PDA

View Full Version : About region coding...

Ian
Sep 30th, 2002, 11:10 AM
I bought ps2 over xbox due to the larger number of games.. but it seems I was wrong! Why?

The region coding. Some of the games I like are from another region, and I cannot play? I dun want to pay extra to mod my set and shorten its' lifespan.

Is there no way to play all regions without modding? Whats it for anyway? They will lose customers. right?

Miki
Sep 30th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Regions are not only for videogames. DVDs, VHS, videorecorders and also TVs are made following regions. It's not anything new. It's always been like this. It's a system, I think, created mainly for the different needs and markets of the various regions of the world.

And no, I don't think you can't play without modding your console.

Harry
Sep 30th, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Ian
I bought ps2 over xbox due to the larger number of games.. but it seems I was wrong! Why?

The region coding. Some of the games I like are from another region, and I cannot play? I dun want to pay extra to mod my set and shorten its' lifespan.

Is there no way to play all regions without modding? Whats it for anyway? They will lose customers. right?

The Xbox uses exactly the same system.

Companies introduce region coding for games to have full control over the market. I'll make a simple example: Metal Gear Solid 2 is released in North America before than in Europe, so all European customers order their copies from the U.S. at all advantage of Konami of America, but creating big troubles to Konami of Europe.

Ian
Oct 1st, 2002, 04:42 AM
Yah, but some games never come out in another region, like DoA in NTSC/UC format. Or am I just unable to find one?

Pu the Owl
Oct 2nd, 2002, 01:40 PM
Many games are not made for all regions. For example there is a large number of Japanese games you'll never see outside Japan. I know this sucks, but it's how things go ... :heh:

Harry
Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Ian
Yah, but some games never come out in another region, like DoA in NTSC/UC format. Or am I just unable to find one?

Ian which DoA are you speaking of?

Ian
Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:01 PM
Actually, I dunno how many types of DoA there are, I am new to the ps2 scene. Heard there is the original one and an enhanced one, just that I find them in NTSC/J format. Also Bloody Roar 3. I enjoyed the two titles prequel on the ps. Is there already NTSC/UC format out there?

Rohamgh
Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:24 PM
what really bakes my noodle (hey its not MY fault i cant swear) is that basketball games + football games rarely come to europe...that sux....yep it doz....

hijakedGTR
Oct 23rd, 2002, 06:17 AM
:roll: i always thought you had to boil noodles? :peoples: