PDA

View Full Version : Saiyuki

Hylas
Apr 30th, 2002, 07:41 PM
I've seen some artworks on the weband they looked amazing, so I'd like to know some info about this series.
Is it a new series? Can you give me some info on the story/characters? Is it a manga, an anime or both?
How many episodes? :right:

Hadoken
May 1st, 2002, 12:18 AM
I'd like to know if this anime/manga(or both) have anything in common with the game saiyuki?
i think saiyuki means journey west or somethin. i may be wrong.
but i know the story of journey to the west.
maybe its pretty much the same story.
*goes to search*

Rei
May 1st, 2002, 09:48 AM
As Hadoken said, Saiyuki means journey to the west, but I don't know if the anime and the game are connected in some way. :confused:

merylsilverburg
May 1st, 2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Hylas
I've seen some artworks on the weband they looked amazing, so I'd like to know some info about this series.
Is it a new series? Can you give me some info on the story/characters? Is it a manga, an anime or both?
How many episodes? :right:

Yayyyy!! I love Gensomaden Saiyuki!! The guys don't look half-bad either, eh? :love: *Ahem* Okay:

This series is a manga turned anime and has not been licensed and it was released in Japan from 200-2001. The mangaka is Kazuya, Minekura. There are a total of 50 TV episodes and a movie that was recently released (2002) There are also rumors that there might be a new season produced, but this hasn't been confirmed. Okay, the story: Togenkyo is the land of civilization origin, where the Humans and Yokai (Demons) used to live together peacefully, until the Yokai began to attack the humans. The cause of this, is part of a plan to revive the Great Evil King, Gyumao, who has been sealed away in a tomb for about 500 years. If he is revived, Togenkyo will be run by evil and the Yokai. Tenkai (The Heavens) decides to send the priest Genjo Sanzo to the west to a kingdom Tenjikukoku in order to find out who is behind this plan and stop it. Accompanying him are his three companions: Son Goku, Cho Hakkai, and Sha Gojyo. In order to understand this story, you must know about the Chinese tale, the Monkey King, because each of the characters in the anime are a resurrected form of the old Chinese tale. The Monkey King is a monkey that had been sealed away in a rock for billions of years, because of his mischieviousness(sp?). There is a priest who has to search for the Sutra, a Buddhist Holy Book. The Heavens decide to call the Monkey King to accompany the priest, because the Monkey King is extremely powerful, because he is a god himself and cannot die. So, the Monkey King becomes the priest's disciple and the Heavens decides the priest will need more help and protection from the dangers on his journey, so they call out for two more companions: A pig and a used-to-be sea monster. All three (except the priest) are gods, so they cannot die and have tremendous power. So, the journey begins....

Genjo, Sanzo- Nickname: Ill-Behaved Priest
Sanzo is the main character in Saiyuki and he behaves in a very un-priest-like way. He drinks, smokes, gambles, and curses. :love: He uses a holy gun to kill his enemies and the Sutra chants draped on his shoulders. Everyone thinks he's very pretty....even guys.

Son Goku- Nickname: I forgot! :right:
Goku is the second main character, because he represents the Monkey King! He is the youngest-looking member. He's very loud and jumpy and gets hungry, like, every minute, but he's still lovable! He wears a gold band around his forehead to prevent him from turning into a full Yokai. Yes, Goku is a demon in this anime, but he's good. He uses a staff to fight his enemies.

Cho Hakkai- Nickname: Truth Behind Smile of Face
Hakkai is represented as the "pig" in the Chinese tale. He's the one in green. He is 1/2 Yokai and wears a clip around his ear to keep him human. He's the smart and quiet type, but he has a dark past....which explains his nickname.....He uses telekinesis-like magic blasts to fight his enemies.

Sha Gojyo- Nickname: The Scandalous Rouge
Gojyo is the one with bright red hair. He is the "sea-monster" and is extremely smooth with the chicks. ^^;;; He and Sanzo really don't have much of a connection, but they're still pretty close friends. Gojyo uses a staff with a crescent-blade attached to it with a chain.

Ahh.....I hope I didn't spoil it for ya! I've only seen half of the 50 episodes, (the subtitles for the second half is AWFUL!) so I can't really tell you more. I hope this helps! If you need any more help, please feel free to post here, and I'll try my best!

Ruby Moon
May 1st, 2002, 07:12 PM
I've seen some artworks too, and the guys of this series look so yummie yummie :love:

Hadoken
May 1st, 2002, 07:16 PM
thanks for the info meryl.
I know about the monkey king tale and the story to journey to the west(the original story, not this anime/manga).
from what i've read about this, it doesnt seem to match up with the old tale. but oh well. lol
in the old tale, the story was based mainly on buddhism.
i guess this one has a bit of a different perspective.
like the gojyo in the old tale was very religious, and didnt flirt with the girls. but in this, it sounds kinda the oppposite. lol
i havent seen it, but i'm wondering how much of the story is actually based on the old tale. besides the names and a few other things.

Here (http://hanayume.net/Saiyuki/) is a fansite i found.

btw, the guys look "yummy"?
lol, err.. i dont think you should say that about a monk.;)

Ruby Moon
May 1st, 2002, 07:18 PM
Girls don't really care if you're talking about monks or not :D

merylsilverburg
May 1st, 2002, 07:32 PM
Exactly! My favorite is Sanzo! :love: :love: :love: He's so cute!!!

Ruby Moon
May 1st, 2002, 07:43 PM
Yes!I agree with meryl! He's the cutest among all! ^__^

merylsilverburg
May 1st, 2002, 07:59 PM
His personality is kinda cruel though. :P But, he's still very cute, so it's not a problem! :laugh: My next favorite would have to be Hakkai, though Gojyo comes close...:love: