Hey it's okay to be new to anime, no need to feel embarrassed or ashamed. :)
Well, the ones I would suggest would probably be what everyone would suggest:

Cowboy Bebop: Great deep story, great characters, wonderful music, has action and drama and a bit of humor. A must see. May seem like a "space" anime, but it's not.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: A mecha anime, but it's extremely dramatic and very emotional, but it's still a great, great series.

Trigun: Comedic at first, but slowly becomes a dramatic and a slight psychological series. The action is superb, the characters are unique and well-liked. Great series.

Hellsing: Horror/goth-like series involving vampires and bad-ass characters. The story can be a bit confusing and rushed at times, but still....the action is so great and the characters are so unique, that this anime cannot be missed.

Some right now would recommend: X the TV series, Tenchuu no Escaflowne (Escaflowne), or Fushigi no Nadia (Nadia: Secret of Blue Waters), and more I'm unaware about, but since I've seen very little of these, I'll let whoever seen these talk more about it. :heh:

Frozen
Nov 26th, 2002, 02:19 AM
A very simple advise, always listen to what Meryl tells you. She knows her thing :cool: I'm not going to repeat what she suggested.

As for movies I recommend you Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Street fighter II. And maybe the Fatal Fury OAV's, if you like fighting games and martial arts. Also watch out for Record of Lodoss war, be it either the OAV's, or the TV series. If you like stuff like LOTR, trust me, you'll like this :D

And last but not least, I highly recommend you all of the 6 Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OAV's (but of course, much better if you can watch the series first and then the movies to undersatnd everything muxch better, nonetheless, I've watched them all without having watched the series and I think they're outstanding.)

since you said "essential" I'll mention what I think you should not miss:

-Akira
-Rurouni Kenshin OAV's (the first 4, which show the origin of Kenshin, the other 2 are actually the whole end of the series)
-Record of Lodoss War
-Vampie Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: bloodlust (the first one is a classic anime, pretty old, but it's awsome, and the animation is pretty good having in mind the epoch, now, Bloodlust, is a recent movie, which, in my opinion, has some of the best quality any anime can give you. Quality in mainly art and action, which are unarguably good, although the plot can differ quite a lot from one person to the otehr, although IMO is awsome)

Hylas
Nov 26th, 2002, 09:51 AM
I'd add Serial Experiments Lain to the list too. It's really different from the other series mentioned, but interesting to watch.

And yeah, these suggestions are just a beginning :D

merylsilverburg
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Frozen

A very simple advise, always listen to what Meryl tells you. She knows her thing :cool: I'm not going to repeat what she suggested.

*feels embarrassed* Thanks for the compliment. :)

As for movies I recommend you Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, Street fighter II. And maybe the Fatal Fury OAV's, if you like fighting games and martial arts. Also watch out for Record of Lodoss war, be it either the OAV's, or the TV series. If you like stuff like LOTR, trust me, you'll like this :D

And last but not least, I highly recommend you all of the 6 Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) OAV's (but of course, much better if you can watch the series first and then the movies to undersatnd everything muxch better, nonetheless, I've watched them all without having watched the series and I think they're outstanding.)

since you said "essential" I'll mention what I think you should not miss:

-Akira
-Rurouni Kenshin OAV's (the first 4, which show the origin of Kenshin, the other 2 are actually the whole end of the series)
-Record of Lodoss War
-Vampie Hunter D and Vampire Hunter D: bloodlust (the first one is a classic anime, pretty old, but it's awsome, and the animation is pretty good having in mind the epoch, now, Bloodlust, is a recent movie, which, in my opinion, has some of the best quality any anime can give you. Quality in mainly art and action, which are unarguably good, although the plot can differ quite a lot from one person to the otehr, although IMO is awsome)

Great, great picks Frozen-sama, I forgot about those actually. :P Yes, Rurouni Kenshin is a definite must-see....one of my favs. actually. But, the other 2 OVAs of Kenshin should be something to see after you see the TV Series. And these two OVAs aren't released in the US and I'm not sure when or if they will be.

Hylas: I actually never seen Serial Experiments Lain, gotta do so sometime. But, I also heard it's a great series and very unique and kinda odd. :)

Mercury Shadow
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

Cowboy Bebop: Great deep story, great characters, wonderful music, has action and drama and a bit of humor. A must see. May seem like a "space" anime, but it's not.

I agree, good anime for beginners like myself. It's on cartoon network on Saturdays at 12am easten standard time.

Vic Viper
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Mercury Shadow

I agree, good anime for beginners like myself. It's on cartoon network on Saturdays at 12am easten standard time.

yup, check out CN adult swim line up..starts 11pm pacific time..

Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha
gundam
Outlaw Stars

merylsilverburg
Nov 26th, 2002, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by king_freak

yup, check out CN adult swim line up..starts 11pm pacific time..

Cowboy Bebop
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha
gundam
Outlaw Stars

Thank you Merc and king for the info. I've been trying to find Inu Yasha for some time now and I didn't know it was on Saturdays. :P *smacks herself*

EDIT: Oh and these animes are pretty good to start off with if you're new to anime because it has different genres, characters, action, and settings which you can see and figure which you like. :)

Redpyramidhead
Nov 28th, 2002, 02:41 AM
Thanks a lot guys!:cool: You've been more than helpful. I have more than enough anime to keep me busy for quite a while with that list. I will be visiting this forum more and more often from now on to talk about anime. :cool:

_RED_ stuff

Frozen
Nov 28th, 2002, 04:01 AM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg

*feels embarrassed* Thanks for the compliment. :)

Heh, more than a compliment, is the simple truth ^_^

Great, great picks Frozen-sama, I forgot about those actually. :P Yes, Rurouni Kenshin is a definite must-see....one of my favs. actually. But, the other 2 OVAs of Kenshin should be something to see after you see the TV Series. And these two OVAs aren't released in the US and I'm not sure when or if they will be.

Hylas: I actually never seen Serial Experiments Lain, gotta do so sometime. But, I also heard it's a great series and very unique and kinda odd. :)

And Meryl is absolutely right, better not to watch the 2 last Kenshin OAV's if you have not watched the series. The little problem is, that he seris is real long and hard to find a channel to watch it, so it's gonna be a hell of money to buy it all, or even rent it. That's why I decided to watch teh Seisouhen OAV's anywas.

Oh, also I have heard about Lain, Hylas, is it true is some sort of Evanglion kinda series? (in respect to the psychological thign and stuff, of course not talking about the action)

Redpyramyd, I hoep your enjoying your anime. Please tell us what you are watcing and your opinions about it :D

mark0™
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:09 AM
Ive been wanting to watch anime for a while now, but couldn't find anything except DBZ n that on Cartoon Network (im in the UK), then I Discovered CNX, never new i had this channel and watched Spawn, Cowboy Bebop then Outlaw Star, I really enjoyed them and I think I'll watch them agaion tonight :)

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 21st, 2002, 04:31 PM
I'm not sure if anyone has said these yet but:

Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Akira

Those were the first three anime's I saw, and really made my love for anime skyrocket.

I would watch those, and/or Adult Swim and go from there.

The Gundam that's on right now is cool, but it's not the best. So if you don't like it, don't let it make you not want to watch more Gundam!!! The one on right now is...Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket. I like it a lot, but some people don't.

And yes, you'll come to find that meryl is, in the words of the great and wise Fox, a 1337 @n1m3 m@st@r!!!11!11!!1

When she posted her collection on that "other" board, it was like...mega-beast.

mark0™
Dec 21st, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by Suzuki_Fanboy

I'm not sure if anyone has said these yet but:

Ninja Scroll
Ghost in the Shell
Akira

Those were the first three anime's I saw, and really made my love for anime skyrocket.

Funny you should post them lol, im trying to further my newly established anime interest by buying some anime movies, whilst lookin on Amazon.co.uk, i saw i could get Ghost in the sheel with eithe Ninja Scroll, or Akira for a discounted price... which one is your fave out of Ninja Scroll and Akira? I'm considering buying this deal...

J Prime
Dec 22nd, 2002, 12:15 AM
macross plus
perfect bleu
Metropolis
Princess mononoke
Spirited away
Lain
Wicked City

are also good ones,

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:26 PM
Mark0:

Get Ghost in the Shell + Akira...or at least that's what I would do.

Ninja Scroll would be a good choice if you like ninja-style anime stuff, or want to see it. Ghost in the shell + Akira would be the ultimate sci-fi anime duo...both are set in the future, etc, etc.

mark0™
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Thanks suzuki! I really like the spacey sci fi animes, Ninja ones dont really appeal to me, but just wondering which one out of Akira and Ninja Scroll do you guys feel is better?

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:46 PM
Dude...if you like that sci-fi stuff, you HAVE to get Ghost in the Shell.

Akira is good, too. It's about this teenage bike gang (Kaneda's bike is awesome...) who are basically just punks. It's set in Neo-Tokyo, some-odd years after WWIII. I won't tell you anymore, but that's just the basics you might wanna know.

mark0™
Dec 22nd, 2002, 02:48 PM
Thanks a lot man! Ill buy them soon after Christmas, if anyones wondering, im getting them from http://www.amazon.co.uk