PDA

View Full Version : Online Gaming for all the Consoles

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 11:14 AM
Do you think that online gaming will really help all the 3 console makers,if so,what are your reasons

Sleazy P Martini
Jun 9th, 2002, 11:48 AM
It's possible, but I don't think it will explode and replace offline games. I for one am not too interested in playing online. To me it seems like more hassle than its worth. You have to buy the extras just to get online and then pay a monthy fee. No thanks.

KraftSLU
Jun 9th, 2002, 12:20 PM
While the online ventures from all 3 major contenders might have a small following, I seriously doubt any of them are going to be super successful. Online gaming started for the PC back in the late 80s... anyone remember any of those online games? Hardly anybody played them, it took a while for them to catch on. Wouldn't suprise me if the same thing happened with the console market. I bet it won't be anything too spectacular for another 5 or so years until the next batch of consoles emerges.

GaseousSnake
Jun 9th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Online gaming may be successful and may also be a failure.Sony and Nintendo(especially Nintendo) arent all that ready for online gaming.the only console that seems to be ready is the Xbox

Spank-A-Thon
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:04 PM
If you asked me who I'd rather play multi-player games with/against then the answer is simple.

Why would I want to spend time playing with, and beating, namelss faceless people from god-knows-where, when I could be sat on the couch with my mates, drinking beer and generally taking the piss out of each other?

There's nothing better than playing 4-player games with your mates, all crowded round a TV.

If I want to play on-line I have my PC - I'm not really bothered about console on-line gaming at all...

- S

GaseousSnake
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Thats the point.There are alot of people that arent all that interested in online gaming...............M$ recently invested $2 billion dollars into their online gaming plan for the xbox.

I for one know that I aint gonna spend alot of dough on accessories that will enable me interact with God who knows who.I think all the 3 major companies should just forget about online gaming...PERIOD!!

KraftSLU
Jun 10th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Personally, I would love to sit on my couch with 3 of my mates, drinking beer, and smacking the crap out of 16 other suckers from around the world in my fps games. I think a *lot* of people went the MS route for that reason too. I went the MS route because I love to sit on my couch and play games with friends, which the XBox is great for, and I love to play online against a multitude of people who present me with different strategies and different playing styles to play against, which MS seemed to me at the time to have the best chances of providing.

But also realize that MS's main intention by dumping so much money into the networks isn't primarily to promote online gaming. They are really just trying to get people to plug their computers and their xbox into a home network. MS is trying to take computing to the living room via the xbox, so the investment will be worth it to them whether they make money or not on the ordeal. Thats why they are now developing attatchments for the xbox that allow you to access your PC from across the house and play mp3s or videos and stuff through the network and into your living room. Friggin genius if you ask me.

GaseousSnake
Jun 10th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Wow,I never thought that the Xbox could do that.
I wanna get one.

PlatinumGame
Jun 10th, 2002, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't be working so hard on my new site if I didn't believe that online gaming will be a defenite succes. The Dreamcast started it and we have a large, bountiful future ahead of us. Games like Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II, Final Fantasy XI, and Unreal Championship will just be incredible. With many more titles and advances in broadband and console technology, it can only get better.

Hylas
Jun 11th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Sleazy P Martini
It's possible, but I don't think it will explode and replace offline games. [...] You have to buy the extras just to get online and then pay a monthy fee. No thanks.

I agree with it. Adding to that, there are still many players with slow connections who cannot be involved in online games for technical issues.