PDA

View Full Version : Best-seller game (not Ps2)

Ruby Moon
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:16 PM
I just want to know facts, not theories, so I'll go with my question: which game is the best-seller speaking of non-PS2 games?

Daedaelus
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Do you mean of all time? If so, then the best selling game of all time is Zelda: Ocarina of Time. (I think)

Ruby Moon
Oct 6th, 2002, 07:22 PM
Is it a Gameboy title? I can't remember very well, but I think so...

BlackThornn
Oct 6th, 2002, 09:56 PM
Do you mean on consoles or any game period?

I'll take any game period for 100$..

What is "The Sims".

AudioBoxer
Oct 6th, 2002, 10:14 PM
If they sold CS it would be, but other than that I think it is Halo!

Miki
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:11 AM
I don't think Halo could be considered the best selling game. In Japan for example it sold really few copies and Japanese market is huge for videogames.

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Moon
I just want to know facts, not theories, so I'll go with my question: which game is the best-seller speaking of non-PS2 games? I'm not really sure what the best-selling game is of all time PS2 or not. It would be interesting to see the sales figures for the all-time top sellers...

I have been searching on Google for any lists but can't find a bean. It'd be nice for someone to introduce fact into this thread rather than simply naming any old game. Does anyone know where such a list exists?

- S

BlackThornn
Oct 7th, 2002, 07:25 PM
I said it before, guys. The Sims is the "best selling game" for the PC... which pretty much means period. Got that off the box and from numerous mentions in sites such as IGN.

Ruby Moon
Oct 8th, 2002, 05:41 AM
I didn't know the Sims went so well with selling. I knew it's a quite popular game, but does the fact it's the best-seller for PC automatically means it's the best-seller ever? :confused:
Not all people who own a computer buy and play PC games, after all...

Spank-A-Thon
Oct 8th, 2002, 07:20 AM
Unlike asking 'which is the best game ever', the question Ruby asks can be answered with fact.

We could go on all year debating which is the best game, but there can be no debate about which is the best-selling game because somewhere there will be data that shows this.

Has no-one had any luck yet finding this information? I know I haven't!

- S

KraftSLU
Oct 8th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Hmm... best selling game ever? Im sure tetris is probably it.

Hylas
Oct 9th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Hmm... best selling game ever? Im sure tetris is probably it.

Are we talking about any Tetris game evr made, or about a particular Tetris among the others?

jjmoohead
Oct 9th, 2002, 01:02 PM
I thought the best selling game for a console was Goldeneye for the 64. It is up there anyway. Tetris original would be huge to, if the question was over all console (meaning the title of a game that was sold on all oconsoles added up, then yes tetris is the winner, but individual game on individual console then i dont think tetris wins

Jolie
Oct 9th, 2002, 08:02 PM
I've always thought Super Mario games were the best selling ones, but they made a huge number of those games, so I can't say if one of them could be the best-selling.

kupoartist
Oct 12th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by BlackThornn
I said it before, guys. The Sims is the "best selling game" for the PC... which pretty much means period. Got that off the box and from numerous mentions in sites such as IGN. I believe you're definatly right: the fact that it was in the UK PC charts for about 10,000 weeks kind of backs that up... though you have to wonder how many people forgot they'd already brought a copy (I brought 1 copy... though I was sensible enough to sell ^_^). - I believe Half-Life (PC) is just about the second best seller? (wonders if UT2003 will be so popular)

BlackThornn
Oct 14th, 2002, 07:23 PM
I had watched a whole bunch of stuff on the G4 network about the Sims and the creator of the franchise (along with SimCity, one of my favorite games). So yes, that's the #1 Selling game of all time, now, "officially". Still can't find a link but it's true. :)

And I dunno about UT 2003 being so popular. Sure it's a great game but the system requirements to really run it smoothly are relatively steep. Not to say it won't be extremely popular, though. Just maybe not so much as Half-life.

MakgSnake
Oct 28th, 2002, 06:17 PM
The best selling game of all time (any console) is Super Mario Brothers, had sold a total of 40.23 million copies worldwide.

The best selling game on PC is Myst, has sold 500,000 copies in its first year. And has sold 4 million copies till now. But now it may be Sims as people are saying.

Fastest selling game on any console is "Pokeman Yellow", it was released in the USA on Oct 18 1999 and had sold 1 Million copies within 10 days.

And just an add on, the biggest software launch ever was of "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty". Konami generated approximately $25 million in sales the first day alone (a figure that beats the opening day results of most hollywood blockbusters). Initial shipment of 1.8 million copies to retailers the very first day.

lowdru2k2
Oct 29th, 2002, 10:40 PM
I would say 007 Goldeneye or Zelda 64.

mark0™
Nov 21st, 2002, 11:58 AM
i thought the pokemon series would b best selling...

MakgSnake
Nov 21st, 2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by mark0

i thought the pokemon series would b best selling...
Like I said in my previous post, its the fasting selling. :)

Vicious
Dec 6th, 2002, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's either Zelda: Ocarina of Time, or 007: Goldeneye:phew:

dan da man
Dec 6th, 2002, 05:16 PM
i thought it was mgs1 the best selling game or ever the fastest selling!

Mercury Shadow
Dec 6th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Miki

I don't think Halo could be considered the best selling game.

That's right because I bet there have been more Zelda: Ocarina of Times sold than Xbox consoles :laugh:

KraftSLU
Dec 6th, 2002, 11:16 PM
Actually, I just looked this up in the guiness book of world records. Though I don't remember exactly what order they are in, the entire top 5 are dominated by Pokemon.

Pokemon Red
Pokemon Blue
Poekmon Snap
some other pokemon
another pokemon.