View Full Version : Silent hill 3 revealed

Infernal Mass
Jun 18th, 2002, 06:45 AM
release date: spring 2003

===========================
Main character: Heather
http://www.planetps2.com/shasylum/sh3images/fullbody2.JPG

Storyline:
It starts out from a town that is not really connected with Silent Hill, and Heather is an ordinary, normal girl. One day she gets trapped in a very strange world, and she tries to survive by running away from the strange monsters in that strange world. This is the first part of the story, and this is the place where the story begins to evolve. As to the later part, it can't be really discussed right now. We cannot really confirm whether she will end up in Silent Hill, but since the title is still Silent Hill, there will be some connection.

that's all for now..still looking for more i'll post here when i find out more :)

Hylas
Jun 19th, 2002, 07:31 PM
If they call the game Silent Hill only to make people who liked the other games of the series buy this one and there's not a clear connection with the other games (apart maybe the connection with same style and atmosphere), well, I find it stupid.
Adding to that, I think the original Silent Hill wasn't a metropolis but only a little provincial city, so, if they end setting this game in the original town, they can't expand it anymore to make the player visit a lot of new locations. That would be silly too!

Ruby Moon
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:55 PM
I wasn't expecting the main character to be a girl... do you have other details about her? Like for example why she has to go to SH or stuff like that? I'd like to know some details about this new character, but I know: probably it's too early!

Black Heart
Jun 21st, 2002, 09:41 PM
How interesting...a girl as the main character for the next SH...I was sure to see another unlucky man like Harry or James :laugh:

Anyway, I hope she's not on the same style of Claire Redfield from RE games. That would ruin the atmosphere of a game like SH!

Beretta55
Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:22 PM
hmmmmmmmmm.......a girl well im cool with it.

Infernal Mass
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:56 PM
I wish i had more info to share but that's all i could find. I'm keeping my eyes out for more stuff though :D i'll no doubt post it here if i find anything.

Here's what i'm guessing(pure 100% speculation), Heather, has a connection with Silent Hill i'm thinking maybe she was born there or something.

Also, from the trailer i've seen they brought back those dog like characters that give chase from the first game. That's one thing i thought the sequel lacked, a fast moving enemy(one that couldn't be simply avoided). I honestly believe the game would have been much more intense if it had had more fast moving creatures in it. Almost forgot Heather is going to have access to better weapons. Saw her firing a machine gun in the trailer for e3.

here's an interview with the SH3 team

=============================

"Since it debuted in 1999, the Silent Hill series has always offered something special to differentiate it from its survival horror brethren. There is a certain recognizable style, a certain sense of creeping dread, that is mostly unique to Konami's horror franchise.

Last week I sat down with several key members of the Silent Hill 3 team, including scenario writer Owaku Hiroyuki, sound director Akira Yamaoka and director Kazuhide Nakazawa. They answered (and sometimes dodged) questions about the recently-revealed Silent Hill 3 for the PlayStation 2.

Q: Is Silent Hill 3 an original storyline with new characters, or is it a continuation of the second title?

Hiroyuki: The characters you will see in Silent Hill 3 are all new characters, and the main character will be named Heather. I suppose you saw her in the booth footage? As to how it is connected with previous Silent Hills, at this time we can't really disclose how they are really connected. But the title is Silent Hill, so we suppose there is still some connection there. So in some way, we can say that this is still the sequel of Silent Hill 1 and 2.

Q: Will there be multiple player characters this time around?

Hiroyuki: No, just the one character: Heather.

Q: Will Silent Hill 3 be a PS2 exclusive, or might you port it to other platforms, ala Silent Hill 2?

Hiroyuki: At the moment, we have no plans to port it to other platforms.

Q: Can you talk about Silent Hill 3's storyline at all?

Hiroyuki: Although we cannot really discuss the main storyline, we can tell some of the story briefly. The story starts out in one town which is not Silent Hill. As you saw in the movie... Have you had a chance to see the video footage?

Q: I've only seen about half of it.

Hiroyuki: It starts out from a town that is not really connected with Silent Hill, and Heather is an ordinary, normal girl. One day she gets trapped in a very strange world, and she tries to survive by running away from the strange monsters in that strange world. This is the first part of the story, and this is the place where the story begins to evolve. As to the later part, we can't really discuss that right now.

Q: Will she end up in Silent Hill eventually?

Hiroyuki: We cannot really confirm whether she will end up in Silent Hill, but since the title is still Silent Hill, there will be some connection. [smiles]

Q: What gameplay elements that were not in Silent Hill 2 might we see in Silent Hill 3?

Nakazawa: We are trying to incorporate various opinions that gamers had on Silent Hill 2, and we are now trying to create new gameplay based on these suggestions. One thing is that we are trying to offer less frustration to gamers, especially in action scenes. At the same time we have to think about giving a good impression to gamers that the main character is an ordinary person, who has not been trained in the military. So have less frustation while playing the game, but at the same time show that the character is not really a professional weapons user.

Q: Silent Hill 2 was a giant visual leap over the PSX original. Will we see a similar leap in quality in Silent Hill 3?

Nakazawa: There are four key team members who work on creating visuals, and they are the same members from Silent Hill 2. So we have all kinds of know-how already, and are ready to make further improvements. We also know how to use other effects in making the visuals better, so we are confident they will be improved in Silent Hill 3.

Q: Do you think you can still scare audiences after all the trauma you've put them through in Silent Hill 1 and 2?

Nakazawa: [laughs] I don't think we've done enough yet. [laughs again] We have a lot more yet. We'd like to make a game where people will feel it's too scary and they'll not want to play anymore, but they'll still end up playing again. That's the kind of game we have to make.

Q: If you could only achieve one thing with Silent Hill 3, what would it be?

Nakazawa: I suppose by this time, people have some assumptions, or estimation, of what Silent Hill 3 will be like... from playing Silent Hill 1 and 2. However, what we'd like to do is go beyond the peoples' imaginations of what Silent Hill 3 will be like. We'd like to surprise peoples' expectations with this project.

Q: Finally, anything you'd like to say to your fans?

Nakazawa: Players of Silent Hill 3 will experience something new which you can't experience in other kinds of media... novels, movies, so on. Silent Hill 3 will offer a new kind of experience, a new fear, so please look forward to this title"
==============================

silenthill3
Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:19 PM
i think a woman in silenthill is welcome, because not only man have the strenght to survive in that opressive world, i just hope she turns to be a well made caracter like harry and specially james.one of the best things in silenthill is it plot, i hope they spend alot of time working in this aspect because this game goes nowere without a strange and peculiar story to tell.
2 i think its cool if the place isnt silenthill, after all i all have a silenthill in your minds with "terrible" secrets to face, but i have no doubt that eventually she in the end of the game opens a door(4 exemple ) and realizes that from one town she is now in another one... called silenthill. there has to be a connection.
2 the best aspect of this game, its the fact that it take place more in the alternative reality then in the normal world like silenthill2.

Black Heart
Jun 22nd, 2002, 08:31 PM
Hmmm... I'm interested by the discussion about the connection of SH3 with SH town. That's a really important point. Because as they said there must be a connection, but they could decide to connect these games only on the basis of an abstract idea. I hope they don't mess up this aspect, or I will be really disappointed. But knowing what they made in the past games, I think they have something spectacular in mind to amaze the player.

silenthill3
Jun 23rd, 2002, 05:03 AM
my point exactly, team silent will provide us with an amazing plot(or at least i hope so):):good:

RobHardo
Jun 23rd, 2002, 09:13 AM
I've never owned a psone or ps so what are the other silent hills about if they are good i will put SH3 on my list o fgames for ps2

Infernal Mass
Jun 23rd, 2002, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Solid: Snake
I've never owned a psone or ps so what are the other silent hills about if they are good i will put SH3 on my list o fgames for ps2

*spoilers*
The first SH was about a man named Harry Mason, who was searching for his daughter Cheryl with the help of a police offer from a nieghboring town named Cybil. He eventually finds himself in the center of a plot to resurrect a demon by the name of Sameal whom the original settlers of the Silent Hill worshiped.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jun 24th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Hopefully in SH3 theres actually a story line sorta like SH rather than SH2.I mean in SH2 he was just trying to find out about his wife and that was pretty much it he never question really what was up in the town.In the original silent hill you actually sorta got an idea what was going on and there was a more of an established story.I just hope the story in 3 is more like 1 this time around.

silenthill3
Jun 24th, 2002, 07:00 PM
i dont agree with you, i think silenthill1 plot was more confused then the plot in silenthill2, at least i ended the game understanding everything!

Uchiha Sasuke
Jun 24th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by silenthill3
i dont agree with you, i think silenthill1 plot was more confused then the plot in silenthill2, at least i ended the game understanding everything!

I never said it was confusing i just said it was pretty simplistic.I mean they could've done alot more like find out some more things about the town all he was looking for was his wife and there was then those other characters that didnt really mean that much and angela part in the game was pretty much a mystery all the time.

Infernal Mass
Jun 25th, 2002, 01:57 PM
i've read several plot summarys for the first game, it's without a doubt the most confusing of the two. Silent Hill 2, seemed to offer a sort of linear storyline compared to it's predecessor.

Uchiha Sasuke
Jun 25th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Hay kabuki can you post some of those summarys up here.I want to read how others sum up the game

Infernal Mass
Jun 25th, 2002, 03:05 PM
silent hill (http://www.dark-legacy.org/silent-hill/silent_hill_plot.txt)

x157anz
Jul 1st, 2002, 01:41 PM
Cool another silent hill !!! ;)
I thought the film would be out before the next game.
btw, when is the film released ?

jbaseley
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:20 PM
i dont really like silent hill all that much because im more of an action/Survival horror and sports fan

Beretta55
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:21 PM
silenthill is very more scary then residentevil at least thats what i think.

jbaseley
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:25 PM
i didnt enjoy it because there wasnt enough action.

Beretta55
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:38 PM
i dont need much atction in a game the creepy sounds and envierment was cool in SH and SH2.

Infernal Mass
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:35 AM
Kazuhide Nakazawa, director of Silent Hill 3

-Changes-

"Unlike 'Silent Hill' one and two, the main character in this chapter is a young woman," says Nakazawa. "This character is part of a new image and identity that we want 'Silent Hill 3' to have. This also includes a refined gameplay setup, alleviating the frustrating controls from the previous games."

"At the same time we need to maintain the same elements of character movements, especially since the main characters of 'Silent Hill' have always been ordinary people. They obviously haven't had any military training," explains Nakazawa.

-Mysteries revealed-

Q- The series has been infamous for having cryptic plotlines and enigmatic endings. Will the third installment help explain some of "Silent Hill's" mysteries?

A- "We're planning to have a more understandable plot with 'Silent Hill 3," answers Nakazawa. "However, if we are to explain what 'Silent Hill' truly is, I'm afraid that will diminish the scare-factors of the series. We'd like to keep many points complex. And much of the fear the game generates come the unknown and unexplained," adds Nakazawa.

You can expect to return to "Silent Hill" by spring
==============
media
----------

trailer1 (http://yatesfox.2itb.com/SilentHill/SilentHill3/SH3Movies/SH3Trailer3.mpg)
trailer2 (http://yatesfox.2itb.com/SilentHill/SilentHill3/SH3Movies/SH3Trailer1.mpg)