PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid Substance ships - bad version?

Harry
Nov 6th, 2002, 08:56 PM
I received today the copy of Substance for the Xbox, and well, I was excited. Anyhow, while the game is litterally filled with extras, it incredibly lacks all the smoothness of the original.

This is evident from the very first minutes of the game. On the ship, the framerate is awful when you are under the rain, to the point that it ruins the incredible effect of the Ps2 game. Sadly, I experienced numerous slowdowns and even some clipping issues into the ship, especially when there were more than a few enemies on the screen...

I wasn't sincerely expecting this. After all, few know that great part of the screenshots released in the latest months were taken from the Playstation 2 version of the game, on my opinion already complete, but scheduled for a 2003 release for marketing reasons.

Uchiha Sasuke
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:01 PM
Damn maybe its good i didnt go out and buy it for the xbox yet.Good go harry.Hey if you get more time tell us more about the game,i would like to more details on the xbox version and how it controls to the ps2 version and such.

Harry
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:12 PM
Actually, considering all the extras, I probably would buy the game even with the slowdowns and all the rest... but the point is that probably the Playstation 2 version should have all this without the slowdowns. I was expecting a redesigned engine but here I've the strange impression they just threw the Ps2 version into the Xbox disk tray. What disappoints me is that I'm really not used to see slowdowns so often in a Metal Gear Solid game... it seems... how to say... unnatural.

By the way, the controls may seem a bit strange at first, especially for the lack of the double shoulder buttons, but after a few minutes you should have no problem mastering them.

I'll post something more as soon as I have the time to go deeper into the game; I'm a bit busy reviewing Sly Cooper and GTA: Vice City, but I'm curious to see the stuff into Substance too.

MakgSnake
Nov 6th, 2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake from Is Xbox Really screwing Up Games?
I hope the same doesn't happen to MGS2S.
So Xbox is basically.......

How could they do this to MGS2 (Konami, what is going on?.?). Harry does it seem like it was rushed?.?

I just hope the same doesn't happen to the Ps2 Version. No Konami, NO, bad boy!:nono:

Frozen
Nov 8th, 2002, 02:47 AM
What surprises me is that is supposed to work better on a superior console... and yet, it does not? This is disappointing, as well as frustrating. :mad:

twiztidfreak69er
Nov 8th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Hmm somehow Microsoft Xbox brings me back to the days of lets say...Windows 3.1:laugh: j/k

Ninja
Nov 8th, 2002, 08:49 PM
sounds like a F-ed up Rom

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 9th, 2002, 11:37 PM
From what I've read over at the Xbox sites, people are quite pleased with it overall. And from what I remember, there was slight slowdown in the rain on the PS2 version. (but it was very minor)

MakgSnake
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
there was slight slowdown in the rain on the PS2 version. (but it was very minor)
I never had seen any slow down in my version atleast. NEVER.

As for the Xbox version I was at EB (buying my Document) and I played the Xbox version, it looked the same as ps2 (No improvment that I could notice). The only thing I NOTICED too was the slow down. OUCH, it hurts............. right in the heart!

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 10th, 2002, 12:50 AM
Whenever I ran across the front of the ship, it seemed to slow a bit. Every time too. But like I said, it was minor and barely noticeable. (PS2 version BTW)

MakgSnake
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:02 AM
I dunno yo, I play that game almost everyday, and that also the Tanker chapter all the time. I have never seen anything like that.

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:10 AM
Is that game ever going GH? Its been out a while.

MakgSnake
Nov 10th, 2002, 01:27 AM
I have nooo idea...... till now it hasn't. Even GTA3. Just wondering why these best sellers aren't going GH.

Uchiha Sasuke
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:35 AM
In the rain the xbox version runs very slowly in contrast with the ps2 version.Same goes for explosions up close.I wonder why they didnt take time to iron it out.

Sid554
Nov 10th, 2002, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
I have nooo idea...... till now it hasn't. Even GTA3. Just wondering why these best sellers aren't going GH.

Why settle for 20.00 a copy when you can still get 50.00?

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Sid554

Why settle for 20.00 a copy when you can still get 50.00?

Ummmm....because thats $30.00 I could spend elsewhere.

merylsilverburg
Nov 10th, 2002, 08:24 PM
That's too bad. I didn't know Substance was out already, otherwise I probably would've just gotten it and would've been left with this problematic game. :P Thanks Harry. :)
I think I might rent it and see how it is for myself. If the extras are worth to buy it, then I just still might.
However, hearing about all the slowdowns and all makes me shudder in fear....

Daedaelus
Nov 10th, 2002, 11:35 PM
All the stuff Konami has packed into Substance... what did you expect? Anyway, I'm going to buy Substance anyway, for any system. Same old story, just different characters.

Frozen
Nov 11th, 2002, 01:59 AM
We expect the game to have ONLY IMPROVEMENTS, not slowdowns or crap like that. Considering the fact, that X Box is the most powerful console and has the capacity of being exploited in much more ways than a PS2, and having a hard drive, I'm surprised the game would suffer from such symptoms. I still don't have a very valid word on it, though, since I still have not played the game. Gotta rent it.

Beretta55
Nov 11th, 2002, 03:24 AM
i rented the xbox version and it slowed down quite abit on the tanker it was kinda annoying but no big deal so i dont think im buying the xbox version. plus i cant still get use to the controll's MGS2 on ps2 was easier to controll for some reason. but i will rent the ps2 version of subtance also.

Infernal Mass
Nov 11th, 2002, 04:35 PM
I thought it was a bit odd when Konami announced that MGS2 substance for xbox wouldn't be released in Japan. I mean c'mon the only reason that they gave... was that there isn't a big enough user base of xbox in Japan. Why wouldn't they release this directors cut; the deffinative version of metal gear solid 2 in Japan?

I think Konami just slapped this booger together for the xbox to give the console the game first. When it's released for the ps2 most of the issues the game has will be fixed.

MakgSnake
Nov 11th, 2002, 08:26 PM
I played a little part of Tanker Chapter for Substance, and its bad. I know people would say that the Vr covers it up, still...... VR could be fun (very fun) still cant lift the game up. Konami seriously didn't put an effort for the Xbox version. I hope the Ps2 version tops just like last year's hit.

KraftSLU
Nov 11th, 2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by goodman
Out of curiosity, if the Xbox is so powerful, how many games to date have come out for it that would never have been possible on any other system because the Xbox is so powerful it alone can handle it? I sure havent heard of any, but since im just a ps2 person i wouldnt know. The Xbox has been out a year, other than a handful or fairly average to good games, what merits it being such a powerful, superior system? How successful after one year of release is the Xbox in your opinion? Im curious why someone would buy a game on a system that really hasnt proven much of anything yet, other than to play it now, although its not a very good version of the game. It seems to me that if its coming out on the ps2 also, i would just wait and play it on that system if you can. Harry has already mentioned why thats a good idea. There are a few good exclusives to the Xbox but most everything will come out on ps2 and often before it comes out on the other consoles.

Sorry I missed this post, I was just waaay to busy playing xbox live ;) Anyways, what really gets me is after all the complaining people did about the box not having mgs, when it finally came out nobody seems to care. After perusing through a few prominent xbox website over the past month I seemed to notice that even though the release date was set, not a lot of people were looking forward to it. If Goodman is right and Konami skimped out because it was the XBox, then they are just shooting themselves in the foot as a company in the long run. Why? Because it looks like no matter what anyone has to say about it, XBox is here to stay for quite some time. Now if Konami can't pull off a simple port to another system, then who the hell is going to buy any other game they try to push out? Whats the old saying? Never put all your eggs in one basket.

As for has the Xbox proven itself, it has set multiple video game records in it's first year. It has the fastest game to sell one million copies in console history (Halo), the most games to hit the million mark in one year and has the highest ratio of games per system after the first year of any console ever. Right now for every xbox that has been sold, an average of 4.7 games have been sold for it. I own a lot of quality titles (Halo, Morrowind, Hunter, Tony Hawk 2x and 3, NHL 2002, Amped, among others) and play them to death. That is something I really haven't done since I had my NES waaay back in the day. Throw the xbox live system on top of that (which totally rocks any online play I have ever experienced before) and I chalk my xbox up as one huge success. Why? Because it is fun, it plays music, I have great party games, any given night I play my xbox and I can now play games against friends and anonymous people from all over the globe. Im not saying that Xbox is the greatest system to ever grace the earth, but it is by far not the worst and in my opinion in my top five. So what if others don't like it? And you can say MS looks like sega all you want, but it doesn't matter. You know why? Because even if MS bombs the xbox just like sega, I will still play it. Hell, I still play my dreamcast, because it is a fun quality system. Anyways, that was a huge rant and I am done now. If you aren't happy with MGS2:S then get rid of it and play MGS2:S when it comes out on PS2. There are plenty other fun games to play in the meantime.

KraftSLU
Nov 11th, 2002, 10:50 PM
Its the other way around, xbox is outselling gamecube in the US and in Europe now also. In both of these places Xbox has a higher amount of units sold also. Of course, it is still dismal in Japan because Xbox is american and americans are evil or something.

KraftSLU
Nov 12th, 2002, 01:32 AM
LOL, what a huge propeganda articale. Im not one to disparage other systems, but obviously this writer is...

The company is already using technology derived from its Passport online sign-in service to help people log into Xbox Live. Its approach to online gaming is similar to the proprietary strategy it pursues in many of its core businesses: The company sells its software with components that work well together but don't necessarily operate with competitors' programs.

What? MS is going to sell software that only works on Xbox's and not other gaming consoles? The bastards! They should learn to be nice and let their games work on any system! :peoples:

To use Xbox Live, gamers must have an expensive, high-speed "broadband" Internet connection, instead of merely a dial-up connection

yeah, because only mega-bajillionaires have enough money for DSL... wait, I am a poor college student, but I can still scrape together 40 bucks a month for DSL. I would have been paying 20 bucks a month for dial-up anyways and 20 dollars for 56 K or 40 for 1500 K... I think I got the most for my money...

and also must buy a $50 set-up kit in addition to the standard Xbox console and games

DAMN MICROSOFT FOR CHARGING MONEY FOR THE VOICE COMMUNICATOR AND GAME DEMOS! Oh wait, charging money for your product is what some people like to call 'good business sense'.

The kit includes a headset used to talk to other players and a year's subscription to Microsoft's gaming network, which is accessible only by using the Xbox connected to a TV.

What the f**k?! Now we have to have a TV?!?!?! What the hell is MS trying to do to us!@

In addition to Electronic Arts Inc.'s Madden NFL football title, Sony is also offering online versions of Twisted Metal: Black, its popular vehicle-combat game, and Final Fantasy, a leading game from Square Co. None of those games can be played online on the Xbox

Sony has exclusive games too?! The hell you say!

Wow, if anything this articale was a good laugh.

Frozen
Nov 13th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by goodman
Myself, after playing the demo of MGS2 last year i kinda lost a good bit of the desire to play MGS2 when it came out. Ive played it some after buying it, but its not as big a deal to me as others. I have had systems that i really enjoyed that others never really got into, (TurboDuo, Saturn), that i will pretty much hold onto because i think they had some great games. Im sure the Xbox like any system has some great games. But since at least one person (Frozen in particular) keeps mentioning how the Xbox is supposed to be so superior a machine to the others, has there been any true to form games that just scream YES the Xbox is just so much more superior? Out of curiosity, Kraft, is it true that the GameCube has outsold the Xbox here in the U.S.? They were talking about there somewhere else, and im just curious.

Why I keep mentioning that, is because X Box claims that itself. And the machine as such, has the most powerful specs, more powerful than any other existent console. But my curiosity is the same as yours, goodman, if the machine is so powerful, why the hell haven't they exploited it? That's the whole point when I mention it. And now, taking HALO as an example, I really would not know how that game would play in a PS2 since it uses the hard drive of the X Box to load the levels, which are quite big. In a PS2 it would probably keep loading all the time and the framerate would be slower, I guess, but I'm not well instructed in these matters.

But as Kraft said, I have never said that the X Box is the BEST CONSOLE EVER, I have just said it is the MOST POWERFUL when talking about hardware, and I believe that is a fact. Unfortunately, not many good games have been released for it, YET, there's some interesting titles coming in the near future. And I still have not tried X Box Live.

and as a side note, I'd like to tell you all that I love all of the consoles I own, which are the aftermentioned X Box, a PS2, and a Dreamcast. I believe I use them all with the same frequence. And I hope I'll be buying a Gamecube as well, specially for Metoid Prime, Zelda, and the Resident Evil games that are coming soon for it.

kupoartist
Nov 13th, 2002, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
yeah, because only mega-bajillionaires have enough money for DSL... wait, I am a poor college student, but I can still scrape together 40 bucks a month for DSL. I would have been paying 20 bucks a month for dial-up anyways and 20 dollars for 56 K or 40 for 1500 K... I think I got the most for my money...
i can only speak for the UK, but X-Box live will bomb here not because broadband is expensive (perhaps it isn't immediatly affordable, but it is reasonable) but because the coverage is absolutely laughable. Certain areas get all the tech, others are stuck with ISDN at best (from the world's last surviving 28k user ^_^ - not out of choice due to the wonderful world of "DACS")

and the substance stuff is generally interesting... was it not headed to PC as well? (I suspect that'd get the same shoddy conversion as well...).... I'll wait for the PS2 version

Harry
Nov 13th, 2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by the_artist
i can only speak for the UK, but X-Box live will bomb here not because broadband is expensive (perhaps it isn't immediatly affordable, but it is reasonable) but because the coverage is absolutely laughable. Certain areas get all the tech, others are stuck with ISDN at best (from the world's last surviving 28k user ^_^ - not out of choice due to the wonderful world of "DACS")

and the substance stuff is generally interesting... was it not headed to PC as well? (I suspect that'd get the same shoddy conversion as well...).... I'll wait for the PS2 version

Yeah, this is a common problem everywhere in Europe.

MakgSnake
Nov 15th, 2002, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
Is that game ever going GH? Its been out a while.
Sleazy, today Metal Gear Solid 2 for the Playstation2 went "Greatest Hits"..... I saw alot of them in the inventory. Just to let you know.... check it out. :)

GaseousSnake
Nov 17th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Its the other way around, xbox is outselling gamecube in the US and in Europe now also. In both of these places Xbox has a higher amount of units sold also. Of course, it is still dismal in Japan because Xbox is american and americans are evil or something.

Yo Kraft there is a difference btw the UK and Europe,apparantely the cube is leading in Europe and not UK ,why cuz the Xbox is about 169 pounds.

Sleazy P Martini
Nov 20th, 2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake <br>
I never had seen any slow down in my version atleast. NEVER.

I just picked up MGS2 and you're right Makg, no slowdown at all. Hmmm....I wonder why it seemed to do it before? *scratches head* Maybe it was my PS2.