PDA

View Full Version : PS2 Backwards Compatibilty Troubleshooting

Pumaman
May 16th, 2002, 07:49 PM
I just received a brand new Playstation 2 today, but I'm having trouble with playing a regular Playstation game on it. Whenever I try and play Chrono Cross, the screen is constantly "bouncing" up and down except on the menu screen. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Harry
May 16th, 2002, 08:03 PM
It seems a problem with the refresh rate of the screen. Does only this Psx game cause this problem? And is it an original game? Or are you using a NTSC Psx game on a modified PAL Ps2 or something like that?

Pumaman
May 16th, 2002, 09:10 PM
Chrono Cross is the only PSX or PS2 game I own. When configuring the PS2 (time, etc), this problem didn't exist. The game came straight from EBGames.com, as did the PS2. No modifications have been done to either.

Mercury Shadow
May 17th, 2002, 05:50 AM
I suggest getting another psx game or borrowing one from a friend and see if that works. If it does, then it's a problem with the chrono cross probably. If the other psx game doesnt work right, I'd call EB and ask what's going on.

Pumaman
May 17th, 2002, 07:14 PM
I put FFX in it today, and I'll admit the CD is fairly scratched, but I can't get passed the intro. After it says "FINAL FANTASY X", it fades out and stays black. My friend says it works perfectly on his PS2, though. Think there's something wrong with my PS2?

Harry
May 17th, 2002, 08:08 PM
It's possibile but if the disk is scratched you should try another disk in good condition. Anyhow, did you try using the auto diagnosis feature of the ps2? It's supposed to work for DVD, but it solved issues to many players having problems with games. It basically readjust the alignment of the lens.

Turn on the console with no disk inserted; in the menu screen click Triangle; in the following menu select the line "Console", then click Triangle and set diagnosis to on. Then go back, insert the disk, and try the game.

Guitarshredder
May 24th, 2002, 06:00 PM
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/file/playstation2_backwards_compat.txt

Check out the link. Might help yah out.......