PDA

View Full Version : As told by Solid: Snake my review of War Craft 3

RobHardo
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:31 AM
I got this game Jul 18, and I was playing all night last night and this game rocks the boat, the graphics are a bit edgy and the online play is kin do fslow but thats probably just because the game is new, and there have been two new races introduced in the new War Craft The night elves and Undead, to add to the war with the Humans and the cute ole' Orcs. I haven't tried a campaign yet i have mostly done Online Game play so when i get into the campaigns I will add to this thread on it, so all in all War Craft 3 gets 3 3/4 out of 5 Solid Snake Stars

RobHardo
Jul 20th, 2002, 10:59 AM
The Campaign looks great, but i have to use it on my fathers computer, because somethigns wrong with my direct x driver an di am jst gunn await till i get my dell to play it any where else, the graphics are awesome in the cut scenes i felt like i was in star craft but cooler

Vicious_2003
Jul 20th, 2002, 11:26 PM
I bought WC III yesterday and installed it after installing direct X. It worked fine but when I got to the loading screen for a single player campaign it got about 74% finished and just stopped , I waited about 5 full minutes and it still hadnt finished. Ive played Galactic Battle gounds, and star craft without problems , wonder why this one wont work ?

Killuminati
Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:23 AM
make sure that u have updated Drivers for your Video Card.

if u have a NVidia card go to there site. www.nvidia.com
im orderin this game today i think...good times :)

Uchiha Sasuke
Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:31 AM
What are the system requirements to get the very best outta the game.Cause if i get it i want it to look as good as possible.

BlackThornn
Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:46 AM
Well, I posted this before but it kinda got lost in the shuffle of Gen. Chat.. maybe it'll do some good here.

I got the collectors ed. when it came out.. and have pretty much been playing since then. I must say this game even surpasses my expectations. And they were quite high.

Graphics- The Graphics on this game are outstanding.. once ya up the resolution a bit. 640x480x16 looks okay, but things are a bit jaggy. The cinematics are just absolutely unbelievable. Ten times better than even the Diablo II: LoD cine's, and even better than the FMV's from Final Fantasy X. (Come on.. There is NO way that Mr. Highlights surfing down a steel cable can beat huge armies of humans and orcs clashing in the subtle rolls of the Lordaeron hillsides)

Gameplay- Balanced, Simple, Addictive. At first I was a bit perterbed at the whole idea of "Upkeep" (a percentage cost detracted from your gold as your army gets larger and harder to feed), but it actually balances out the game quite well. Though I believe there should be an option to turn it off in single player, as it seems a tad out of place. Besides Upkeep though, the only other changes are creeps (neutral units that populate the map in small groups.. a nice little touch) and heroes.. which are.. just wow. *chuckles* At level 1-3 they don't really do very much.. I mean, they help, but they aren't gamebreakers. But once you get past that, and rack up a couple of items (you get items by fighting creeps), then your hero will just saunter about the battlefield laying waste to all before him, quite literally. I've used a level 8 Paladin (human hero) to single handedly obliterate an Undead camp.. and he had half of his life still intact at the end of the battle.

Plot- I have now played the entirety of the single player campaign and I must say that save for Starcraft's Epic and unique storyline this is the BEST story arc in any RTS game.. and one of the better ones for ANY game, period. I can't wait to see what they do with the expansion pack. :cool:

Sound- The Sound quality is great.. even coming from just the speakers inside my monitor (no real bass capability, no real depth) it seems downright lifelike. Hovering over a battle the din of it seems varied and realistic, like watching Braveheart or somethin'. Voice Acting for the main characters so far is wonderful.. I swear they just pulled an absolute badass off the street to voice Thrall (Orc Warchief). He sounds like he could knock ya out by a sideways glance. Some of the bit voices seem a little overly cartoony though, take the footman for instance. Not nearly as good (or funny) as the Warcraft II guy. The lines that occur if you click on the unit too many times are just as funny though. Take the orc grunt.. after a few pokes, he pipes up with "Me so horn-ed, me hurt you long time." And that's one of the less funny ones. :D

Overall- If you have a computer that can handle it, I suggest you go out and get this game. Really. If you like Starcraft, Warcraft, or any fantasy environment or RTS in general, it's practically garaunteed you will love this. It's just so well done.

My prediction: Game of the Year. Most definitely.