PDA

View Full Version : Why Anime?

MakgSnake
May 19th, 2002, 02:28 PM
I Just Wanted To Know, Why U Guys Are Intrested In Anime So Much, What Made U Love It? And What Exactly Makes U Keep Coming Back For More?

Cause I Have Seen Some, I Think They Are Cool, But I Still Cant Get The Hidden Picture Why People Love It So Much. Whats The Secret Of Actually Making Anime Ure Obsession? :)

merylsilverburg
May 19th, 2002, 02:37 PM
My God, I love anime. You're right, Makg....it's actually an obsession of mine and I can't seem to get rid of it. I'm not exactly sure why anime is such a huge obsession to some people, but for me, it's because: The drawings are so unbelievably gorgeous and so unrealistic and yet realistic, that it kinda draws me in. The stories and plots are such a huge factor too, because anime allows for plots to happen that can't happen in movies or real life and so on. The Japanese have so creative when it comes to storylines. Most of them seem pretty much different from the rest (except for a few). The characters.....some characters in animes relate to me, which is why I think anime is popular among other people. The character's personalities are quite realistic that it can relate to peoples lives and they are able to have "comfort" in seeing a character they like being like them. I still don't know why, but I know that I'm a huuge fan and I go to any lengths just to get anime or collect some merchandise and so on. :love:

MakgSnake
May 19th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Well Meryl It Does Sound Intresting, The Reasons Uve Said. I Didn't Know That There Are Anime's To Which Fans Can Relate So Well, That They Can Find Their Image In It. But Then There Are Sooooo Many Animes So That Means Soo Many Characters. Very Intresting.

And Yes The Colours And The Plots Are Different....

I Guess I'll Have To Start Watching More To Find Me IN Them. By The Way, Which Characters Do U Relate To Most? Just Wondering Now (I Know Probably I Wouldn't Know That Character And The Anime But Still)

I Also Believe, Now A Days In Hollywood, Many Movies Are Being Made Inspired By These Animes Which Is Simply Amazing News.

Cannibal Clown
May 19th, 2002, 05:21 PM
Both Meryl and I know that we could go on forever describe reasons why we love anime so much, but she simplified it pretty well. My characters who I relate to would be Shinji ikari, and in a way, Hitomi Kanzaki, from escaflowne, even though she's a girl, her situation between the conflict of the ones she loves really describes me well.

There are others, but they are probally the closest.

I'd bet that we cou;ld help you find out what animes are the important ones if you tell us what you've already seen. Then we could find out what you knmow so far, and what your knowlegte is laking, and then we can convert you into an Otaku like us.

MakgSnake
May 19th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Well....I Have Seen (Not HIT Me With Anything) But I Have Seen.... Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Cowboy Beebop, The Tekken Movie, Some Street Fighter Series, A Very Little Of DBZ...And I Guess Thats It.

I Love Akira, And Ghost In The Shell, And Well Cowboy Beebop Seems Super Cool (The Movie I Mean)

merylsilverburg
May 19th, 2002, 06:18 PM
Alright Cannibal, it's time to makeover Makg! ;) Okay, the characters I relate to are: The entire team from Cowboy Bebop. That's the closest out of all the animes I've seen. Makg, you've seen the CB movie? :shock: That's cool! I would've seen it, but I'm waiting for it to get licensed. Okay, so you've seen basically anime movies, but not series. The anime series I would recommend are:
Rurouni Kenshin: Samurai + sword + action = cool :D

Cowboy Bebop: The most realistic characters I've ever encountered. The atmospere is sad and reminds me of real life because of the situations involving the characters. Can't miss this one.

Trigun: Futuristic western anime. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Evangelion: Okay, I've never seen it....but a lot of people like it. Involves lots of mecha.

Fushigi Yuugi: It's a shoujo which means a "girl's comic" but this series has a lot of guy fans too. Ancient China....modern girl....many problems, drama, and some comedy. Tear-jerker.

Revolutionary Girl Utena: Odd story, beautiful drawings, extremely mysterious. A shoujo as well.

There are many others....but my brain is kinda fried at the moment. If you would like.....I can name off all the animes I've seen and you can choose one to ask me about it and I can describe them to you. :)

MakgSnake
May 20th, 2002, 02:53 PM
Woh, Thats Some Amazing Stuff There. Thanks Meryl.. So U Relate Most To CowboyBeebop..... I Really Liked The Movie........And Yes Everything In The Movie Seems Realistic And Close To Life. I Mean An Actual Movie Atmosphere.

I Am Right Now In Pakistan, Over 99% Of People Dont Even Know What Anime Is......So I Doubt I'll Get Those Series Uve Mentioned But Still I'll Look For These At The Moment.....ANd Try To Get Them

I Remember In The Old Forums Fortune Helped Me With Animes Too........She Mentioned Some Of Her Favs.....

But Its All Cool Now.

Is Watching Animes Like "Bold And The Beautiful".........Just Wondering.

Cannibal Clown
May 20th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Bold and the beutiful. I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but I do have another series, that's one of my favs. tenkuu No Escaflowne, also known as Vision of Escaflowne.

The show is very deep, and the drawings are excelent, expesially with the mechas. They are really cool. The plot gets really twisted, and it's very serious, and always keeps you guesing about what's going to happen next.

Another popular one is Tenchi Muyo. It's mainly for laughs, but the original tenchi muyo series has a lot of depth and story to it, unlike Tenchi universe, and Tenchi in Tokyo, which really sucked.

And for a really kick ass movie, vampire hunter d is awesome, I hear that the second one is great too, but I haven't seen it yet, so...

Those are suggestions from me, but I know that Meryl has a much greater knowlege of anime than me, so I'd listen to whatever she has to say ahead of me.

merylsilverburg
May 20th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Thank you for the compliment, Cannibal. :) Yes, Vampire Hunter D is very good. However, I like the first movie better thant the second one (first movie: Vampire Hunter D, second movie: Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust). But you should still check out both. I actually haven't seen Escaflowne because I saw this one episode, which was like...right in the middle, plus it was on Cartoon Network and the dub was horrible. :P But, a lot of people like Escaflowne, just like Evangelion (what's with the "e" names? :laugh: ) so I recommend those as well. Okay, basically, the animes series you CANNOT miss are:

Rurouni Kenshin, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Evangelion, Escaflowne, and Hellsing. *Hellsing is licensed and is coming to the US in July, by Pioneer Entertaiment* If anyone has any other suggestions, please feel free to input.

Also, Ranma 1/2....I forgot about that......honestly, I don't like the series that much, but everyone has seen it, so....it depends on you, whether you like the comedy in it or not. I can't judge that for you, sorry. I am planning on getting the rest of the episodes...

As for anime movies, you can't miss:

Akira, Princess Mononoke, Jin-Roh, Metropolis, Blood: The Last Vampire, Vampire Hunter D, and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. There are probably more, but my brain is kinda fried at the moment.

Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi or Spirited Away is another Miyazaki, Hayao film that is licensed by Disney and is currently being dubbed and the whole bit. I'm not sure when the US will see it, but I think it's around 2003/2004. This film I have not seen yet....I'm planning on getting it soon, so I'll tell you guys later how it is.

Another person besides Cannibal and I, who has a wide knowledge of anime is BowevelJoe, but the guy has disappeared....he has a lot of burned animes, so if you ever need to see any, he's the guy to go. That is....if he ever returns.

Cannibal Clown
May 21st, 2002, 03:40 PM
Hey Meryl, about that Spirited Away movie. Do you know when it's comming to america, if it hasn't already that is. I read up on it and think that it looks like an awesome anime. It won a whole sh*t load of awards in Japan, and I'm so excited about seeing it here.

merylsilverburg
May 21st, 2002, 07:38 PM
I'm not sure when Spirited Away is coming out, but I think it's around 2003/2004. Yes, I know it won so many awards.....I read that many people didn't know if Miyazaki-san would be able to outdo his previous film, Mononoke-Hime (Princess Mononoke) but apparently from all the awards, he did. :shock: Yes, well I'm going to see it. :D Makg, is this helping you?