PDA

View Full Version : Just a thought

jjmoohead
Aug 13th, 2002, 04:15 PM
The xbox comes with a 8 Gig hard drive, and for $100 (or whatever the cost will be for the hardrive for ps2) I get a 40 Gig hard drive.

Now if Im not mistaken that is 5 times larger then the included xbox HD. So for $100 I will never have to by another memory card for as long as own my ps2 ( i Have 3 full already which cost about $100)

I am not trying to start anything here, I just don't understand why this magainze i have on Xbox gaming states that PS2 is trying suck the money out of the people by over charging for a HD.

Tell me this, if Xbox put in a 40 gig hard drive do you honestly feel the system would be the same price?

If my facts are off let me know, I got this information directly from Xbox magazine.

KraftSLU
Aug 13th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Well, just a guess but I could venture that they said that because you can get a 40 gig HD for your computer for 50-60 bucks, which means sony can get them for cheaper and sell them for cheaper (which they should).

Personally I find it kinda funny that they are bothering with 40 gigs. I have yet to scratch 10 gigs with tons of music saved, tons of saved games and everything else on my box. Im hard pressed to fill up 40 gigs on my computer without either first running out of stuff I would want on my computer or the HD becoming so incredibly fragmented that it is worth it to start over and just format.

I really don't see how much good at all could come out of this PS2 HD... It just feels like sony is pushing something out and saying 'bigger is better!!!' But when everyone is barely using 5 gigs of HD space Im betting they are going to wish sony released a 10 gig HD for much cheaper...

Spank-A-Thon
Aug 13th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jjmoohead
<snip>
Now if Im not mistaken that is 5 times larger then the included xbox HD. So for $100 I will never have to by another memory card for as long as own my ps2 ( i Have 3 full already which cost about $100)
<snip>That is of course assuming that SONY (and the game developers I guess) provide the ability to either save to the HD, or transfer Mem Card contents to the HD...

As for the second question, is 40GB too big - it's hard to say at the moment. Until SONY release detailed plans of what PS2 on-line can offer I don't think anyone can comment on the HD being too big.

For all we know, some company may enable the entire game to be installed to the HD. Assuming this is a DVD that is filled to capacity, we are talking 4.7GB. 8 games later, that HD is filled - so now tell me that 40GB is too big...

Hell, I've got 60GB capacity on my PC and I only have about 5GB left spare... As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much HD space!

And anyway, $100 is nothing. It like what, £75... That's absolute bobbins - I can spend that on a night out on the lash...

- S

KraftSLU
Aug 13th, 2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Spank-A-Thon

Hell, I've got 60GB capacity on my PC and I only have about 5GB left spare... As far as I'm concerned, you can never have too much HD space!
- S

Yeah, I can use that kind of space on a computer also, but I use my computer for a little more than gaming. Gaming, office work, music/video storage, online stuff, etc. etc. If all I would be using a HD for is saving games and pulling music from CDs... 40 gigs is a whooole lot.

Though if Sony does with every game what they are doing with FFXI, there might be a problem. FFXI requires that you install the ENTIRE game to the HD. The whole process takes about 3 hours just to get to the point of starting to play the game. Im not a big fan of loading times and 3 hours bites hard. Now, I have HDs that I put through a workout, installing huge games, taking them off, etc. and everytime you add or take away something it junks up the drive with leftover trash data and scatters the data that you do use. This will lead to an eventual slowdown of data access since the needles have to move more, and since the needles move more your HD is going to wear out a lot quicker than usual. The two choices that leaves you is to use a hard drive that is most likely not going to age very well, or Sony will have to release defragmentation and disk doctor programs... which is something that I don't want to ever have to bother doing to my game console in my living room.

jjmoohead
Aug 14th, 2002, 01:52 AM
ok i was just trying to get some opinions on the matter. I didnt realize the HD was that big and just to note, no matter what size the HD is, they all need a disk doctor of some kind eventually, I am sure that has already been thought of for PS2 and XBOX (yes it will need it too)

Anyway I was not trying to start a console war again I was just trying to get my facts straight.

jjmoohead
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:52 PM
Yeah I was actually wondering where I would ask the post but I figured just putting it in PS2 questions would get biased responces. I was looking for an xbox opinion on the matter, but in turn got the ones better cause speach....its cool though, it was my fault.

Thanks for the help from the people that did.

KraftSLU
Aug 14th, 2002, 05:51 PM
Im not saying xbox is better, Im just saying sony may have overlooked obvious quality issues in favor of a marketing ploy. yeah, the 8 gig hard drive will eventually degrade on the xbox, but probably not for well past 5 years since you wont be copying entire games on the hd and fragmenting it. By the time the harddrive craps out it will be time for a new system anyways. I just seriously hope for everyone that buys this sony hard drive that it doesn't degrade as fast as a normal computer's hd would from the same use.

More power to you if you do get one, hope it works out as having a hard drive has saved me a lot of pain from needing to buy expensive mem. cards for my xbox. Kinda wish my gamecube had a hd too now.

jjmoohead
Aug 14th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Why are you so biased toward the PS2?

I know you think the Xbox is amazing but how much direct evidence do we need to show you to point out that the system is not all that much better, YET!

How many games have been reported to require complete game download to your harddrive. I heard FFXI will have something but i don't even know. What makes you think that all these games need this and that the hard drive will crash. Did anyone make a report on this? Is there a press release stating this?

Your telling me at no time Xbox will require the same thing? I guess this means they are not going to make games in comparision to FFXI then?

Once agan Kraft you have managed to point fingers at problems and have nothing to back it up. Please start refrencing your posts if your going to keep this going.

THANKS,

JJ

PS2Fanatasy's favourite moderator

Spank-A-Thon
Aug 14th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by KraftSLU
Im not saying xbox is better, Im just saying sony may have overlooked obvious quality issues in favor of a marketing ploy. yeah, the 8 gig hard drive will eventually degrade on the xbox, but probably not for well past 5 years since you wont be copying entire games on the hd and fragmenting it.With regards to the X-Box, it's highly unlikely the drive will need defragging. The X-Box OS is based on Win 2k, and Win 2K (and XP too) automatically defrags your drive during normal disc access - that's one of the great things about NTFS (which Win2K uses) over FAT 32.

Now the PS2 is based on Linux, which also does not suffer from the same frag problems that Win 98 suffered from.

To summarise, by virtue of the OS's both PS2 and X-Box use, fragmentation of the HD is really a non-issue.

- S

Infernal Mass
Aug 15th, 2002, 03:49 PM
40 gig hard drive..It would be a great piece of mind to know i won't have to worry about memory shortages. I own 14 games and 1 card for the ps2 as of now, and am constantly deleting saves i wish i could keep. Sports game for the ps2 take up an ass load of space as well...any sports game fan could save tons of info on that muthaphuka!