PDA

View Full Version : Mourdor (yes you m8 :P) and ff4

Macceh^
Jun 12th, 2002, 04:09 PM
lo Mourdor what is it with u and ff4, i really want to play it ive heard its ncie and depressing :P with some great chars. So convince me in no less than 200 words.

IcyMourdor
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:18 PM
*starts word count*

Story:

IMO, this has the best story out of all the FFs. It has its comedical points and then there are times that make you want to get up, dive into the game, and *****-slap that boss.

Characters:

These guys are a great bunch. Each with their own abilities that no one else can have. The main character is Cecil, a dark knight under the King of Baron. The story builds around him. His best friend Kain the dragoon assists Cecil on his quest along with Rosa the W. Mage, Cecil's love interest. Don't worry, I didn't spoil anything yet. I just told you what happens within the first five minutes of the game.

Cid:

In this game, he is the creator the world's airships. He works for King Baron, although he doesn't like how he treats his little "babies". As for whether he plays a major role or not, you'll just have to play to see.

Battle:

This is the only game besides FFT where you can have up to 5 characters at a time. Don't worry about deciding which to choose because the characters in your party depend on where you are in the game. Although you have five characters, it doesn't make the game any easier. It can sometimes hurt if you end up with mostly mages and you want to conserve MP for the upcoming boss.

Music:

One of the best soundtracks around. The music perfectly fits the mood and tone they are trying to set. The regular and boss battle music is the best out of all the FFs.

If there is anything else you'd like to know, I could probably send you a walkthrough of the game just from memory. I know that is kinda pathetic, but hey, I can't help it.

Difficulty Rating: 9.6/10 (PSX version)
7.2 /10 (SNES version)

Overall Rating: 10/10 (Both versions) ;)

CAUTION: All of the above is of the opinion of the self-proclaimed master of FF, Mourdor. Spoilers were not given due to the fact that they were not requested. Do NOT blame him if you do not find your playing experience as enthusiastic as his. Play the game and see for yourself.

Sword 4 Hire
Jun 12th, 2002, 08:47 PM
Y'know I was really starting to like this game to...I was just starting to get into it but then I was in a point in the story (like Mourdor said) where all they gave me were Mages...who were completely useless because I needed to save their MP and the guys were hard as hell...personally...I'm sorry to admit...I couldn't hack this game...but I'll give it another go once my RPG skills improve...

Macceh^
Jun 13th, 2002, 10:29 AM
i got the rom but im considering buying the psx version. lol your not sad i could probs send a wlkthru from memory for ff6 and 7.

IcyMourdor
Jun 13th, 2002, 11:24 AM
Hell, if Harry or the rest would like, I could set up a FF walkthrough of all of them released. 4-10 and Tactics.

kupoartist
Jun 13th, 2002, 12:59 PM
FFIV is a good game.. but I wouldn't claim its anywhere near the best (not that anyone has O'course ^_^)

My main problem is probably the characters. Much in the same way as in FF7, FF4 has some outstanding memorable characters (Kain, Kain and... Kain ^_^ lift this story way above the mediocre), and some that seem to be mere space fillers. (Edward especially)
This problem is confounded by the party change system. Because the party change system is in fact non-exsistent.
This has a horrid effect on the story, and you can pratically imagine the story-writer randomly bashing his typewriter to come up with ways to get rid of surplus characters. Put simply, killing off every out of party character is about as lame as Final Fantasy Storywriting gets. Bringing back every single dead character takes lameness one step futher.
There are a load of story elements that are never really taken anywhere either. The love story was never really dwelt on at all, even though the love-triangle (Cecil, Rosa, Kain) showed excellent potential.
As its an older game, It also suffers a particuarly bad interface, but thats to be expected...

Just one futher word of warning : The PSX's save feature sucks very badly. Save only when you wish to watch grass growing.

On the plus side, It has the majority of the things Mourdor said (except the ones i *****ed about ^_^) and it also has Kain. The only non at least partially-sweet character I've ever really liked ^_^

In relation to the over FFs i'd rate the whole lot a little like this :
FF6, FF7, FF9, FF8, FF4, FF5, FF1, FF2.

Though i'd say its very close with FF5, but Europeans are lucky to get them in one package at the mo ^_^

Macceh^
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:55 PM
;o thanks for your contribution artist :) im probably gonna buy the psx version now but i havent got 10 yet :(

Macceh^
Jun 13th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Hell, if Harry or the rest would like, I could set up a FF walkthrough of all of them released. 4-10 and Tactics

exellent idea m8 id be prepared to help in anyway *crosses fingers* plz harry :D

IcyMourdor
Jun 13th, 2002, 04:10 PM
You can speed up the process of the saving. Put it in your PS2. The loading times are a lot faster than playing it in the PSX. I actually like the way they have the characters, but I guess that not everyone does. FF4 is still at the top of my list along with FFT.