PDA

View Full Version : Can MGS be considered Sci-fi?

Black Heart
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:10 PM
The question is plain and simple: could MGS game be considered sci-fi works besides action games or not?

Daedaelus
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:18 PM
If you include all the "gadgets", such as the Stealh Camo, or the Bandana, then yes...

MakgSnake
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:19 PM
I am not too sure. Ok yeah the game does have some really high tech stuff in it and some real weirdos. Still its something that doesn't hit on my head atleast.

The game I believe takes place in the year 2014 (Plant Chapter), and still they havn't shown really crazy stuff (other then MG RAY and Arsenal Gear), If they wanted to, they could have shown some serious stuff. It has some real high gadgets (that technology Fortune uses) So yeah things like Sci-Fi comes in mind.

Still, its a made believe game. The game doesn't take place in Space or in a really futuristic enviornment. So I guess, it cannot be considered a Sci-fi action.

But then I am sure people would have different point of views and probably say that MGS is infact a true Sci-Fi Action game. Oh well, opinions are opinions.

Black Heart
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:20 PM
If you include all the "gadgets", such as the Stealh Camo, or the Bandana, then yes...

I'm not strictly talking about gadgets, but about the game in general, including the plot. For example, reading MGS script without playing the game, would you think it's sci-fi or not?

MakgSnake
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Even after reading the script only, I wouldn't call it a Sci-fi action game.

Cause if I make a movie on it which even takes place 20 years after Plant Chapter, it would be seen as an action movie, not a Sci-fi action thriller. Dunno, thats the way I look at it.

Black Heart
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Ok, btw, I replied before I could read your previous post Makg, so I was mainly referring to Iguana's post. BTW, is hi-tech necessary to call a work sci-fi? If so, in MGS we have tons of hi-tech stuff and genetic experiments. This IMO would be considered sort of sci-fi...

MakgSnake
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Black Heart
MGS we have tons of hi-tech stuff and genetic experiments. This IMO would be considered sort of sci-fi...
You are right about that. Just like "Minority Report" is an action movie, but comes under "Sci-fi" action flicks. Just like that people could take Metal Gear as a Sci-fi series.

But just as in general, in video games, its not exactly like that I believe. I mean ZOE could be called a perfect Sci-fi game, as you will hear it every where as well. But I have never read it anywhere that MGS is a Sci-fi game. People dont look at it as in a Sci-fi manner.

I dont know why. And may be thats the reason I dont think its Sci-fi either. Having high tech things in a movie or game doesn't really make the "project" Sci-fi. Ive seen some movies which deals with latest technology stuff, and considered plain thrillers, nothing to do with Sci-fi. But not everybody's point of view is same. So like I said, opinions will come in about this.

I dont take it as a Sci-fi, someone would. :)

Black Heart
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

I mean ZOE could be called a perfect Sci-fi game, as you will hear it every where as well.

I've always thought ZOE was a fighting game :laugh: :laugh:

MakgSnake
Oct 30th, 2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Black Heart
I've always thought ZOE was a fighting game :laugh: :laugh:
Well its a Sci-fi action game. It becomes a fighting beat em up, after you finish it once. (Two player mode, VS)

But like I said people take games in different manner. Unlike movies, over here we devide games as in "Action/Survival/RPG/Adventure/Stealth/Platform"

Still, Resident Evil is a survival horror, and "Run Like Hell" Is a Sci-fi Survival Horror. I guess, its the "Space" thing that makes it a Sci-fi.

Rei
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by MakgSnake
I guess, its the "Space" thing that makes it a Sci-fi.

I can't agree on that, because it's not space that makes a sci-fi movie or book or nything else. Space is one of the elements that are very often used in sci-fi works, but there are tons of sci-fi movies and books that have nothing to do with space.

MakgSnake
Oct 30th, 2002, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Rei
but there are tons of sci-fi movies and books that have nothing to do with space.
I was talking about "Run Like Hell" in particular, not saying anything that took place in space is Sci-fi. But RHL is known as a Sci-fi Survival Horror, and was just guessing. :P

merylsilverburg
Nov 7th, 2002, 07:21 PM
Whoa, I'm late. :right:
Anyway, this is a very good question...in my opinion, I feel that it can but also can't. First off, maybe it's just that stereotypical imagery, but MGS just doesn't occur to me as Sci-fi because of the "no space" thing. :P However, it can also be considered as Sci-fi because of all the equipment and mecha-ish designs in the game. And taking into consideration of that "alternate" world near the end of MGS2, that part makes this game, indeed, very Sci-fi. So, in the end, I guess the series can be a cross between action and Sci-fi, though I'm not too sure what the real answer is.

MakgSnake
Nov 28th, 2002, 12:46 AM
Its just that the game is heading fast towards time. And we know in the future there will be more advance products and equipments.

When back in 1987, would you have ever raised this question about Metal Gear being Sci Fi?........ No. Because at that time the game was based on present time, may be a little ahead like in the year 1995 or something. In the story the game has a specific time line and it'll be on that time line no matter what. And as far it goes in time, the more advance and new hi tech things we'll see.

But would stay an action/adventure game.

mark0™
Nov 28th, 2002, 10:52 AM
well maybe its Sci-Fi, there are some weird elements to the game, Psycho Mantis for example, Vamp too. These guy's arent really sci-fiish, more like fantasyish, but i'd still stick to it as a futuristic action game.

dan da man
Nov 28th, 2002, 01:19 PM
dont forget most of the bad guys were made like vamp and fortune and no it is not classed as a sci-fi its a action stealth