PDA

View Full Version : Do you like bright spots in RPGs?

Rei
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:55 PM
Do you prefer when in RPGs there's some humor or do you prefer more an epic, gloomy atmosphere not broken by any kind of bright, hilarious moment?

RobHardo
Jul 8th, 2002, 10:07 PM
either is alright with me if they were all the same it would be boring.

Gadzoox
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:26 AM
I prefer to have a bit of humour tossed into my RPGs. It makes the characters more real, because most of us have /some/ sense or humour!
I laugh at anything though... heehee

RobHardo
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:40 AM
exactly if it were all serious that would be crazy

Sword 4 Hire
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:01 PM
I like em serious...but sometimes it gets TOO serious so I like a lil joke thrown in there every now in then...but not to the point where it gets ridiculous

happy_doughnut
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:03 PM
I don't think there is much of a choice there. Since most ( heck, almost every single one ) has some type of humorous activity in them, there really isn't much left to dispute.

However, if I really did have a choice, I would definitely go for the ' gloomy ' type of RPGs. I don't know why... but when I see a ' sad ' enviroment ( like the one in Fatal Frame ) , I find it to be more captivating, at least for me. I think it'd be cool to see an RPG with nothing but sadistic type of events. You know... blood and gore. Yeah ! Walking around... killing mercilessly, not smiles whatsoever. Oh yeah, that'd be the day :D . Of course, some people say I'M the one who's sadistic O.O' They lie ! :laugh:

Gadzoox
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:34 PM
Yeah, that's true too... it would majorly take away from the atmosphere. I suppose it depends on the genre of the game. Yes, thaat's it. The 'genre'. I feel smart. :roll:

Pu the Owl
Jul 10th, 2002, 12:46 AM
I don't think a gloomy atmosphere for an entire RPG would be a good idea. Mena mentioned Fatal Frame. Yes, the atmosphere of that game is amazing and we don't need humor or bright moments in a game like that one. But Fatal Frame is a Survival Horror, not a RPG. This means the genre itself requires that atmosphere and also that survival horror games are much shorter than an average RPG. Who could bear a 50+ hours RPG all based on that atmosphere, from the first minute to the last? No way! That would be annoying and repetitive!
RPGs need a certain variety to keep the player interested.

IcyMourdor
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:21 AM
You need a little comedy in anything you do. Rpgs are great for it. They put a little comedy in the down times, but keep it serious while your party makes their final run to save the princess from the blood-thirsty dragon.

As Fortune said, it would just be repetitive. Grant you, some people find Rpgs boring anyways due to the fact of some of the battle systems. Comedy just helps people get more into the game and have more fun with it.

Gadzoox
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:11 PM
Awww...those poor blood-thirsty dragons...they are always getting the blame!

Hmm.... good points too... ahh i can be so gullable (Sp?) sometimes!

Hylas
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:19 PM
Some funny moments are good. Otherwise it would be annoying. But when they funny moments are the greatest part of the game, well, I don't like it. There must be a balance between serious and funny atmosphere.

Hadoken
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:48 AM
I like the "bright spots" in RPG's, cant really stand being in the gloomy ones for too long. it might sound corny, but i like the happy, cheerful music and bright, colorful enviroments. :happy:
but off course, i always like having the kick azz parts where the characters are just giving the enemy a bashing. even if it means having some gloominess in it.

kupoartist
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:27 PM
I'd enjoy an RPG whatever it had in it, but Dark RPGs do have an appeal... Even then though, everyone i've played has had some kind of humor in it, but at least its well done and deeply ironic...

(not going to let myself go through this post with out saying: System Shock 2 :happy: )

Mercury Shadow
Jul 13th, 2002, 12:48 PM
as long as it's not stupid humor that got translated weird from Japanese to English... it's a nice change of pace from the seriousness.