PDA

View Full Version : M-vs-f

MakgSnake
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:54 AM
Well I Didn't Know Where To Post This Poll.....I Mean I Couldn't Do It In MGS Forums And Couldn't Do It In FF Forums Cause.....I Dunno.....I Am Sure U Know! One Is An Adventure Game And One Is An RPG

But Still........Which One Do U Think Is Better!.! Although I Know FFX Would Win In These Forums..!.. But Still.......Here Goes Nothing!.!

I Know Both Are Different Games But Still.....One Stands Out And Is Said To Be "The Game Of The Year"

BowevelJoe
Feb 4th, 2002, 07:53 AM
why didnt you just do a game of the year thread? their are alot more worthy games than just those 2, but id go with MGS2 because RPGs get boring and repetative to me, the battles just lose flavor after the first 9 FF's lol...

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 4th, 2002, 08:35 AM
Well anyways im going to respond to this one and say that mgs2 is the best and will remain the best for some time

007_JamesBond
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:21 PM
I have yet to play FFX but in my opinion MGS2 is the best game that I have ever played.

Soul Angel
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:29 PM
When I saw the title of this thread I thought you was putting up something about males against females if you get what I mean?

Well anyway I have to say FFX because I prefer RPGs but also I think the game lasts longer in itself :)

Spirit
Feb 4th, 2002, 12:39 PM
FFX was done much better than MGS2 and was in production for a much longer period of time, so I voted for FFX

x157anz
Feb 4th, 2002, 01:18 PM
i dont like FF so it has to be MGS2.
lol i thought i was male V female :P

MakgSnake
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by BowevelJoe
why didnt you just do a game of the year thread? their are alot more worthy games than just those 2
I Know There Are Many Other Games. But As U Have Noticed I Wanted To Know Which One U Guys Think Is Better From THESE Two...!...
And Game Of The Year Thread Has Been Up Alot Of Times!.!

jenova_jeb
Feb 4th, 2002, 02:55 PM
Definitely Final Fantasy X.

Mercury Shadow
Feb 4th, 2002, 03:55 PM
I went for MGS2... 4-4, wow! neck and neck. This is a good poll makg

x157anz, I thought it was male vs. female too! but then i thought, that doesn't sound like somethin makg would say! ha

Pu the Owl
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Sorry for FFX fans, but frankly I think MGS2 is a much more better game.
First of all I didn't like all the commercial purposes they put in FFX to please the average player. I mean, the gameplay in general is much more easy than the one of the preceding FF games, they deleted all the difficulties and made it very simple, if compared to other FFgames. Then they added lots of details, and not only details, clearly to get attention from a larger number of people.

MGS2 from my point of view is a more "alternative" game: lots of original ideas, an amazing gameplay, lots of possibilities for the player (more than in every other game ever) and a a story not made to easily please the player (and that's why many persons wrote me saying MGS2 is a bad game in their opinion, because it's too complicated and it's not what they expected: a sort of game with superheroes and stuff like that).

I'm sorry, because I love FF games and I admit FFX is a very well done one, but, I hope you're understanding what I'm saying, is not as good as many people say. Spectacular graphics? Well, they're surely not perfect, and they're very similar to the ones of other games (ex. GT3 and many others). Also I think graphics are not so important if the game is good. I mean, they're not the most important aspect. And lots of games released during 2001 have spectacular graphics, not only FFX (also MGS2 has very smooth graphics, even if they're obviously different because different is the genre and the setting of the game). Cool characters? Well, not as much as the ones of other FF games, IMO. And I repeat, they made this game much more easy than older FF games. Also the grid spheres system is a way to make things easier.
Replay value? Well, yes, but all RPGs are usually very long games.

While I think MGS2 is nearly a perfect game, I'd say it's a global game, where you follow a plot, but it's not the most important aspect, at least not the only one. You still have so many things you can discover, that I think it's a sort of miracle for a videogame.

I think MGS2 is the best game of the year 2001 and one of the best games ever. Surely one of my faves ever. FFX is not one of my faves ever.

You're free or not to accept my position, and I explained my reasons, more or less.

MakgSnake
Feb 4th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Someone Made Me Really Happy TODAY!.! Sorry I Had To Say That!.! :D

kamari-ice
Feb 4th, 2002, 06:09 PM
FFX, now its even.

Sleazy P Martini
Feb 4th, 2002, 06:31 PM
I'm going to go with FFX. More gameplay.

IcyMourdor
Feb 4th, 2002, 06:37 PM
This was a very hard choice to make. Both were very great games.

In the end, I said Final Fantasy X. The game delivered a lot then i was expecting and I love Rpgs a lot more than action games like MGS2.

Rei
Feb 4th, 2002, 06:55 PM
MGS2, no contest.
I liked it more than FFX.

Reid
Feb 4th, 2002, 07:44 PM
This was a tough choice because they're both awesome games, but I thought MGS2 was just better overall.

jenova_jeb
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Ummmm, Regina, just wondering about something. How does the Sphere Grid make it easier? I'd say it makes it harder. In the old games, all you had to do was fight, and you would level up automatically. In this, you actually had to choose which directions you wanted to go, and how you wanted your guys to grow. I always found myself choosing between different abilities, and pulling my hair out cause I wanted to go one way, but also needed that extra 200 HP in the other direction. Ya'know what I'm saying?

Pu the Owl
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:29 PM
I found it a lot easier. I still think FF8 junctions were much more complicated than Sphere Grid system to upgrade your character.
Now you just have to fight and earn spheres, while before you had to do at the same time lots of things to improve different aspects of the character.
Sorry, but I found it a lot easier.

jenova_jeb
Feb 4th, 2002, 09:55 PM
There's no need to apologize about anything.

I haven't played VIII, so I don't know much about the junction system. I did however think that the sphere grid was more difficult to grasp then IV, VII, or IX's systems. I'm picking up VIII either tomorrow, or the day after, so I'll be able to tell you if I think it's more difficult. :)

Reid
Feb 4th, 2002, 10:28 PM
It's true what Jenova_Jeb said about the Sphere Grid, but I agree that it wasn't nearly as complicated as FFVIII's junction system (damn thing made me have to restart my game on the third disc!).

Zelgadis
Feb 4th, 2002, 11:39 PM
ill go with MGS2 but GTA3 owns them all

Sleazy P Martini
Feb 4th, 2002, 11:55 PM
As much as I love Final Fantasy, I'll agree. GTA3 blows them all away. You should have put that in the poll.

Pu the Owl
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:11 AM
I can't agree on that too: GTA3 is a game you enjoy playing for many hours, but it lacks a REAL content, so I can't say it's a game I like very much.
It's like a movie you like to see several times because it's amusing, but then your personal experience gained nothing from something like that.
To me a content is a necessary aspect for a game, a movie, a Cd, a book or whatever. It's not only pure and useless entertainment.

Sleazy P Martini
Feb 5th, 2002, 12:23 AM
What's not to like about a 3D city, doing mob missions and stealing cars. fun, fun, fun :) I found MGS2 lacking in gameplay. Too many codec conversations. But that's just me.

MakgSnake
Feb 5th, 2002, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
I found MGS2 lacking in gameplay. Too many codec conversations.
Sleazy, I Am Not Being Rude Or Anything But I Think That Sentence Is Written Wrong!.! I Mean To Say........... U Can For Sure Say That MGS2 Has Many Codec Calls And Conversations, But U Cannot Say That It Lacks Gameplay. MGS2 Has The Most Amazing Gamplay Ever. I Am Not Saying Cause I Am A FAN But Saying Cause Of All The Possibilities U Can Do In The Game!.! U See.......Metal Gear Is A VideoGame But At The Same Time Its A "SAGA". I Hope U Understand That, And Because It Being A SAGA, Theres Alot Of Story To It. And To Unveil The Story, There Has To Be Codec Conversations And Story Telling. Imagine Going Against Bosses Without Knowing Their Past History. (Metal Gear Solid 2 Is About An Amazing Story Wrapped In A VideoGame!). Its Story Is Soo Deep And It Unfolds With The Help Of Spectacular Effects. With Such An Amazing Storyline Strapped Into An MindBlowing Gameplay Makes Me Think, Why Doesn't All The Other Developers Make Games Something Like This Or Atleast Learn Something From It!

And About The Gamplay, Its Just Too Amazing. The Amount Of Things U Can Do (That Is If U Have Tried). U See.....First Time When U Play The Game, U Will Try To Finish It (But Thats Not The Whole Point) Have U Even Tried Taking Those DOGTAGS, Tried Having Fun With The Digital Camera, Tried Messing Around With The CARBOARD Boxes?, Have U Tried All That Stuff!.! I Mean To Say....If U Really Try All That (And Theres Alot More Then That I Have Mentioned) I Think U'd Agree That The Depth Of GamePlay MGS2 Has, I Dont Think Any Game Has Ever Have!.!

Then Again, If U Loved And Knew (The Story And Life History) Of Solid Snake, Then U Wouldn't Have Mind Any Of Those Codec Conversation. Cause Seriously I First PLAYED The Game To Find Out The STORY Of This AMAZING SAGA!.! And After Finishing The Game, I Was Not Satisfied (I Wanted More Codec Calls More Cinematics To Reveal The Storyline And To Know More About Solid Snake's Life!.!)

I Think I Better Shut Up Now!.!

Neways As For GTA3 Not Being On This Poll....I Wanted FFX And MGS2 To Go Head To Head!-!

As For Now In VideoGames We ALL NEED Not Only A GOOD Amazing GAMEPLAY But An Even Better And Intriguing Storyline To Keep Us Asking For More (As In Stage By Stage!.!).

Sleazy P Martini
Feb 5th, 2002, 08:02 AM
As a matter of fact, holding up guards was one of the things I liked. I found the game pale compared to the first. I'm sorry Makg. The story just didn't grab me. He He you really take this to heart don't you?

BowevelJoe
Feb 5th, 2002, 08:15 AM
Bah Makg, that didnt make you mad? when you got into a movie scene and someone you thought you were going to fight runs away? it made me really mad, and i call that lacking in gameplay, i would rather play it out, i may get killed but its better than watching someone run away and i have no control over it...

Pu the Owl
Feb 5th, 2002, 02:36 PM
I totally agree woth Makg: MGS2 has a wonderful gameplay, and if you really like the story, you don't mind Codec conversations, because they're useful to explain important aspects of the plot. MGS2 plot is very complex and the idea of Codec conversations is useful for the player to understand what's going on.
Maybe we only like different typology of games.
There are the ones like me or Makg, who like cinematic games, with a plot and a deep and well developed content. Frankly I can't spend more than 30 minutes each day only playing an action game, even if it's very good. This kind of things are not so appealing to me.
But there are also others who prefer action and having fun, without thinking too much of other aspects.
I think that's all. A simple matter of taste.

MakgSnake
Feb 5th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by Fortune
A simple matter of taste.
Exactly, Its Matter Of Taste.....And In Other Words I'd Say... Matter Of Good Taste!.! hehehe.

And Sleazy, No Its Not Taking This To The Heart, Its Just About Defending The Most Amazing Game On PS2 To Date!.! (IMO) I Mean, The Mags Agree With Me, The Online Sites Agree With Me, Why Cant Some People!.!

But Then Again. Like I Said Before, Not Everyone Can Like "The Same" Thing.....Which Would Make This World A Boring Place Then!

And Like Fortune Said......People Like Us Really Like Games With Cinematics, StoryDepth, Deep Plot And Developed Content, Which In My Opinion Are The Main IMPORTANT Things In (Future Games, Ahead Of Us). I Mean To Say.... Games With All Those Aspects Will Be Made More Often, As They Really Make A Game Very Intresting And Wonderful!.!

I Know Gameply Is An Important Thing, Infact VERY Important. But Today's Games Need More Then Just GamePlay!

If U Want Just GAMEPLAY And Not Story....Try Atari26000 Games, It Has Just Gameplay And No Story At All!.!

And BowevelJoe......Yes It Made Me A Little Mad About Not Fighting Fortune.....But Thats Something Which Just Might Reveal In The Next Episodes (About What Happened) And All!.! Today's Game Needs More Patience Then Ever Before!.! And I Dont Mind That At All!

Cannibal Clown
Feb 5th, 2002, 05:08 PM
I have to say that MGS2 is best, only because I've never played FFX yet and I think that MGS2 is awesome.

Indrid Cold
Jun 12th, 2002, 10:22 PM
Metal Gear solid...