PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 in the works

Infernal Mass
May 6th, 2002, 03:21 PM
TOKYO, May 5 (Reuters) - Japanese consumer electronics giant Sony Corp (TOKYO:6758) has begun developing a games console to succeed its popular PlayStation 2 after 2005, Kyodo news agency reported on Sunday, citing company sources.

No one at Sony could be reached for comment.

The third-generation PlayStation will feature a powerful microprocessing unit (MPU) that would be about 200 times faster than those used now for video games machines and personal computers, it said.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc, a unit of Sony, Toshiba Corp (TOKYO:6502) and International Business Machines Corp (IBM) (NYSE:IBM) plan to spend $400 million to develop the MPU, Kyodo said.

Sony plans to develop the console by 2005, with a view to putting it on the market when fibre-optic networks become widespread, the sources told Kyodo.

The new machine would be designed for online use on high-speed fibre-optic networks, meaning it would probably be free of memory devices such as DVDs.

The PlayStation series has been a runaway success, dominating the game machines market. But competition has increased with the recent lauch of Microsoft Corp's (NASDAQ:MSFT) Xbox.

In the business year that ended March 31, Sony shipped 18 million PlayStation 2 machines, boosting its game sales by 52 percent.

2005 (http://finance.lycos.com/home/news/story.asp?symbols=NYSE:IBM&story=27045972)

happy_doughnut
May 8th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Woah, last time I heard it was to be developed in 2006. Glad I was wrong :laugh:
But say, have you heard anything about the pricing? I bet it's gonna be real expensive $$$.
-Wait, I have more to say but I forgot, I'll get back to this post later.-

:mad:

kamari-ice
May 8th, 2002, 06:44 PM
This is the price.
$300 without fancy computer MPU's
$1000 with MPU's
Its just like a comp., the same price, whoa, very big price.
They sended it threw mail, I have been getting playstation mail, not psmag.
Make sure its the truth though, its coming from playstation mail. :P

Infernal Mass
May 8th, 2002, 10:30 PM
i'm thinking maybe 350 dollars.It sounds like they're focusing on the online play alot.So i bet it'll have the modem and harddrive already installed.

Vicious_2003
May 9th, 2002, 09:32 PM
It better have the hardrive, they should be hung for not having included it in PS2 they better not make the same mistake twice

Infernal Mass
May 10th, 2002, 02:07 PM
I agree

Rohamgh
May 21st, 2002, 11:59 AM
So do I

Buy the Xbox

:p:p:p I'm jokin I'm jokin! :D

Beretta55
May 21st, 2002, 06:01 PM
i heard it will be like 400$

Esjay
May 25th, 2002, 10:34 AM
I'm not really ready for a brand new console quite yet, lol. But still, this machine seems VERY powerful...I mean, they're stating that it's 200xfaster than the current gen systems?...That's insane! lol...I'm sure the price will at least be 400$....