PDA

View Full Version : Da Big Deal!

BowevelJoe
Aug 15th, 2002, 10:49 PM
I have an Xbox, Gamecube, and a PS2..things i have noticed..

PS2: Lots and lots of games, and quite a few MUST MUST buy titles, meaning lots of high quality games, go PS2!

Gamecube: Nintendo..the fock are you thinking? Ruining all its classics..might as well jump in the sinking ship Sega went down in not too long ago... its just leaning waaay way torwards the younger audiances..

Xbox: The prettiest damn graphics of all consoles, but you know what? NO FUN FACTOR! The games look freaking beautiful, but then you play the games and your like what the hell? This is terrible! Only games worth mentioning is DOA3 and Halo, and maybe RalliSport Challenge, everything else is PURE CRAP.. just some things i have noticed :)

KraftSLU
Aug 15th, 2002, 11:06 PM
hmm... well since I have all 3 systems sitting in my living room I will do the same critique:

PS2: Tons of games, unfortunately there is a lot of crap games I have to wade through to find ones that don't bite. Also I have had more trouble with this console than any of my others so far. Im on my 2nd ps2 system already and it is my most recent purchase. Still, MGS2 was a great game, though it lost a lot of replay value, GTA3 has replay value left.

Gamecube: Graphics are as good as the xboxs right now, though there aren't a whole lot of games that grasp my interest. Monkey ball disappointed me, waverace bit, the only game I have played consistently is resident evil, which really isn't 'innovative' on any front.

XBox: Already has tons of great games I play all the time (DOA3, Halo, THPS3 minus jaggies and framerate stutters, Morrowind, NFL Fever 2003) and has the most exciting lineup for my tastes. Ninja Gaiden... *drools*. Also think it will be the best system for online sports games thanks to flat rate for all games and that cool voice communicator to compliment lag free gaming thanks to broadband.

Infernal Mass
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:18 AM
:drool: @ Ninja Gaiden

Xbox and Ps2 are both great systems.

jjmoohead
Aug 16th, 2002, 10:46 AM
my take on it

PS2 - For being in/near the 3 year old stage I have to admit its still the number 1 system. Its going to have an online commincator just like xbox (so i dont get whats so big about xbox). It already has the up in games especially good ones. It has the 5 biggest games that one could play over and over in GTA3, GT3, FFX, MGS:2, and of course Twisted Metal: Black, just to name a few.

The graphics are still at the same level of comparision to the other 2 systems and this is amazing considering its/near 3 years old.

The line up for games is going to even better especially since the internet gaming is available in just over a weeks time. And FFXI is going to be the game of all games, and person interested in FF will own this game and play it for years or at least until the next one. This is only one, image socom, twisted metal online and madden 2003, Tony Hawk 3, and thats just on relase day.

Gamecube - Agreed they have a younger factor still set in from there success with pokemon back with the 64. Although they are making a step in the right direction with resident evil. If Game cub turns around and realizes that although they can survive with Mario related games, to stay in second ahead of xbox, they need more games like Metriod.

Xbox - The best system to date for its hardware, no doubt about it, but still needs a game that will push it into second place. It has nothing to offer the market that Sony or Gamecube can't do either. One or the other that is. The games thus far although look great, have a serious glitch or lagg factor, or i have played the game before in one way or another on the PC or Playstation. What this system needs is THE GAME OF ALL GAMES to pull it out of the basement. A online version of something like FFXI where thousands of people can play that is unique and grabs peoples attention is what will do it.

Xbox needs a big jump come christmas, and until 2005 roles around I'm affraid that xbox will do nothing more then over take gamecube for second place. Until they can capture the hearts of Europe, Playstation will still lead the battle. And everyone know europe is still lacking broadband, so no internet gaming on xbox for them.

So yes, PS2 is still the better system to this date, and if you can honestly tell yourself that PS2 has crappy games or a bad system then you really need to repeat that to yourself in the mirror. That way you have to lie to yourself and if you can still hold your head up, then all the power to you.

I will say this though, by 2005 xbox, if it gets a push, will be a head of PS2. No question about it.

Oh wait though, PS3 will be out by then.

jjmoohead
Aug 16th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Also I have had more trouble with this console than any of my others so far.

just to note Kraft, The system has also been out a lot longer. What problems are you having exactly. Is it something I heard of and is it something I can help you with. I have not heard of any major issues of the PS2, and it would be interesting to see what these "problems" are. Send me a private message if you like, I'm just curious to know why you have all these problems and I have had mine since release date and have yet to experience anything.
I'm sure I can help with the issue.

BowevelJoe
Aug 16th, 2002, 02:15 PM
Weird..only system i really heard having problems with is the Xbox, people tryed to play them in cramped spaces and they would basically overheat, and other such retarted things..havent heard much of PS2s skrewing up, although i had a friend with a PS2 that wouldnt play games without skipping unless he turned his system upside down O_o....dont ask me :laugh:

But yeah, Xbox doesnt have many GROUNDBREAKING titles except for Halo, i hope that it has changed the genre of FPS forever...it certainly upped the bar for console FPS's...

yeah, Ninja Gaiden basically has DOA graphics, which are already fricken impressive..it looks awsome...

KraftSLU
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Every ps2 system I have touched has had problems reading games. I got a brand new ps2 and it was already having trouble with games and dvd playback. Then the tray gears got stripped somehow and it refused to give me my metal gear disk back. Had to take it in to get the disk removed and trade the system in for a new one which also has dirty disk problems and is putting out a lot more heat than my xbox ever has. So far in the st. louis area of the country, people I know are having more trouble with the ps2. Though neither the ps2 or xbox fares nearly as well as GC. never heard of one of those with a problem.

Harry
Aug 16th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Every ps2 system I have touched has had problems reading games. I got a brand new ps2 and it was already having trouble with games and dvd playback. Then the tray gears got stripped somehow and it refused to give me my metal gear disk back. Had to take it in to get the disk removed and trade the system in for a new one which also has dirty disk problems and is putting out a lot more heat than my xbox ever has. So far in the st. louis area of the country, people I know are having more trouble with the ps2. Though neither the ps2 or xbox fares nearly as well as GC. never heard of one of those with a problem.

Man, there is no doubt that someone casted the evil eye on you or on your PS2s.... we have four systems in our office (2 NTSC First version, 2 PAL versions) and they never gave us any problem. And well, we play a lot with them...

Or maybe Bill Gates hired a vodoo doctor in the St.Luis area. Has your Ps2 ever tried to kill you? j/k :laugh:

jjmoohead
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:26 AM
its funny how the problems only happen to the xbox crazed individuals. I guess we all can't have good running machines like the one i got.

BowevelJoe
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:45 AM
hahaha, fo sho, the Xbox isnt exacly what its all cracked up to be, thats for sure...and as for the consoles these days..whatever happend to the friendly fighting between sega and nintendo, i miss that alot..they were acually working to be better, these days the fun factor seems to be the last thing on anyones minds. I mean damn, look at GTA, the extent they had to go to make a fun innovative game. I love GTA3 :D

KraftSLU
Aug 17th, 2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by jjmoohead
its funny how the problems only happen to the xbox crazed individuals. I guess we all can't have good running machines like the one i got.

Xbox crazed huh? *looks at his xbox. Then looks at his ps2. Then looks at his GC. Notes he has about the same number of games for each of them and plays them all* Yeah, someone who owns every system and plays them all is definately a fanboy of one of them.

Whoa, I'd better get back to a place I like to call 'reality'. Im not saying the box is perfect, I know people who have problems with it. But I know more who have problems with the ps2 at this point. Maybe it is different in other areas due to statistical anomalies, but as for things around here, most store owners I've talked to have verified that way more ps2s have problems than xboxs. But then again, there are a lot more ps2s than xboxs.

Truth be known, xboxs don't melt. Has your computer ever melted? didn't think so. Don't expect a box to do the same. Most problems I've ever had from it are dirty disk errors and some locked up games... but I have a sneaky suspicion that it is a software deal since it only happens on a few different games and not on the others.

Please realize Im not crazed, just trying to keep others minds open about the other consoles. When someone asks what system to buy I don't shout XBOX XBOX XBOX, I tell them to try stuff out and see what they like. I guess I just get sick of hearing people say stuff like "my friends cousins dogs brothers owners wifes bosses son's xbox exploded, killed four people, burned their house down, caused a global recession and started a war in europe!" and then other people running around believing stuff like that.

Harry
Aug 17th, 2002, 06:52 PM
KraftSLU I know that you like gaming in general and that you simply found the console that best fits your needs in the Xbox.

Most problems I've ever had from it are dirty disk errors and some locked up games... but I have a sneaky suspicion that it is a software deal since it only happens on a few different games and not on the others.

Yes, I think the same, and Morrowind - despite its greatness - is one of the most evident examples... Bethesda worked on the Xbox version like they worked on the PC one, also using the same testing procedures. They knew, on my opinion, that such a huge game would have had bugs, but while the PC version can be easily patched not the same can be done for the console version. Still, I prefer to play the game on the Xbox instead than on a PC, mainly for the great user interface and the excellent framerate.

jjmoohead
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:05 PM
I like aharry have noted the same thing over and over. I am totally into other consoles and enjoy waisting my day warping my mind. Its just that I have yet to hear anything about xbox or ps2 problems that everyone errrr you keep telling me about.

You tend to go from one post to another with different outlooks on systems. One post your telling me that PS2 is superior and the next you tell me how the systems are all good, just ps2 is not as good as the others.

Harry has more then given straight up facts about xbox and ps2 and you have shown me nothing that can testify your comments. Anyway this is not a console war, I just need facts and proof before Ill agree one way or another. Do that and Im sold.

KraftSLU
Aug 18th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Im sorry J, what exactly is it that you want me to do? scan my return reciept from best buy? Get signed testaments from the video game vendors? I mean, come on. BowevelJoe can say that his friend has to turn his ps2 upside down to get games to play and nobody jumped his case... I would say thats a pretty big ps2 defect, as I didn't see anything in my user manual that said "for optimal gameplaying performace please invert unit". As it turns out my ps2 made a nasty clickclickclickclick noise and didn't pop the tray out. I took it to best buy and they said the tray gear had stripped. Maybe if I am really nice they will give me my unit back to take apart and photograph so I can post pictures for you, J :sarcasm: While Im there I will get some signed testimonial from the returns people and maybe even get the signature notarized so it is admissable in a court of law.

And as for me changing my opinion, here is a post that lists all of them: http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2561

Or how about me sizing up the GC and PS2, seems I stuck with about the same opinions there also... http://www.ps2fantasy.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2510

And if you want clarifications on all my 'shifty opinions' feel free to ask me.

RobHardo
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by BowevelJoe

Xbox: The prettiest damn graphics of all consoles, but you know what? NO FUN FACTOR! The games look freaking beautiful, but then you play the games and your like what the hell? This is terrible! Only games worth mentioning is DOA3 and Halo, and maybe RalliSport Challenge, everything else is PURE CRAP.. just some things i have noticed :)

dude theother game to mention woul dbe Hunter the Reckoning, that game kicks the ass, and you also forgot agent under fire, but i kinda dont like that gam efor some odd reason.

jjmoohead
Aug 18th, 2002, 11:58 PM
Sorry for jumping on you man, you did however miss my point and took it the wrong way. Im not going to elaberate, im just going to drop it, that cool?

BowevelJoe
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Hunter had rough gameplay, and i dont know, perhaps it was just me and my slow reflexes, or perhaps it was the game, i would get crowded extremely easily, and killed quickly..i dunno, it just wasnt very fun to me.. ah well.. :P