PDA

View Full Version : Is Card Captor Sakura for young kids?

Hylas
May 5th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Today I had a bad argument with a friend of mine. she told me she doesn't like CCS because in her opinion it's a series based on a really silly plot and it's clearly for young kids, like Pokèmon. I told her I don't think so, in fact I'm not a young kid and I like Sakura very much. I find it funny and fanciful.
Why do you have to consider funny or happy series only for young kids and gloomy ones for older anime fans? This is something I cannot understand. I know many 20 year old people who read CCS and they like it. So what's the point in telling they're stupid only because they like a series in which there's not much blood, obsessive characters or stuff like that? :mad:

merylsilverburg
May 5th, 2002, 08:21 PM
CCS is not for young kids. Yes, sure, the population is more of kids, but there are a lot of adults too. In fact, Sakura continues to be Japan's #1 most loved character. I understand that the whole plot, colors, and characters of CCS look like they're for young kids, but it's enjoyable for people of all ages, if they can just ignore the brightness and the cheerfulness. I think your friend is just frustrated with all the "kiddie" animes that are popping up and she just doesn't like CCS because of it and the whole fact that Sakura has to "capture" Clow Cards, like Ash capturing...uh...the "animals" in Pokemon. This is a main reason why, a lot of animes from Japan really don't make it over to the US. That's because a lot of people in the US like to watch a lot of action, gore, violence, etc. which is why cute animes like, Kanon and Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar never will make it over here. Fruits Basket is...surprisingly, going to be released in the US, and I'm sure it's going to flop, because everyone looks forward to action and all. But, if you take an anime, like Love Hina, with annoying characters and slap-stick annoying pranks, then it's all popular and good. :disturb: Personally, I feel that CCS is to be enjoyed by many people, despite their ages and that your friend just needs to....well....open her mind just a little.

Hylas
May 5th, 2002, 08:28 PM
You're right, many very good anime series are very underrated by some people becuase of the cheerfulness and all. And I think this happens also for some videogames and that's also why some videogames based on popular anime series are not going to be released in the US or Europe. Apart from Pokemon or Digimon and from some points of view Dragon Ball, there's nothing else that can be considered successful even if it's not freaky, serious or action-based. I mean, comedy is only The Simson, while when it comes to anime it seems people don't like humor. I find Card Captor Sakura really enjoyable and the humor that the authors put here and there is never vulgar or annoying. It seems this is considered to be trademark for immature...

merylsilverburg
May 5th, 2002, 08:39 PM
Yes, many anime-based games will never come over to the US. Like, CCS has a couple of games for the Dreamcast and I believe a new one for the PS2. I would love to play those games, but the only chance is to buy it imported. The whole comedy and cheerfulness goes for different people. For example, the comedy in CCS is not annoying, vulgar, rude, or just plain stupid. The comedy in Love Hina or Ah! My Goddess are (IMO) annoying, suggestive, and oh-so-slapstick-ish. That kind of "comedy" just irks me and I can't stand it. But, for some strange reason, when it comes to those animes or The Simpsons, everyone loves it! I just don't get it. It seems to me from the responses of the popularity of these animes, that everyone enjoys stupid and simple comedy, while as the smart, clever, and witty comedy, no one likes. It makes me feel that the entire population who likes animes are idiots! *Sigh* Well, that's just my opinion and I'm not saying everyone is an idiot, so please don't mistaken my words. CCS is an enjoyable anime that's cute and light-hearted, which is pretty rare when it comes to animes, since the Japanese love such dark and tragic stories. :disturb:

Hylas
May 5th, 2002, 08:44 PM
I hate Ah! My Goddess too meryl! I know it's so terribly poppular, but I can't stand it! I find it so plain and pointless that I feel ashamed for the ones who dare to say it's one of the best anime ever!
Ok, don't want to seem rude with the ones who like it, but my gawd! Why cannot people understand the difference between a story or characters made with serious intentions of creating something really deep or at least original and interesting, and stories and characters that are only commercial and/or made to earn money?

merylsilverburg
May 5th, 2002, 08:51 PM
:laugh: You're so right, Hylas! Actually, to be honest, I never seen Ah! My Goddess, but from the sound of it and hearing about "how great it is" from people at school....no thanks, I'll pass. :P What I don't understand is this: I heard some people say it's "one of the best romantic animes EVER" or "it's the best anime ever. Period" I just want to shout, " Hello?! Can you guys just open your mind just a little bit?" Personally, though I've never seen it, I'm pretty sure the comedy in there is just going to be annoying and with all these annoying "goddessess" bouncing around. Can you tell me what the plot is, 'cause I'm never going to see it.

happy_doughnut
May 5th, 2002, 09:04 PM
*knocks* Can I come in? :)
Hmm...well, I like CC a lot! You're right Hylas. It's wrong to consider it a little kids shows just because it doesn't have blood and gore as others do. Also, the plot is a lilttle silly in my opinion but it's still fun to watch nontheless. Besides, Le is a cutie :love:
Ah!MG is something I WOULD NOT watch. From the looks of it it seems somewhat ridiculous.
But hey, I watch Pokemon! I don't see what's so terrible about it. So many people think it's dumb that I do but you know, I'm not making anyone else watch them so they should just let me be right?
Back to the topic. No Hylas, CC isn't a lil kids show and if it were,would it really make a difference? I mean, it's a good series so let it be what it is!

Hylas
May 5th, 2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Mena

But hey, I watch Pokemon! I don't see what's so terrible about it. So many people think it's dumb that I do but you know, I'm not making anyone else watch them so they should just let me be right?

I've watched Pokemon as well, and even if it's not one of my fave, I think some episodes were kinda funny and I have no problems in telling you I don't despise Pokemon lovers and I don't like those who say Pokemon lovers are stupid.
As for CCS subject, Li is a cutie, but Touya is even better :love:

About the plot of AH! My Goddess, meryl you're right: it's about the three main goddesses bouncing around and about the boy Keichii involved in odd situations with them. It begins with Keichii that for a mistake dials the number of the Goddess Helpline. Belldandy, the first and main goddess come to help him and ask him if he has any wishes. As it always happens in cases like this one Keichii doesn't really trust Belldandy, so he asks her to find a girl for him. Also, after the first episodes, the sisters of Belldandy, Urd and Skuld, are involved in the story. And then you can guess what comes out of this plot... :P

merylsilverburg
May 5th, 2002, 10:36 PM
Oooh....that sounds sooo interesting! Sign me up!! :sarcasm: Thanks for telling me, Hylas. And yeah, Mena, I don't really have a problem with Pokemon or anyone who likes Pokemon (I don't have a problem with people who watch Love Hina or Ah! My Goddess either) even though I've never seen more than 1 episode of it. But, I'm not trying to force anyone to watch what I like or not watch what I don't like...it's up to everyone's tastes and what suits them. There are many people who are not the same, unfortunately. Whatever they feel is good, they have to FORCE them to like it as well and I think that's just wrong. Anyway, CCS is not a kid's anime.....there's a lot of children in Japan who watch a lot of adult orientated things, much more than children in the US. So, to have an anime that is suitable for kids as well as adults....I think it's pretty good. :)

Rei
May 6th, 2002, 11:43 AM
I'm not the greatest Sakura fan ever, but the series is nice and I like it. It's probably the only work from Clam I like so much. I can't agree with the ones who say it's for only young kids. I'd say it's ALSO very good for young kids 'cause in it there's no violence or such things.

Hylas
May 6th, 2002, 03:48 PM
Exactly Rei: CCS is good also for young kids, but this doesn't mean it's only for young kids. There's a big difference between these two considerations.

Pu the Owl
May 6th, 2002, 08:50 PM
Card Captor Sakura was one of the first manga series I've completed. As Rei said, it's the only work from Clamp team I really appreciate (while I can't stand other ones as Magic Knight Rayearth). When I got the first volume of the manga I had the impression it was for little kids, but than I changed my mind because I liked it.

Do you know anyway that Sakura anime series has been interrupted in Italy because they needed "space" for Pokemon? :mad: That shows that popularity is a very stupid thing sometimes...
Luckily, after what happened, I started buying the manga, which is even better than the anime.

Slrjoecool
May 16th, 2002, 12:05 AM
I've seen a couple episodes of CCS, and they're pretty good (too me...) I would also say that I like *hides so he doesn't get hit with stuff from angry people* Sailor Moon. I know a lot of people don't like it, but it's one of my fav's... *Stays hiding*

Rei
May 16th, 2002, 01:55 PM
I liked some Sailor Moon series, not all of them... The first series sucked IMO, but the I kinda liked the last ones.

merylsilverburg
May 16th, 2002, 08:03 PM
Yes, Sailormoon was actually the anime that got me into anime. I was so intrigued by the drawings and the "cool" plot (now, it's okay to me :P) so I started being all crazed and stuff. Now, I'm still wanting to see the rest, I believe is Sailormoon Super SS or something like that. :P