PDA

View Full Version : RPG setting

Ruby Moon
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Do you like more the medieval kind of setting (like in many traditional and classic RPGs) or the sci-fi, cyber-punk, or modern setting?

Sword 4 Hire
Jul 17th, 2002, 06:54 PM
Medievil def! All those dragons and knights are what do it

RobHardo
Jul 17th, 2002, 07:42 PM
i like either its all cool with me

Gadzoox
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:10 PM
I personally prefer Medieval, I'm a dragon fan... as long as the point isn't to kill the dragons... then that would not be good. Unless they are evil dragons, then I don't mind as much. Then End. :laugh:

Pu the Owl
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:23 AM
If the game is good, the setting doesn't really matter, I think...
I may be wrong though, but I don't have a preference. There are also RPGs that mix the two typologies of settings and they're still good ones.

IcyMourdor
Jul 18th, 2002, 01:57 PM
I'm into all that medieval-celtic stuff. Plus, I've used dragons as a symbol for me for intelligence and power.

So, I'm saying medieval.

Hadoken
Jul 18th, 2002, 02:05 PM
i dont exactly like the medievil settings. kinda depends though. medievil as in gloomy with ghosts and goblins?or medievil as in like what FFXI is gonna be like?
i guess it doesnt really matter, as long as it plays well.
but i like a mix of pretty much everything. like in some of the FF games. u got your quiet villlages, your castles, your high tech cities, and other stuff rolled into one game.

kupoartist
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:39 PM
I'll play anything ^_^, but I'd say that "steam punk" always seems to go down well. Think FF6: a world that is just creating electical style robots and stuff, but is still heavily industrial and relying on low-tech for high-tech requireing stuff. And then you throw in a little bit of magic...

Macceh^
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:53 PM
I'll play anything ^_^, but I'd say that "steam punk" always seems to go down well. Think FF6: a world that is just creating electical style robots and stuff, but is still heavily industrial and relying on low-tech for high-tech requireing stuff. And then you throw in a little bit of magic...

Aye I agrea with Artist on this one. There all heading that way nowadays. Lets take FF9 as an example its obvious the setting was medieval but to me it started to lose itself towards the end and for me this really downgraded this particular ff for me.

DragonSphere
Jul 25th, 2002, 01:19 PM
I choose medieval because these kind of environments usually have a more "fantasy" theme to them; which is one of the aspects I look for in an RPG. But if the story is exceptional and calls for a sci-fi type setting, then that would be good too.

Dirty_harry
Jul 26th, 2002, 09:01 PM
c'mon people not just medieval rpg's r good. do u member Deus Ex it was sci fi future like rpg and it kicked butt

Soul Angel
Jul 27th, 2002, 12:07 PM
I don't really mind what type of setting an rpg has really. As long as the story is good, that all what matters to me really.
So I guess I like pretty much all rpg settings :happy:

JC Denton
Jul 29th, 2002, 03:56 PM
personnally i dont like rpgs set in the future that much except-dues ex and final fantasy.
So i would say medieviel is best, not neccerealy the medievil we all know, but a time before modern ideas a weaponry were around, plus its sort of nicer to look at trees and castles when your playing rather than industrial buildings. I must say though both can work, and you do get different types of games from them. It would be bad if all were set in medievil though because it would be like playing the same game over and over again at least with futuristic you can be a little more original, so they both have there place, as long as the game is well difined and fits its setting and isn't a miss match of ideas.