PDA

View Full Version : i wonder , do u?

Zelgadis
Feb 12th, 2002, 10:37 PM
why did square named final fantasy , final fantasy?:confused:

DragonSphere
Feb 13th, 2002, 12:18 AM
Well, my sister (who previously worked on the FF movie) told me that there was a little story about it. During the late 1980's or something, Square was at a financial crisis. So when making a new RPG for Nintendo, they thought this game would be their last. Thus came "Final Fantasy".

And surprisingly, it sold really well and has become what it is today. :)

Zelgadis
Feb 13th, 2002, 02:37 PM
ooo i just read some magazine about it 2 hmm whoa ur sis worked on ff movie deam cool say hi 2 ur sis 4me :)

kamari-ice
Feb 13th, 2002, 03:08 PM
I heard about the crisis.Just think, it hurt them a little, but then they gained much.

IcyMourdor
Feb 13th, 2002, 05:40 PM
I've played the first FF. No wonder people started to like Square again. This was a great game for that time.

Mana
Feb 13th, 2002, 06:23 PM
That's completely new for me!
I've always wondered why they picked this name for the series!
Thanks for sharing this little detail! :)

jenova_jeb
Feb 13th, 2002, 09:11 PM
I knew that they were in a financial crisis, but had no idea that's why they called it "Final Fantasy". That's pretty cool :D .

Hadoken
Feb 14th, 2002, 01:51 AM
Here is the reason why....
Hironobu Sakuguchi talked about it many times already,
Its posted at the playonline site.
But i`ll post it here too.

(Quote from Hironobu Sakuguchi)
There was a time where I lost all confidence after switching over to the Famicom; I wasn’t satisfied with anything I was creating. I thought of retiring from the game industry, and so I created Final Fantasy as my final project. That’s why the title incorporates the word, "final", but for me, the title- Final Fantasy reflects my emotional state at the time and it feels as if time has stopped. They say that technology wise, it’s good to keep going, and each time, we give it our all and expend our skills and energy until we can go no further; this is what I consider to be the final fantasy. The stories and characters change each time. This is because stories have a tendency to limit the world and I think by changing these aspects, we try to show our full potential and create different material for a new title; in a way, you can say that it serves as a type of challenge for us.

Soul Angel
Feb 14th, 2002, 04:41 PM
That's the same thing what I read once in a PS2 magazine on how Final Fantasy got its name Had :)

Sword 4 Hire
Feb 14th, 2002, 07:40 PM
Thats some interesting stuff, I never really questioned the name but I'm glad I know now.

jenova_jeb
Feb 14th, 2002, 09:55 PM
''Final Fantasy'' is a pretty cool name though :D . Even though there are 10 out, and more coming :rolleyes: .

Zelgadis
Feb 15th, 2002, 12:16 AM
this is what i have read in game informer im gonna post it here with little more ditails bah just read :)...

THE FINAL FANTASY franchise was borin in 1987 by struggling company named Square co..LTD.At the time .Square was focused mainly on supporting Nintendo's Famicom Disk Drive system.
As fate would have it the Japanese market didnt embrace this machine and it soon faded into obscurity.With all its fnding invested heavily into developing and publishing games for Disk Drive.Square found itself on the verge of collapse and was about to close its doors forever.As bankruptcy draw near.a talentad youbg man named HIRONOBU SAKAGUCHI brought an idea to the table.Sakaguchi proposed that Square funnel all of its available founds into one last game that would give Enix's popular Dragon Quest series a run for its money Ironically the game was entitled FINAL FANTASY It was an appopriate name as many felt the game might be the last ever rleased by Square
as Sakaguchi predicted this swan song release did in fact rival the success of Dragon Quest and propelled Square into hotseat of gaming.To this day .Enix and Square are still locked in heated battel continually trying to outperform one another with each passing release.Recently Enix's production has faltered takin installment of Dragon Quest series .Even with a steady stream of new Final Fantasy games , Square couldnt diminish the Japanese fans affection for the Dragon Quest franchise.On the day od its release Dragon Quest VII flew off retailer shelves and eventually became Japan's biggest PlayStation title with over 4 million untis sold.Square may have made name for itselfwith Final Fantasy but within of japanese gamers there will always be room for two RPGs.Within the US .a different story is unfolding .Dragon Warrior(American anme for Dragon Quest) is but a faint,nastalgic memory for most.Back in the day .Enix owned the U.S market electrifing the Nintendo Entertainment System(NES) with several amazing intallments.Square solitary FF release was well received
but it couldnt compete with Enix's ever-expanding empire.when the Super Nintendo made its debut, the much heated role-playing war ended abruptly.Square brought forth another amazing FF adventure but Enix was nowhere to be seen in what can best be described as one of the worst decisions ever made in video games , Enix elected to make Dragon Quest V and VI Japanses exclusives Not one Dragon Warrior was released within the fif-years lifespan of the super Nintendo.Square didn't bring evry ff to the States either but there were more then enough titles to win over the hearts of American gamers Square basiclly won the war by default as time progressed the role-playing gener grew by leaps and bounds FF painted the path and pushed the envelope.
Just a few months ago Enix tried to make a comeback with release of Dragon Warrior VII but it was too little, too late Eventually Enix may make a resurgence, but for the time being FF is considered by fans and critics alike to be the premier role-play series as video games embark into the future the FF franchise will
undergo a series of changes Square Soft has always been found of motion picture and even released FF film of its own. It became a laughing stock at the box office , but Square is still determined to incorporate aspecis of this medium into its new breed of FF games This of course means the deconstruction of the classic formula that gamers cant seem to get enought of it(TRUE TRUE TRUE) Even without witnessing these alterations firsthand fans of the series voiced their concerns and disapproval-with the underlying voice simply questioning why Square would make such risky gamble.To this day the PS2 hardware has not been favorable to Square Soft.Driving Emotion Type-S flopped and The Bouncer didnt live up to expectations.The hype toward the newest chapter in Square's favorite franchise FFX is high but gamers have their reservations almost predicting that this new direction wont farewell.
With Sakaguchi filling the role of Executive Producer again, and longtime vaterans like Yoshinori Kitase,Hiroshi Kuwabara,Tetsuya Nomura,Nobuo Uematsu and Mire Wong reunite we question "How could this game go wrong?"
This is Square's biggest project to date. Over 100 programmers and artists labored for three years to piece this monstrous title together . now now we all had a tons of questions for those who dont have FFX here is somthing for ya
Is FFX a worthy entery into the series?
Does the cinematic angle fit ino the overall picture?IS the gameplay still as prominenet as before? answer is "YESSSSSSSS"
ill even go as far as to say that this is the best FF since the masterpiece FFVII
huh im kinda tired so dem im off 2 sleep :)