PDA

View Full Version : Which Snake has more motivation?

Miki
May 3rd, 2002, 08:16 PM
This may sound dumb, but I haven't seen a poll like this around.
Which one among the "snakes" of MGS games has more motivations for his actions? Just think about it before giving the answer, because I really mean serious or precise motivations, not superficial reasons. They can be reasonable or not, this doesn't really count.

Rei
May 4th, 2002, 09:36 AM
This is a very interesting thread Miki!
I think Solidus has the "best" motivations to act as he does. As you said it doesn't mean his way of acting is reasonable, in fact it's not reasonable at all.

*spoilers*

Solidus fights for his idea of liberty against the Patriots and against all the other people involved in their project. He really believes in this cause.
Liquid's reasons are more personal. He's looking for a sort of revenge, not fighting for a "public" cause.

Hadoken
May 4th, 2002, 12:30 PM
I voted for liquid. cuz he just REALLY wants to take over the world.
I mean come on, the guy came back using his own arm. now THATS a determined guy.

Hylas
May 4th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Hadoken
I mean come on, the guy came back using his own arm. now THATS a determined guy.

LOL! That's true! But I voted for all of them. I think the less motivated is Solid, but only for the first episode. In the second one he's not as motivated as the other two, but they all got a reason to act!

jenova_jeb
May 4th, 2002, 02:32 PM
Definitely Liquid.

happy_doughnut
May 4th, 2002, 03:12 PM
Solid Snake!! He's just the best of everything and there's no doubt about it! Solid all the way!

MakgSnake
May 4th, 2002, 03:13 PM
....Well I Voted For....Solid Snake.....Ok..I Know Solidus Actually Shows His Motivation....And Yes Liquid Has ALOT OF IT!.!.....Like Hadoken Said...

But..If U Think About It....No Matter What Happens.....Both Brothers Solidus/Liquid Try To Do Something Or Anything To This PLANET EARTH......Solid Snake Would Come And Try HIS Best To Stop It.... Especially.......I Mean...Just Check The Last Scene Of MGS2

^^Spoiler^^
When...Liquid Jumps In The Water With RAY....Snake Knew He Is Going Against Something Totally Unstoppable...And Totally HUGE And .... Still.....He Went In...To Stop LIQUID!.!...

If U Hear Properly.....The Way Snake Says "Liquid, Stop This Thing".....The Tone He Uses....Sounds Like....He Is Trying To Convince Liquid Not To Do Whatever He Is Doing..... I Mean..He Is Not Trying To STOP Him By Shouting...But Trying To Convince Him...Thinking And Taking Him As A Brother......Not An Enemy.!. No Matter In What Worse Position Snake Would Be...He Will Just Try To Stop Liquid (Who Happens to be The Most Motivated Snake In This Poll At The Moment)....

Oh Well! :D

Rei
May 4th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Well, we're not questioning the bad or good motivations of the characters. As Miki said, they can be reasonable or not, doesn't really count. We're talking about REAL motivations.

*spoilers*

In the first MGS Solid is a sort of mercenary, not acting for a purpose he really believes in. In that case Liquid was motivated by his desire for revenge against the world and also against Solid. In the second game it's nearly the same. It's true that Solid is not working for the same group anymore, but his mission is still not his personal decision. So the other two Snakes, Liquid and Solidus, have more precise motivations to act. They use their only forces to achieve their goals. Even if their plans are involving criminals and they don't mind killing other people, they're not, or at least not in their intentions, part of a bigger project decided by others. In the end they both are betrayed in MGS and MGS2, and they deserve it cause they're acting in an evil way, but I guess this is a bit off-topic :)

MakgSnake
May 4th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Rei
Well, we're not questioning the bad or good motivations of the characters. As Miki said, they can be reasonable or not, doesn't really count. We're talking about REAL motivations.

Ure Right, I Wasn't Implying On GOOD Or BAD Motivations But As A Whole. And I Agree....in MGS1 Snake Wasn't Even Intrested In Accepting The Mission. But...Not Even Half Way Through He....Wanted To END This Mission As Soon As Possible. WHY>?... Cause Of Meryl...That Was A Different Kind Of Motivation. I Have To Say!

Cause Usually Snake Doesn't Care Of Anything In LIFE...But When He Does........Ooooh .......

Rei
May 4th, 2002, 04:03 PM
Well Mkg, you're right. Meryl is a motivation, even if she becomes a real motivation only in some parts of MGS and it doesn't seem to be a constant worry for Snake.

MakgSnake
May 4th, 2002, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Rei
Well Mkg, you're right. Meryl is a motivation, even if she becomes a real motivation only in some parts of MGS and it doesn't seem to be a constant worry for Snake.
HUH? She Was...Rei.. I Swear She Was.... She Was A Constant Worry Throughout The Game. He Wanted To Reach Liquid...To Save Meryl.. Remember When Niomi Says....."I Thought U Were Intrested In Saving Ure Own Skin Only".... Snake Says "I Am Going To Save Meryl, I Dont Need An Excuse, And I Am Not Doing It For Anyone Else, I Am Gonna Save Meryl For Myself"... She Became A Motivation After The Scene. She Was After All His Combat Buddy.

She Was....! :shock:

Rei
May 4th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Well, at the beginning it seems he wants to save her only 'cause she's Colonel Campbell's relative. And during some parts of the game, like while facing Mantis, it seems he's not so worried by Meryl. When the game proceeds her presence becomes more and more important, but also other elements, like the relation with Liquid, take place. I'd say, if you prefer, tha meryl is not the only thing Solid thinks about during the game, while the other two Snakes have more precise interests and we get to know them even if we despise they're way of acting, while we appreciate Solid.

Infernal Mass
May 5th, 2002, 05:36 PM
I voted for solid snake.It was a toss up between that one and liquid.
His ongoing battle trancends a number of games,and his adversaries get tougher and tougher each time he comes back.Jumping into the sea after a Metal Gear Ray took alot of motivation.:laugh:

Pu the Owl
May 6th, 2002, 09:21 PM
I' voted for Solidus

*gets bricked on her head* :D

merylsilverburg
May 7th, 2002, 08:37 PM
Ah, I voted for all of them. Like all of you said already, Solidus for the Patriots, Liquid for taking over the world, and Solid for trying to stop it all from happening. ;)

MakgSnake
May 7th, 2002, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Ah, I voted for all of them. Like all of you said already, Solidus for the Patriots, Liquid for taking over the world, and Solid for trying to stop it all from happening. ;)
See, Snake's Motivation Is Against Two People, So Makes Him Have More Motivation. hehe...

Pu the Owl
May 7th, 2002, 09:02 PM
hahaha good try Makg :D

MakgSnake
May 8th, 2002, 04:22 AM
Atleast I Am Trying To Bring My Solid Snake Up. As I Do Feel Again That I Am Right Here. Right Guys? Uff.. MakgSnake Is Sooo Right......Hes Never Wrong!-! hehe

Pu the Owl
May 8th, 2002, 02:14 PM
At the moment it seems they're all equally motivated: 4 votes for each Snake :shock:

Esjay
May 24th, 2002, 10:53 PM
Solid of course...

if you remember the codec sequence after the battle with the harrier

*spoilers* I guess

Snake says that he fights for the future generations, which is really the 'big picture' to the entire plot of MGS2. As for MGS1, Snake did fight for Meryl, it's obvious that he loved her, so he was driven by an undefeatable force, love, in the first MGS (lol, that was corny). Liquid and Solidus both fight for personal motives (Solidus' was kind of personal, he was freeing HIMSELF from the patriots, the way he saw it the other people being freed from them would just be a 'side effect' while Liquid was driven by a petty revenge against his father, but at the same time, he plans to revive outer heaven....actually, that is what both Solidus and Liquid fought for really, was the revival of outer heaven. Snake's ambitions and motivations were much deeper than both Solidus' AND Liquid's. And as MakgSnake said, Snake's motives are against 2 other motives, making his own much better ^_^ hehe