PDA

View Full Version : Is the future of anime in Computer Graphics?

Pu the Owl
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:03 AM
It's obvious that nowadays many anime series use computer graphics as an helpful hand. There are some series that use CG too much, like Blue Submarine no. 6. I found, thinking about it, that the main reason I can't stand that series, and other similar ones, is the massive usage of computers, especially for the backgrounds of 3D effects. The result is that the look of series like Blue Submarine is too... mechanical? Robotical? I don't know if you get what I mean, but this was my impression.

Qjij_jijQ
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:41 AM
Yes Fortune... I get what you mean ;)

I think it depends though... It can probably 'go well' with some anime, but with others, it might actually ruin the 'feeling'... I take Princess Mononoké for example: If it was more like CG, I think it might have ruined the whole climax of the movie... the way it was done made it look as if you could almost feel the environment... and I don't think you could do that with more 'computerish' graphics.

Okay, I'm gettin' crazy now... never mind. :disturb:

BlackThornn
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:11 PM
Using computers to aid in "inbetweening" is fine, but I agree that using too many CG backgrounds along with anime style character models is getting stale really fast. Hopefully the trend will stop soon before it infects the whole industry.

merylsilverburg
Oct 2nd, 2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by BlackThornn
Using computers to aid in "inbetweening" is fine, but I agree that using too many CG backgrounds along with anime style character models is getting stale really fast. Hopefully the trend will stop soon before it infects the whole industry.

True. In some cases, it's really great when they use CG in the animes. Like, take Hellsing for example. There's quite a few CG uses in that anime, but it blends so well that it looks terrific. Well...I suppose the whole CG backgrounds might stick around for a while because it's easier to use it than to hand draw all the backgrounds and such. Which is a shame because I don't like the CG uses that much either, but it can't be helped.

MADRUCKIS
Oct 3rd, 2002, 12:18 AM
Yeah, I agree with Meryl and Qjij

I hate overdosing on CG's during animes like Blue Submarine. But, like previousley said, Hellsing has the right color scheme just to blend it within the right places. Princess Mononoke, while superb hand drawn, had a few CG's in it but not many to remember.....(only one I think actually is following the arrow....but that was cool cause nowadays everyone follows the bullet. Now following the arrow thats like almost pure genius, pure.....oh)

CG's help but whole series in that fromat hurts my eyes.
*curses being color-blind*
:mad:

Frozen
Oct 4th, 2002, 04:24 AM
I actually liked Blue Submarine because of that, I think it went pretty well with that. But as most of you have said, definitely not for every anime, but just for few, actually.

But I wouldn't mind an anime series made in a "Final Fantasy spirits within" fashion. Not at all.

merylsilverburg
Oct 4th, 2002, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Frozen
I actually liked Blue Submarine because of that, I think it went pretty well with that. But as most of you have said, definitely not for every anime, but just for few, actually.

Blue Submarine...that anime seems to be a main example for the large usage of CG....tell me, Frozen or Fortune or anyone who's seen it....how much CG is exactly used in there?

But I wouldn't mind an anime series made in a "Final Fantasy spirits within" fashion. Not at all.

Hmm...to me, that'd be too much CG actually. :P

BTW, Frozen-sama your Inbox is full. :right:

Ruby Moon
Oct 4th, 2002, 06:34 PM
I got tired of Blue Submarine for the same reason... adding to tha, the story was quite dumb IMO :P

I do not think it's a good idea to use so much CG in anime. the best thing in anime is that they are "cartoons", and there are people who actually draw them. I couldn't imagine all anime like Frozen said, made like FF:TSW. That would suck and people would be bored of that style really soon.

BTW, there are some series who use CG in a clever way. Meryl gave an example, but if you want another one let's talk about Cowboy Bebop: almost completely colored with the computers.

Frozen
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Ruby Moon

. I couldn't imagine all anime like Frozen said, made like FF:TSW. That would suck and people would be bored of that style really soon.

Honey, out of offense that'd be close minded. You don't know if it will suck or not until you see it. Besides, I didn't say "ALL ANIME" what I said, was just a particular anime series made that way.

As for Blue Submarine's story... it was actually a deeper story than what you could tell. I don't think it wa dumb. It just recquired a little bit of analysis so you could understand it pretty well, I think.

Meryl, that anime, I'd say, has the CG thing like in about a 40% of it... you see, you can usually see that it's just like any other anime around (but trust me, awsome art quality, a quality nearly as neat as that of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) but it also has it's enahnced things, like, somebody's smoking, you can see the neat effects in the smoke aided by computer, things like that. but then alos you have certain scenes that are completely CG, like you see a battle between the submarine and anothe ship, which are quite excellent CG scenes, the quality is real nice, but it's kinda hard to describe, gotta watch it to understand it.

P.S. try again Meryl-chan, it must be cleansed by the time you read this, sorry bout that.

Ruby Moon
Oct 5th, 2002, 06:59 AM

Honey, out of offense that'd be close minded. You don't know if it will suck or not until you see it. Besides, I didn't say "ALL ANIME" what I said, was just a particular anime series made that way.

As for Blue Submarine's story... it was actually a deeper story than what you could tell. I don't think it wa dumb. It just recquired a little bit of analysis so you could understand it pretty well, I think.

It's a matter of tastes then, because I haven't seen all this depht in that anime nor I enjoyed the excessive CG usage.

Frozen
Oct 5th, 2002, 03:24 PM
Of course it's a matter of tastes. And I respect yours. And is not like if I think that Blue submarine is the best anime out there. But it does not suck either. I just like to appreciate the great job they did while making it, because, believe me, it is not an easy thing to do. I just think it's nice to have a littlechange once in a while, try new techniques in new animes. Of course I'd hate to see that sort of CG in an anime like Hellsing or Record of Lodoss War.

And as Blue Submarine was set in a futuristic world, the CG's just fitted perfectly IMO. Having in mind they were really good quality and not just some ugly CG's like the crap you will see in Digicrapmon or stuff like that.

merylsilverburg
Oct 5th, 2002, 09:59 PM

Meryl, that anime, I'd say, has the CG thing like in about a 40% of it... you see, you can usually see that it's just like any other anime around (but trust me, awsome art quality, a quality nearly as neat as that of Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust) but it also has it's enahnced things, like, somebody's smoking, you can see the neat effects in the smoke aided by computer, things like that. but then alos you have certain scenes that are completely CG, like you see a battle between the submarine and anothe ship, which are quite excellent CG scenes, the quality is real nice, but it's kinda hard to describe, gotta watch it to understand it.

Thank you for the explanation, Frozen. I always see the cover of Blue Submarine and it always intrigues me, but I never get it 'cause of the fear of it not being so good. I guess I'll have to check it out once to see for myself.
Continuing the topic, I don't know how good an anime will be that uses all CG like FF:SW....it might be unique, but I'm not sure how long that will last. :P It'll be interesting to see someone try to accomplish that though.

Cannibal Clown
Oct 8th, 2002, 04:33 PM
I feel that computer animation will never take anime under control.

No matter how much cool effrects you put in a japanese cartoon, it's nothing without any of the awesome drawings. Like bebop, or ghost in the shell. They are so filled with cg it's almost scary. But the drawings themself are unbelievable. But with those animes that are entirely cg, they suck and aren't the shows that we knew to love. The shit which is entirely cell drawings. the big eyes, and the pointy chins. that's what anime is, and it will never leave entirely. And the cging can only make all of those cool explosions and mecha fight scenes twenty times better.

So you have nothing to fear.

Suzuki_Fanboy
Dec 5th, 2002, 10:34 PM
I certainly hope it isn't the future of anime. I'm not a big fan of the Computer-made anime...or the scenes within classic, hand-drawn anime. They can annoy me sometimes.

Elmyra
Dec 6th, 2002, 06:08 AM
I don't like much CG in anime. It makes the anime series look ugly. Computers can help, but they cannot replace a good drawing.