PDA

View Full Version : EtherNet & PS2 online

Mercury Shadow
Jan 31st, 2002, 06:40 AM
I've been hearing a lot about how ps2 is going online and am very excited about it. Playing someone from half way across the world? awesome! So I was wondering, what do you auctually need to play online? Do you need a computer right next to your ps2? That would be a problem for me, no computer in my room. I also heard something about it using ethernet... ? thanks

Spank-A-Thon
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:40 AM
At the moment you can play on-line only with Tony Hawks Proskater 3. You can use a USB modem/ethernet adapator and use your existing dial-up to connect to Activision's dedicated THPS3 server.

However, the Hard Drive add-on that has been released in Japan will be the usual method for on-line shenanigans in future. The Hard Drive itself is a fairly large 40GB. It also features a built-in Ethernet port. I assume there would also be some kind of narrowband connector for standard 56K modems.

The Ethernet port means that theoretically you could have multiplayer games running over a LAN. But at no point will you need a PC to run a PS2 on-line. In my case I would simply remove the Ethernet cable from my PC and plug it into my PS2 instead and use my existing internet account.

All you'll need to get running (besides the HDD unit) is some kind of narrow/broadband internet account and bob's your uncle. You're away.

Hope this answers your question.

- S

Neo_Soldier28
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:53 AM
i cant wait but right now i don't have n e online games for the ps2 :mad:

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:51 AM
Hopefully the modem will incorprate dsl,that would be so awesome

kamari-ice
Feb 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Well there is going to be games that are on the ps2, transformed to be on the computer.
And it will have the same grphics, I have no idea.

nanjij
Feb 17th, 2002, 08:21 AM
i dont want to get u americans excited but THE ADAPTOR IS OUT IN 3 DAYS im not sure about uk

Mercury Shadow
Feb 17th, 2002, 12:34 PM
PS2 online will cost a bundle to have... getting a modom, and monthly fees. Hopefully it'll go down in cost once it ages.