PDA

View Full Version : All time best RPG for PS2

Gadzoox
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:15 PM
As some of you may know, I will be aquiring my first PS2 on June 24th of this year. I would like to get all your opinions on which game is the 'all time best RPG' that I should seriously consider getting as my 'awesome first PS2 game'.

Beretta55
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:56 PM
well you could try to get final fantasy 10 and thats all i can think of.

DragonSphere
Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:22 AM
My answer would be the same: FFX. But other games like Dark Cloud and the Evergrace/Forever Kingdom series are pretty good in their own way too.

Gadzoox
Jun 22nd, 2002, 01:03 PM
Excellent, thank you.

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:19 PM
There aren't too many good RPG's for PS2...the only one I really liked was FFX...but wait awhile and Xenosaga and Legaia: Duel Saga will come out...and those look good

Gadzoox
Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:20 PM
Will do.

IcyMourdor
Jun 23rd, 2002, 10:15 AM
As some good ones are already given, I'll give ones that I think should be avoided.

Eternal Ring- a first-person RPG all in real-time. The story is weak and is hard to find where to go next at some points.

Dark Cloud- This one is alright, but can get boring really REALLY fast. Always having to leave to buy powder so your faviorite weapon doesn't break. The bosses are too far inbetween. The story is a little weak. I still play it when I have nothing else to do though.

Gadzoox
Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:20 PM
Hmm... thanks for the help! I was going to get Dark Cloud too... now i wont, unless of course, I get bored. ;)

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:30 PM
Dark Cloud=Most repetetive RPG to date

Ice Cold
Jun 23rd, 2002, 08:05 PM
Is FFx close to the FFx demo?

Mercury Shadow
Jun 24th, 2002, 10:33 PM
Gadzoox, do yourself a favor and never buy Dark Cloud. It's a terrible rip off Zelda game that irritates Zelda fans worldwide. But Dark Cloud 2 looks a whole lot better, and looks like it's going in it's own path. The art looks nice.

Gadzoox
Jun 28th, 2002, 01:26 PM
Alright, thanks muchly for the warning!

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Yeah I agree...Dark Cloud 2 does look awesome...it's being cel-shaded right?

Infernal Mass
Jun 28th, 2002, 09:18 PM
yeah here's some pics

http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_03.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_00.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_04.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_05.jpg

Macceh^
Jun 29th, 2002, 02:29 AM
dark cloud is the same all the way thru but with a change of scene so ff10 id say atm is the rpg to buy. Dark Cloud 2 looks good judging by those pics.

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 29th, 2002, 03:08 PM
Those pics look awesome Kabuki!

BTW: Some other RPG's to look forward to for the PS2 this year would be, Grandia Xtreme, Breath of Fire V, Suikoden III, Star Ocean 3, and Wild Arms 3...wow a lot of sequals but I'm hyped about em!

And hell if none of those sound appealing make your own RPG with RPG Maker 2 commin out later this year.

RobHardo
Jul 1st, 2002, 10:19 AM
I know it would become a lost cause to try for but i would like the zelda series to come to ps2 but that will never happen so i will have to buy a homosexual gamecube just to play my favorite rpg

Gadzoox
Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:50 AM
<---(Cheapo)
*Will wait until FF10's price goes down a little.*

I'll be sure to check out those affore-mentioned games as well. Thanks!

Yeah, Zelda games on PS2 would kick serious arse... too bad these companies don't just merge and make everyone happy. I suppose that would cause a problem /somewhere/ though..

thenagan81
Jul 11th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Well For God sake FF10 is easy the best but other choices would be like Dark Cloud and Shadow Of Dastiny just depends;)

gamedork
Jul 22nd, 2002, 06:35 AM
Give Shadow Hearts a go.

Macceh^
Jul 25th, 2002, 03:18 AM
You cant really say "all time" as well theres not been many RPG'S out for ps2 yet :)

happy_doughnut
Jul 25th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Well, yeah. At the moment there aren't that many -good- RPGs out for the ps2. So, meh, I guess FFX is the best as of now.

But as S4H mentioned, there is a good line-up for RPGs coming out. I'm really looking forward to Wild Arms 3 and SO 3.
So keep your eyes open for new upcoming -and hopefully good- RPGs, Gad.

Gadzoox
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Macceh^
You cant really say "all time" as well theres not been many RPG'S out for ps2 yet :)

True true...maybe I was tired... tired or listening to David Bowie. :laugh:

lowdru2k2
Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:38 PM
Dang PS2 has been out for awhile to not be very many RPG's. Yeah I gotta say FFX is the best, but I liked FF7-9 better. Dark Cloud was a alright game I rented it once. I can't wait to check out FFXI and Everquest.

mer1in20
Aug 24th, 2002, 06:21 AM
Dark Cloud sucks
eternal ring sucks
the only rpg's worth getting for the ps2 and any from the ps1 (ff7, star ocean, wild arms, ff8, ff9) etc. I would definitely pick up FFX.

Frozen
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by DigiMortal
yeah here's some pics

http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_03.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_00.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_04.jpg
http://www.level5.co.jp/dc2/gamen_j/dc2_05.jpg

Damn, that is how Zelda for GC should llook like! But no! It looks like s*** !!!! :mad:

I also recommend FFX. Not because everybody else says the same thing, but because the game is indeed a masterpiece IMO. Everything in it is good, from graphics and gameplay to storyline and plot. However, these last 2 are weaker than previous versions like FF7 or 8. NOt as weak as FF9, tho. (although I liked much more FF IX's ending than X's)

By the way, I wish they made a Breath of Fire 5 for Ps2...... it would look absolutely gorgeous with some good cel shaded graphics. But not like that horrible style Zelda for GC has got, may I make clear.

mysterio4gcc
Sep 16th, 2002, 09:56 PM
FFX to date is the best RPG for the PS2, but and I mean but my prediction for the best RPG for the PS2 is Suikoden III! I played 2 and that was amazing. Also don't forget .hack, kingdom hearts, legaia dual saga, and FFXII!

macario
Sep 19th, 2002, 01:50 PM
kingdom hearts
kingdom hearts
kingdom hearts

Gadzoox
Sep 22nd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Wow... this thread is still going?! haha

I'm afraid of Kingdom Hearts.

I bought Dark Cloud because I had a $10 off coupon and it's alright. I like the idea of building towns, but the dungeons are //extremely// repetative!!! SERENITY NOW! :sick:
I'm glad I didn't pay full price. Though I will probably end up buying Dark Cloud 2 anyway if its cheap... I like to waste money... except when its $80!!!

Darkness 4 Hire
Sep 27th, 2002, 09:36 AM
It goes kingdom hearts, then FFX! Kingdom Hearts was way to much fun. So it beat out FFX, in my eyes. But the darkness predicts that Suikoden 3 is going to ripp through us with complete awesomeness!Only Time will tell!

blindman
Jul 20th, 2003, 04:58 PM
y...ea. KH wasnt my type of game, only if it wasnt for them disney characters.

jmills726
Aug 21st, 2003, 10:41 AM
i think that ffx is tied with kh.......they are both great games and i cant wait for both sequals to come out.
kh was put together so nicely and a final fantasy game is just a final fantasy game. it is awsome.

XXAVIERR
Aug 21st, 2003, 03:38 PM
I see everyone saying that FFX is the bet RPG for the PS2. Does anyone have any suggestions on a RPG that is anywhere close to as good as it was.

ssjtrunks13
Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:47 AM
Grandia Xtreme and Grandia 2! I'm a fan of the series like I am Final Fantasy, so my opinion might be biased to a certain extent. I'm not sure if you'd be able to find Grandia Xtreme, but if you can I think people might enjoy it. Though I must say that it revolves more around the fighting so the story may not be as good as you like, but I had no problems. Grandia 2 should be a little better, the story is awesome and the battle system is better than the first game in many ways. Oh yeah, I also think Grandia Xtreme's battle system was better than the first 2. If you have a PS1 memory card and you can find Grandia you might wanna try that out too, that is as long as you don't care about the graphics.

This is for people who are looking for suggestions, right? It's just I kinda see it pointless if it's for Gadzoox(it's been over a year since the start!)

XXAVIERR
Aug 22nd, 2003, 08:34 AM
In your opinion ssjtrunks, which of these two would be worth the money: Xenogears or Grandia 2? I'm still trying to make it through Chaos Legions, but after that I wanted to get back into an RPG.

ssjtrunks13
Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:24 PM
I haven't played Xenogears, just Xenosaga. So I can't really give you a good opinion on it, sorry. Maybe there's someone else who could help you.

Evil Parrot
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by XXAVIERR

In your opinion ssjtrunks, which of these two would be worth the money: Xenogears or Grandia 2? I'm still trying to make it through Chaos Legions, but after that I wanted to get back into an RPG.

Xenogears, without a doubt. No offence to any grandia fans but I'd rather have 1 Xenogears to 10 Grandias

XXAVIERR
Aug 27th, 2003, 02:40 PM
I don't know much about the "Zeno" series. Which game is the best out of this series?

rpgloverz
Nov 21st, 2003, 07:09 PM
i believe ff 10-2 is da best game.....i just bought it yesterday but i no its good from wat ive played so far

Dark Angel
Dec 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM
I wish we got Xenogears here...:(. I liked Legaia Duel Saga but then loved the first game, it's still good though.

pjb2006
Dec 13th, 2003, 02:26 PM
FFX is pretty good, but i think the summoning system sucks. I hope FFX-2 is better. Kingdom Hearts is my favorite RPGs. Its integration of action, swordplay, and RPG elements, like leveling up and getting new abilities, makes it the most interactive and exciting RPG to date. It also has tons of extras like 4 hidden bosses, including Sephiroth. One of the coolest things about the game to me is the secret trailer for Kingdom Hearts 2 that you get for collecting all the Dalmations throughout the game. The graphics in the CG movies blow away anything in FFX. The music is really cool too. Besides the stupid characters (Donald and Goofy) and the gay world themes (under water in Atlantica? what were they thinking), this is one of the best games out there. If only there weren't so many Disney characters in the game and more FF characters. I hope KH 2 does something cool like make Cloud or Squall a member of your party. That would rule.
Peace.