PDA

View Full Version : Doujinshis

Hylas
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:59 AM
I was wondering:

are doujinshis 100% legal and authorized by the original authors?
I find strange to believe that the original artists authorize fans to create manga based on their stories and then they can make money selling them. But the thing I find difficult to understand is why they don't have so many rights to stop also famous stores that sell them and earn money using their stories in a way they don't like. Aren't their works copyrighted? Can anyone use them to make money? Maybe it's just that I'm not into this business, but aren't the original mangakas pissed seeing many horrible stories, some of them are also hentai, spread around and created using their characters? Some dujinshis are neither created following the original spirit of the series they're from... I think this can be considered exploitation of others work and ideas. And the publishers? What about them? And other fans who buy this stuff? Why they buy all this not original stuff?

merylsilverburg
Aug 7th, 2002, 02:20 AM
Though I don't know the real reason, I think the mangakas are actually flattered when groups or "circles" make their own stories based on the characters. The reason being, is because: since the original manga is so insanely popular, many people want to create their own stories based off the characters to pay homage to the mangaka. So, that's a form of flattery and the artists don't mind. Yes, there are some very horrible doujinshis, but the circles or group of artists put their heart into making it because they enjoyed it so much, so it sells. Another reason why it sells is because doujinshis are a way to see the impossible. For example:
- To see the characters in new situations and events
- To see two characters whom you wish would end up together, but they don't, end up together
- To create hentai
And while these may be bad reasons (though they are the main ones) doujinshis are very popular because of it. The original mangakas don't mind hentai situations using their characters, since hentai is very common and normal. Doujinshis are harmless because it's only group of fans who wants to pay homage. There is not going to be anyone who will try to rip off the original drawings, since the doujinshis and the original have very different drawing styles. Everyone knows the difference between the real thing and the fake one, so even if one of the "circles" try to claim it as their own, it's not going to work. Another thing: I believe that even some of the mangakas make their own doujinshis off their own characters. For some reasons: a lot of fans complain of no sexual situations in the original, so the mangakas decide to make doujinshis to satisfy their fans.

I personally don't think doujinshis are bad at all. Actually, I would've like to purchase some myself, especially on Cardcaptor Sakura because *SPOILERS* I really wanted Sakura and Yukito to end up together, but since he's in love with her bro.....:heh:. I think there may be some non-hentai doujinshis on Sakura and Yukito, but I haven't checked. I hope my explaination answers some of your question, Hylas. :)

Hylas
Aug 7th, 2002, 11:43 AM
hmmmok... as I said, I'm not into this kid of stuff, so I was just looking for some explanations. I don't know what's so good in seeing impossible things happening in this kind of stories. I mean: you love a series as it is, and then you want impossible things to happen? Like new couples or stuff like that? If it's not in the true spirit of the story, why do you like to read it? Just for curiosity? :confused:

merylsilverburg
Aug 8th, 2002, 04:02 AM
Well, many people enjoy the series as it is, but for some people, they enjoy it, but they want more. Doujinshis are just like fantasy coming true....things you wish can happen in a series become a reality when you make it. There are some very bad doujinshis but there are a lot of good ones that do actually follow the style of the original. The only thing is, it's a different drawing and story. Even if it's not as good, it's just interesting to read what other fans of the series would've done if it was their own. So, doujinshis are just a way to do that. It's hard to explain and put it in words.....maybe someone else here can explain it more clearly, but personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

Ruby Moon
Aug 8th, 2002, 10:30 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong if people like them. I don't like them very much, but if fans like them, it's good that they can buy this stuff. Too bad that non-japanese speaking fans can't read them.