PDA

View Full Version : Which FF should I play first?

Mercury Shadow
Jun 1st, 2002, 12:40 PM
I'm new to RPGs, but I'd really like to start getting into them. Right now I'm playing Super Mario RPG, and I like it a lot.

So, which Final Fantasy should I start out with? The systems I have are PS2, PSone, and Snes. Thanks for your help :)

happy_doughnut
Jun 1st, 2002, 01:50 PM
You haven't played them?!? *falls over* :D
Hmm... I'd suggest you start with 7. Many people, including myself, really liked that particular one. It isn't too complex and has a smooth flow. Besides, it has a story that I think you'll enjoy. After that you should either go up or down. Meaning, you should either play the olfer FF's (ie:4,5,6) or the newer ones : 8,9,10. I don't know... but I think you should start with 7. :)

BTW: I hope you enjoy playing RPG's :D

Sleazy P Martini
Jun 1st, 2002, 02:17 PM
Yeah start with 7. That was my all time favorite.

kupoartist
Jun 1st, 2002, 04:09 PM
7 isn'y my favorite, but i'd probably recommend it as the place to start. If you like what you see, try FFVI... IMO thats the best of the lot, but what the hell do i know? ^_^

RufusFF7
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:01 PM
Start with 7.

Mercury Shadow
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by the_artist
7 isn'y my favorite, but i'd probably recommend it as the place to start. If you like what you see, try FFVI... IMO thats the best of the lot, but what the hell do i know? ^_^

Was FF IV only released in Japan? When I looked on Ebay, all they had was japanese copies... :confused:

Also, is the first Final Fantasy called "mystic quest" ? Just wondering.

RufusFF7
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:24 PM
Mystic Quest was a very basic RPG for the SNES. It was basically a kiddie RPG to introduce more ppl into the genre so square would make more sales on final fantasy games in the US... Mystic Quest was a failure.

Beretta55
Jun 1st, 2002, 05:28 PM
i think you should start with 7 if you cant find one on ebay then go find a used one at funcoland thats how i got my ff7.

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 1st, 2002, 08:13 PM
Definately 7! Great Story, great game, and the gfx are way ahead of their time so you should'nt be too disappointed on that part

-Gotta love Sephiroth:cool:

ChronoSquall
Jun 1st, 2002, 11:12 PM
FF7...........best story........best characters.......best battle system..........best summons..........best music..........best mini games..........best game ever.

jenova_jeb
Jun 2nd, 2002, 06:13 AM
VII would be an excellent game for you start with.

Macceh^
Jun 2nd, 2002, 09:17 AM
tbh it doesnt matter which you start with as there all different and so thers no stroy to catch up on, every magic system is different so that gives no advantage so starting with 7 is no different than starting with say 9.

Female_Vivi
Jun 3rd, 2002, 03:52 AM
I'd say.... 9. Why am I the only one :peoples: Maybe because I never played 7:phew:

Just start with 7 and go up, up, up. :laugh:

RufusFF7
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:34 PM
Yeah start with 7... Skip 8, then go up up up. *waits to see the flame from ff8 fans. :laugh: :P

Pimp_Daddy507
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:40 PM
Dont start off FFT, thats a more strategic game than Rpg. Play some Rpg games to get used to the feeling of strategic manuevers, or you'll get swept! Unless u already like strategy games.........

Other than that, u might wanna start off wit FFXI (i hope thats ff10) because that gfx are more up to date, and if ur like me, i hate to dust off old ps1 games cause im used to hardcore pc gfx. u know what i mean?

If u dont care bout dat s**t, than stick to FF7, one of the best games ive ever played.........period

RufusFF7
Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:48 PM
Other than that, u might wanna start off wit FFXI (i hope thats ff10)

No dude, FFXI=FF11
FFX=FF10

it goes:
1=I
5=V
10=X

For Example: XIII=13, because it's ten plus three ones.

kupoartist
Jun 4th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mercury_Shadow
Was FF IV only released in Japan? When I looked on Ebay, all they had was japanese copies... :confused:

firstly, I said "FFVI" (6) not "FFIV" (4), but dont worry i'll forgive you ^_^

As far as your actual question, it depends on which version you're talking about. "FFIV" (4) was released in Japan in two versions on it's inital console (SNES/SFC) named "FF4" and "FF4 Easy Type." The easy type was then sold in the US as "FF2" (the US never got the real NES/FC FF2 and 3). As far as I know, barring a few import cases, FFIV (4) was never released in Europe for the SNES.

However, FFIV (4) (Hard Type) was updated for the Playstation, released in Japan numerous times (They'd buy a turd in a box if it said "Final Fantasy" on it somewhere ^_^) in the US as "Final Fantasy : Chronicles" alongside Chrono Trigger, and finally in Europe last month as "Final Fantasy : Anthology (European Edition)" alongside FFV (5).

For the record, the same can be said of FFVI (6) more or less (there was thankfully no "Easy"or "Hard" type). It was released in the US as FFIII (3) (they didn't get FFV) for the SNES, with no known European release. Then the Playstation releases came, the US got it as "Final Fantasy : Anthology" (with FFV (5)) and Europe got it as "Final Fantasy VI", bundled with a FFX demo for a nice £9.99

Infernal Mass
Jun 4th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by the_artist

However, FFIV (4) (Hard Type) was updated for the Playstation, released in Japan numerous times (They'd buy a turd in a box if it said "Final Fantasy" on it somewhere ^_^) in the US as "Final Fantasy : Chronicles" alongside Chrono Trigger, and finally in Europe last month as "Final Fantasy : Anthology (European Edition)" alongside FFV (5).

what are the notable difrrences between the Easy & Hard type Final Fantasies..besides difficulty. Does it merit a purchase?

kupoartist
Jun 4th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Easy type is most certainly not a good version. You could argue that as its easier, you get to see the storyline quicker, as you have to do less work... but Easy Type pratically butchered the original game by doing away with a lot of the skills available to each character, and by generally making the monsters very very weak.

However, Hard Type could be counted as a bit of an extreme in that it is very hard. Some argue that it is in fact the hardest FF experience out there... I wouldn't start with either of the versions as a first game. FFVII is the best bet as it is easy to understand, and dosen't test your patience with ye olde console graphics ^_^

Infernal Mass
Jun 4th, 2002, 02:08 PM
:laugh: the ye olde graphics are a bit uneasy on the eyes nowadays i agree.
FF2 (US) was my first, i'm considering to buy the FF: Chronicles mainly for Chrono Trigger. i didn't even now about the diffrent difficulty Final Fantasy 2 until now. It's seems like it'll be an added bonus to the package.