PDA

View Full Version : MGS2 Extra Modes in Japanese Version!

merylsilverburg
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:24 PM
I got my February issue of Electronic Gaming Monthly and there was this section on MGS2 strategy in the back. Along with the strategy, there was this section that talked about the cool EXTRA MODES in the Japanese version of the game, that we never got! This is what they got:
CASTING THEATER: Watch any of a handful of cinemas over again, only this time you can swap in and out different characters. Have Ocelot resuce Snake from Vamp and Raiden face Olga on the tanker. You can even use the old MGS1 models of Snake and Ocelot as actors. Cool!
BOSS SURVIVAL: Thought MGS2's bosses were pretty easy? Actually, so did we. But try this new mode: You fight all the bosses in a row, without all those rations to fall back on. See if you can beat your best time.

Doesn't that sound AWESOME?!! Using the MGS1 models in MGS2 would be great to see! I've got the Japanese version of MGS2 but I haven't tried to play it yet. I wonder if you'll have to beat the game once in order to open up the modes? :confused:

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:25 PM
Not fair i want thos modes.I am so mad:mad:

MakgSnake
Jan 27th, 2002, 11:46 PM
Soon I Am Getting A PS2, And I Know I Will Buy That Jap Version Too!.! But Meryl.....Did U Buy The Jap Version From Ebay?.? Cause U Usually Have All These Stuff That Never End Up In States!.!

And Yeah I Am Also MAD!.! :mad:

But Thanks Alot For Letting Us Know!

BowevelJoe
Jan 28th, 2002, 08:14 AM
haha makg your going to have 4 copies of MGS2 from diff countries hahahaha

Ill see if i can pop a copy imported, but ill need a MOD CUBE to play it, but they only cost $20 and you dont have to wire it in, just pop it into the back :)

GaseousSnake
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Cool new features:cool:

Spirit
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:52 AM
hmmm intersting features but I doubt I'll ever play mgs2 any time soon, I beat it over 10 times, then got bored at fighting 25 metal gears near the end of extreme, and stopped playing, but I did get all the dogtags :D

Neo_Soldier28
Jan 28th, 2002, 09:54 AM
That sucks that we don't get them but thats what you get when your the first to get stuff. But we did get to expierence it first and i loved every minute of it!!!!!

merylsilverburg
Jan 29th, 2002, 07:18 PM
Actually, MakgSnake, the Japanese version that I got was the one that came with the MGS2 Premium Package. So, I didn't have to get another from Ebay. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try it out just yet to see those new modes.

MakgSnake
Jan 29th, 2002, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try it out just yet to see those new modes.

What Are U Waiting For Then??? :eek: I Mean Try It Yo!.! Just TRY It!.!

I'll Try Getting The JAP Version From This Mall I Know, They ALSO HAVE THE METAL GEAR SOLID 2 2002 Calendar And I Am Buying It Soon. Only For $35. OOOH YEAH!!!!!!!

And Yes I Dont Care If I Have 4 Different MGS2, I Have 4 MGS1, So It Wont Make A Difference! :D

merylsilverburg
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:12 PM
That's cool about the MGS2 calender! By the way, what are the 4 different MGS1 games you got? Are they from USA, Japan, and Europe?

MakgSnake
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:30 PM
By the way, what are the 4 different MGS1 games you got? Are they from USA, Japan, and Europe?
Well, First I Bought The US NTSC Version, Then I Got The Japan NTSC Version, Then I Bought The PAL Version (Came With The Limited Edition Box Made In UK) And Then I Bought The US NTSC Version Again!.! Just For Safety.!. And Then I Bought The PC Version Of MGS. So....I Have 5 MGS1! :D

merylsilverburg
Jan 29th, 2002, 09:48 PM
WOW! That's amazing! :eek: You really ARE a MGS/MGS2 Fan!! That's really cool! I really want that Limited Edition Box from the UK! :( Oh well! :D

MakgSnake
Jan 29th, 2002, 10:10 PM
I really want that Limited Edition Box from the UK! :( Oh well! :D
Man Uve Got The MGS2 Limited Edition Box, Thats The Best Thing EVER!.!.!.!.!.!....Inshallah I'll Get My Hands On It Too!.! I Have A Feeling I Will....Lets Hope I Get The Money From Somewhere (My Dad's Room Hahaha) :D

merylsilverburg
Jan 30th, 2002, 07:36 PM
I actually found the time to try out the Japanese version of MGS2 to see those modes......but......it wasn't there!!! I guess you'll have to play through the game once in order to get them? Playing through, I actually like the American voices for the characters instead of the Japanese. I dunno....I guess I'm just used to David Hayter's voice! It fits so well! :D By the way, good luck on finding the Limited Box Set, MakgSnake! I hope everyone can try to get their hands on it! It's something that no MGS/MGS2 fan should be without! :)

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 30th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Im a hardcore fan of the series but im not going to go all out like some of you and buy all the versions just to say that i have them.I agree that the special editions might be nice but still there not going to reveal anymore of the story,it will just be som extra modes thrown in and i think its not worth going through all that trouble getting the mod chip and the special edition.Waste of good money thats what i say.

MakgSnake
Jan 30th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
Im a hardcore fan of the series but im not going to go all out like some of you and buy all the versions just to say that i have them.I agree that the special editions might be nice but still there not going to reveal anymore of the story,it will just be som extra modes thrown in and i think its not worth going through all that trouble getting the mod chip and the special edition.Waste of good money thats what i say.
Traitor!!! And U Call Ureself That Ure A Die Hard Metal Gear Fan, .................... Ure Not!.! Meryl And I Are! And Proud Of It!.! :D :D

Uchiha Sasuke
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:38 AM
Well all im saying is that if some of the versions are the same why go out and buy another one and have to pay the extra costs for a mod chip

Cannibal Clown
Jan 31st, 2002, 08:39 AM
You're all wasting your money buying the same thing more a higher price. What's the need? Really.

Neo_Soldier28
Jan 31st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Hey Cannible reread the posts it would all be for some more features thats the whole reason

GaseousSnake
Jan 31st, 2002, 01:39 PM
The added xtra features r worth the dough,and u even get to make your ps2 a multi system console.

MakgSnake
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Neo_Soldier28
Hey Cannible reread the posts it would all be for some more features thats the whole reason
Exactly...Read It All Guys!.! The JAP Version Has Some Extra Features And The UK Version As Well!.! Which I NEED Badly!.! So Thats Why.......I'll Get Them Both!.! And If U Think Its Stupid, Let It Be. No One Is Forcing U Guys To Buy Them!.! :)

and u even get to make your ps2 a multi system console.
Thats Another GOOD Reason!.! :)

merylsilverburg
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:31 PM
I know what some of you mean when you're talking about wasting money to get another game just to have extra features, but sometimes, you just gotta have it if you're a fan! And besides....how cool would it be to see MGS2's Snake take MGS1's Snake hostage?! That scene was in one of the pictures from the Electronic Gaming Monthly and seeing that, I went,"Wowwwwwww!" :D I'm a dork, I know....:rolleyes:

MakgSnake
Jan 31st, 2002, 02:39 PM
how cool would it be to see MGS2's Snake take MGS1's Snake hostage?! That scene was in one of the pictures from the Electronic Gaming Monthly and seeing that, I went,"Wowwwwwww!"
No...!!! I Think I'll ALSO GO WOOWWWWWWW And Probably Start Jumping Up And DOWN!!!! :D :D

Uchiha Sasuke
Feb 3rd, 2002, 04:32 AM
Ok the main thing in mgs is its story you buying the game for some modes like boss survival and a mode where you can see the cutscenes.Its not going to reveal anymore to the story so why buy

MakgSnake
Feb 4th, 2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by SSSnake
Ok the main thing in mgs is its story you buying the game for some modes like boss survival and a mode where you can see the cutscenes.Its not going to reveal anymore to the story so why buy
Snake We Know, No More Of the Story Will Be Revealed....But Just Imagine.....An Interview Of KOJIMA, And Him Talking To SNAKE In It!.! Would Reveal More Info On MGS.!. Which I Really Want, As I Consider Myself The Biggest MG FAN!.! neways.

And Just Imagine When I Get Those CDs And I Come Online Here And Tell All THE AMAZING THings U Can Do And See .......... I Am Sure Each MGS Fan Who Wont Be Having That......Would Really WANT TO Have It Then!.!

But Then Again Its Ure Life....Dont Buy It!.! But For A FAN...Its Not Stupidity Its Treasure And Increasing His/Her Collectors Item!.!

GaseousSnake
Feb 4th, 2002, 06:05 PM
The xtra stuff the Bits r having will make any USA fan wanna have em(if HE?SHE is a fan)

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by MakgSnake

Snake We Know, No More Of the Story Will Be Revealed....But Just Imagine.....An Interview Of KOJIMA, And Him Talking To SNAKE In It!.! Would Reveal More Info On MGS.!. Which I Really Want, As I Consider Myself The Biggest MG FAN!.! neways.

And Just Imagine When I Get Those CDs And I Come Online Here And Tell All THE AMAZING THings U Can Do And See .......... I Am Sure Each MGS Fan Who Wont Be Having That......Would Really WANT TO Have It Then!.!

But Then Again Its Ure Life....Dont Buy It!.! But For A FAN...Its Not Stupidity Its Treasure And Increasing His/Her Collectors Item!.!

Righttt! but for the amout of money its going to cost to get my ps2 modded and get the game i can get something else real nice

GaseousSnake
Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:17 PM
Do u mean that the added features r a waste of time SSnake,u must be joking.

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 01:41 PM
No im just not going to spend 100 some bucks to play 2 or 3 more modes

Dark Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:12 PM
what's in the limited edition pal mgs one? and the mgs2 one aswell? is there something really different? and i never heard of a limited edition in the uk

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:29 PM
You just get a lot of extras in the Uk and japanese versions thats all.Like artwork.Comentary.Extra modes etc

Dark Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
where'd you get it from?

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:40 PM
I didnt get it i just know what i comes with.You could prolly pre order it on the net if you want it

Dark Angel
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:47 PM
i meant the mgs one, and i've preordered mgs2 does anything come with that? aside from the dvd

Uchiha Sasuke
Mar 2nd, 2002, 04:51 PM
Mgs 1 special addition.Hmm i know its around but i dont know where you can find it.As for the special addition for mgs2 it comes with this
1.special dvd case
2.72 page page book of artwork called mg chronicle
3.100 minute dvd documentary of the making of the game
4.Solid snake figurine

SilverJackel
May 17th, 2002, 04:36 AM
hey, i'm from the uk and i got MGS2 a couple of days ago. i don't think i've got a special edition or anything, but i unlocked the cinema mode and boss survival modes by finnishing the game. plus i got this 'the making of' dvd, which is cool. just thought i'd let you guys know before you spent £100 on something i got for 30. btw, any of you know which marines have the dogtags in hold 1 & 3. I heard if you get 'em all you can get another stealth suit.

Esjay
May 25th, 2002, 10:49 AM
This wasn't a very fair move, this is like...ah,

let's say a company makes a car in the US. You spend your hard earned money on it, and you know, you cruise around a little bit, and enjoy all of the cool stuff that your new car has, and then, that same company makes the EXACT same car in the UK, except it has a DVD player, a PS2 built into the car itself, a leather-interior, and a navigational system, availible for the exact same price that you paid for your own car!! And the worst part is, that other car with extra features is UK exclusive!! So you'll NEVER get to drive that awesome car

that's how I look at it anyway, I hope what I said made sense to you all o.O aside from boss survival and casting theatre, the only other extra feature that I know of in the PAL MGS2 is that you can get a suppressor on Snake's Tanker mission

merylsilverburg
May 25th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by Esjay
This wasn't a very fair move, this is like...ah,

let's say a company makes a car in the US. You spend your hard earned money on it, and you know, you cruise around a little bit, and enjoy all of the cool stuff that your new car has, and then, that same company makes the EXACT same car in the UK, except it has a DVD player, a PS2 built into the car itself, a leather-interior, and a navigational system, availible for the exact same price that you paid for your own car!! And the worst part is, that other car with extra features is UK exclusive!! So you'll NEVER get to drive that awesome car

that's how I look at it anyway, I hope what I said made sense to you all o.O aside from boss survival and casting theatre, the only other extra feature that I know of in the PAL MGS2 is that you can get a suppressor on Snake's Tanker mission

I think the extra stuff added in to the Japanese version was only because MGS2 was released in the US first instead of Japan. I think they felt bad for the Japanese, since...well....MGS is originally a Japanese game. :)

Esjay
May 25th, 2002, 06:58 PM
yeah that's true Meryl, but I mean, they almost ALWAYS get games before anyone else does (Devil May Cry and FFX to name a few) it was nice to finally be the first to play an AWESOME and highly anticipated game, you know?

merylsilverburg
May 25th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by Esjay
yeah that's true Meryl, but I mean, they almost ALWAYS get games before anyone else does (Devil May Cry and FFX to name a few) it was nice to finally be the first to play an AWESOME and highly anticipated game, you know?

Exactly. Which is probably why they felt bad. MGS2 didn't actually come out first in Japan like normal....many Japanese were disappointed by this. *Even if they were, the MGS series didn't really do so well in Japan unlike the US, so I really don't see what they were grumbling about*

Esjay
May 26th, 2002, 11:58 AM
yeah, I see your point Meryl...maybe the Japanese community didn't like MGS2 all that much because of Raiden? I thought that Raiden would be widely accepted in Japan for some reason though o.O (I should get back on topic, sorry!)

SilverJackel
May 26th, 2002, 12:16 PM
me too, he has that manga look doesn't he? plus the fluid martial arts fighting style/movement. but about the japanese being dissapointed and all, like meryl said, i don't see what they're grumbling about. it's ot the fact they get the games first (because we get the extras). but being a rpg fan, i think it sucks that they get some of the best games that we'll NEVER see being ported in the uk. (parasite eve and xenogears are a couple of examples)

merylsilverburg
May 26th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Actually Esjay, MGS1 didn't even do well in Japan. While in the US everyone was raving about it when it came out, Japan was just kinda.....:zzz:. I'm not sure how MGS2 did over there, but it might've done pretty well, since they came out with the MGS2: Limited Edition Box released only for Japan. Anyway, yeah I don't see what they were complaining about...they do get cooler games than we do and all. :disturb:

Spank-A-Thon
May 27th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Basically, in order to compensate for the delay to the EU release of MGS2, our friends at Konami did what they did with Silent Hill 2...

Asides from the excellent PAL (full screen, full speed) conversions, we also got the Casting Theatre and Boss Battle modes, aswell as an all-new difficulty level, European Extreme... Which apparently is the most difficult MGS mode ever...

Also included was a second DVD containg Omake stuff such as a character gallery and concept drawings, aswell as a 'Making Of...' documentary.

So all in all, us Europeans got some good compensation for our wait!

- S

SilverJackel
May 27th, 2002, 11:08 AM
no doubt about that. we got some killer stuff with silent hill 2 as well though didn't we? (hey how abot that, my 2 fav. games are made by Konami) btw, wasn't silent hill 2 the BEST! i mean you can see alot of similaritys with both games graphics-wise and in style. except i think SH2 had a better story and cut-scenes, where-as MGS2 was better gameplay.