PDA

View Full Version : Playing two sided DVD's on the PS2

Frozen
Aug 3rd, 2002, 12:37 PM
OK, I got a problem I haven't heard around these threads.

I got some weeks ago the Spawn collection with 3 seasons, in DVD. I was so happy when I got it, and then I just went straight to my PS 2 to watch them.....

And well, the story is always the same: It plays them, but, with a lot of trouble with the image. I can listen the sound perfectly with no problems at all. But as for the display, it's a complete mess. Some times the screen turns completely blue, and some times the brightness goes completely down, and then the brightness gets normal. And then it becomes blue again, and repeats the stupuis cylce (and have in mind that the sound always remains the same with no problem)

Now, I know that it has got absolutely nothing to do with my TV, as for I also own the Rurouni Kenshin OAV's in DVD, and they play absolutely perfect.

It's just with my Spawn DVD's. But it's confusing, because, when I play them in my PC, they play perfectly as well (although I have to use a diferent software from Windows Media Player, bbut it does not play any DVD's for me either)

So, I really don't know where is the problem, if it is in my PS 2, if it's in the DVD's or what. I must say again that these are DVD's which use their 2 sides. That's the only thing that makes me think it could be the problem.

As for the zone, or region, whatever it's called, both my Spawn DVD's and Rurouni Kenshin DVD's are # 1. So I do not think that the problem remains there.

I have also tried turning Diagnosis on. But it's the same.

Well, any suggestions guys? Or am I just doomed and got to buy a DVD player to be able to watch my Spawn DVD's on TV? :mad:

Frozen
Aug 4th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Awsome, no reponses :mad:

Uchiha Sasuke
Aug 4th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Well i never had a proble with a 2 sided dvd frozen.But it sounds like it could almost be a conflict with the drivers on your ps2 at the moment.Maybe you should buy the remote with the new drivers and try it then i heard sometimes that cures the problem.

Harry
Aug 4th, 2002, 06:41 PM
SSSnake gave you the best suggestion. There should be no problem playing double layered DVDs on your system. The new drivers could fix the problem... but that's not 100% sure. You should try contacting SCEA support service or the publisher of the DVD for more information.

Frozen
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:46 AM
Oh, thanks a lot for the concern guys. However, (and I feel stupid asking this) but how exactly does the lack of a controller affect the DVD playback? After I saw your answers I went to check out the driver thing, and well, my PS2 is a recent model (SCPH-30001) so the drivers should be the newer ones......

I guess I'll have to contact SCEA then. Hope the call isn't charged too high :heh:

Thanks anyways guys :)

EDIT: After reading some stuff on the net, I definitely didn't find any answer to my problem, except this: some DVD's have a stupid feature so they can not be copied to VCR. As I read that, I just remembered that I got my PS2 hooked up to the VCR so I can both watch TV and play games without having to mess with the connections (a big TV annoying to move)

So I just tried and connected the PS2 directly to the TV. And there it was, the DVD's worked fine. But, I don't freaking care about that, come on, if I got them on DVD what the hell do I want to put them on VCR. Now I got to mess with the connections every time I want to watch them :disturb:

Thanks for the attention guys! XD

jjmoohead
Aug 5th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Its a good thIng that I read all of IT before PostIng I was goIng to state that you cant play through VCR :)

Sid554
Aug 5th, 2002, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Frozen
So I just tried and connected the PS2 directly to the TV. And there it was, the DVD's worked fine. But, I don't freaking care about that, come on, if I got them on DVD what the hell do I want to put them on VCR.

Yeah, why would somebody make VHS copies from DVD movies if they have a DVD player? Sort of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

Frozen
Aug 6th, 2002, 02:53 AM
Well, but I have, for example, the Rurouni Kesnshin DVD's and they play allright with the PS 2 connected to the VCR. And indeed, they kill the purpose of copying it to VCR, but I just think it's an annoying stupid feature, as I said, what the hell do I need to copy them to VCR *sigh*

Now another question comes to my mind... is the DVD remote worth buying? Is it real real good, or, just a fancy accesory...?

jjmoohead
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:32 AM
To me there is no nead for it, The controller works just fine. I guess if you had a few extra bucks sitting around you could get it.

Its nice to have if the area your ps2 is in has heavy traffic (lots of people going through it) because the controller cord could be stepped on or hooked and then your ps2 can be sent flying, but other then that, don't bother.

plane
Aug 12th, 2002, 07:34 PM
I am not sure two side doubled DVD movies(DVD9 industry format) but I am sure the PS2 DVD-ROM support it because there is one DVD9 format PS2 game now. If you having problem to watch DVD9 format movies, I think it's the PS2 DVD driver problem.

ToxicUK
Jan 6th, 2003, 05:33 PM
All DVD players have the built in anti-copy chip or part which can be removed but the reason you cant play em through a vcr is that people could buy a dvd movie and then pirate it many times and make a kind of illegal buisness out of it. However it defeats the object because you can just do vcr to vcr.