PDA

View Full Version : I'm European... Get Me Out of Here!

kupoartist
Sep 8th, 2002, 12:41 PM
ok... so the title is a little bit random... But I'm just gonna ask some general RPG purchase questions. And could do with recommendations for PS1 and PS2 RPGs that are worth getting.

Stuff thats actually available in Europe (shock!)
Vagrant Story is already on the list of things to get, because its nicely cheap and supposdly pretty good. But what about the only other Square-Europe released RPG: SaGa Frontier 2? it seems really cute (always a plus with me ^_^) but has anyone actually played it?

Also how good are Breath of Fire III and IV? and are there any other decent Euro-released RPGs? (unlikely, right?)

Importing NTSC games (ouchies!)
eap! - the very thought of doing this creeps me out, yet there are loads of games that really look quite intresting...
Top of the list is Tactics... thats pretty certain. But what about the million and ten other Square series' not available in Europe?

: Chrono Cross and XenoGears are names I hear thrown around a lot, but I'm not sure Xenogears appeals to me too much... also the "cutie" games, SaGa Frontier 1 and Legend of Mana. (after playing ROMs of Seiken Densetsu II and III LoM sounds kind of appealing) Oh and finally, does anyone know what Threads of Fate is like? It looks kind of good as well...

Are there any others worth importing? can anyone suggest a decent shop to import from? How reliable is ebay? Are you still awake? ^_^

JC Denton
Sep 8th, 2002, 02:54 PM
off topic but- you dont watch that proggrame with all the washed hasbeens or haveneverbeens on it do you,?
i mean "im a celebrity... get me out of here",

who wants to watch tara palmer tomkinson and christine halmalton argue all day on a desert island? cos faceit they are two of the most hated women in england, and just watching them annoyes me,

anyway, do you have a ps1 or ps2? or do you emulate,?
but whatever, you should get baldur's gate dark alliance, it looks really good, it may not be in the same style as the rest of them and looks much more like a diablo type game, but i am definatley getting for xbox, as soon as it is out in england,
try some of the old ones aswell, such as legend of legia, i lend you it if you want, umless you emulate,
get, onimusha aswell, and LOTR, and grandia 2 is supposed to be exellent. (thats out on pc aswell)

anyway the europe thing, its so annoying, how come we get games so much later than everyone else, sometimes they never come out in europe,

where is raw is war for the xbox, i cant find it anywhere in england!

kupoartist
Sep 8th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JC Denton
anyway, do you have a ps1 or ps2? or do you emulate,?
but whatever, you should get baldur's gate dark alliance, it looks really good, it may not be in the same style as the rest of them and looks much more like a diablo type game, but i am definatley getting for xbox, as soon as it is out in england,
try some of the old ones aswell, such as legend of legia, i lend you it if you want, umless you emulate,
get, onimusha aswell, and LOTR, and grandia 2 is supposed to be exellent. (thats out on pc aswell)

anyway the europe thing, its so annoying, how come we get games so much later than everyone else, sometimes they never come out in europe
I've had a PSOne for a while now, but I did once emulate (I completed FFIX on the PC ^_^) It has its benefits, but it does look better on the screen. As for a PS2, I'd probably have never been moaning about this if I'd bothered to read the "next day delivery MON-FRI only" hehe... I feel pretty dumb right now.

There are good reasons why we don't get as many games, or as Quick. Firstly because the TV standards are so different (NTSC -> Pal) and secondly because the French. and the Germans the Swedish and the rest. Translation is sadly another thing thats compulsory before a game is released anywhere in Europe.
Just because there are reasons, doesn't mean I agree with them. True, a lot of these games never sell, but it plain sucks :(

Oh and yes, the title of the thread is intentionally similar to the TV program. and yes, the TV program is rubbish. Who honestly wants to hear about Tony Blackburn's Log collection? :laugh:

Evil Parrot
Sep 10th, 2002, 05:30 AM
Also how good are Breath of Fire III and IV?

2 of the best RPG's on the PS in my opinion. You'll get BOF 3 on e-bay, but you should be able to pick up BOF 4 quite easily (for £20!).

Legend of legaia - I really like this one, it runs slow through your PS2 though.

Frozen
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:41 PM
I never completed Vagrant Story, unfortunately. However, is one of my biggest recommendations to you, along with Breath of fire 4.

Vagrant Story is a unique RPG. It's battle system is completely different from any other RPG, and in my opinion, absolutely awsome (although it may be a littlle hard to get used to some of it's features at the beginning)

Breath of Fire 4 has some of those "cute" factors, but well, I'm not one who really looks much into that, but ito the game's plot, gameplay, and graphics. And it indeed has a 9 or 10 in such categories for me (although the ending sucks big time IMO)

You should also take a look at Xenogears, I've heard that it's one of the best RPG's in story because of it's plot, and well, it's anime sequences and stuff. I haven't played it that much, though.

THREADS OF FATE: Probably you'll want this one. I owned it and played it with the little guy (forgot his name) I think that the game has quite awsome graphics. The storyline is not that bad, and I am sure you'll like it because of it's "cuteness factor" ^_^ However, I didn't like the gameplay that much. I"m not saying it sucks, but I've played several games with a much better gameplay than this game's. However, I'm almost sure you'll want to check out this game.

As for Chrono Cross.... if you like Final Fantasy games, I'm sure you'l like this one. Not as good in storyline as Chrono Trigger, but it's graphics and sound are outstanding, and it's battle system is one of my favorites ever in a RPG. And has a great replay value as well.

I don't have words for Saga Frontier games as I have never played. I've heard they're good games, though.

Oh, and I don't know if you have ever tried Legend of Dragoon... one of my favorite RPG's as well ^_^

kupoartist
Sep 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the opinions ^_^ - just for the sake of it, i've found these prices:

Imports:
FF Tactics :
$19.95 + $6.00(shipping) - www.tronixweb.com (£16.9596 !!!)
$13.00 + shipping (supposeldy v expensive) www.buyrite.net

- The rest are from www.dvdboxoffice.com, which claims to ship anywhere in the world for FREE (! and i've heard this is actually not a fake :laugh: - they even list prices in any currency you want automatically)
Threads of Fate: £22.89
Chrono Cross: £19.80
Legend of Mana: £29.49
Xenogears: My Legs, or £39.99 from Newageconsoles
SaGa Frontier I: The Cost of Developing a Time Travel Device that can cross the ocean.

European
Vagrant Story - £12.99 (Amazon) - £15.00 (somewhere not on the internet! or www.gameplay.co.uk)
SaGa Frontier 2 - £10.00 (2nd Hand - Spotty Male in my year)
Breath of Fire IV - about £20 on the street.
Breath of Fire III - The cost of developing a run-of-the-mill time machine that only beams me onto UK turf.
---
I'll probably get FF:T first, then some of the others (not Xenogears - expensive or SF1 / BFIII - non exsistent)... All I need is a External Mod Chip (not going inside my PSX - It used to belong to a guy with a slobering dog) Several Memory Cards, a New ISP (BTInternet are kicking me off :laugh:) £132.13 for the ones I really want... and A small, round Aubergine

Edit: Chrono Cross is actually cheaper from www.tronixweb.com...

Evil Parrot
Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:39 AM
Breath of fire 3 I would highly reccomend. Heres a few links on the UK e-bay site thats selling the game

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1382435381

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1381897069

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1381747991