PDA

View Full Version : Real-Time or Turn-based combat...

Miata
Apr 23rd, 2002, 02:57 PM
Over the years I've played a few RPGs and though the stories vary to greater or lesser degrees, one thing has remained constant: The overwhelming majority have employed Turn-based combat. The advantages to this system include being able to see the battle and it's magic and combat effects, having time to decide what you want to do, and allowing you to visit the facilities even in the middle of a fight. Real-time keeps the frenetic pace of combat alive, forces you to make quick decisions and creates a more immersive sense to the fights. So tell me...which is better and more importantly-why?

IcyMourdor
Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:48 PM
I prefer active games. The ATB of FF was cool because you couldn't just sit there for ever and do nothing. I always set it to Active because it is better.

Hylas
Apr 24th, 2002, 09:41 AM
I prefer real-time, it's not annoying as turn-based battles. I think some future RPG's developers should adopt the real-time battles to change the classic formula and keep the player interested in new games. Some RPGs are better with turn-based battles though.

Sword 4 Hire
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:42 PM
I don't like either really...I put up with em...but I don't enjoy em...I liked the system used for FFX where I could take my time and see whose going to attack next if I had to choose one...

JC Denton
Apr 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
i say that both can work and both can work very well. I loved exile 3 and return to krondor ( turn based battles)
but diablo 2 and baldurs gate, ff ect all worked well on reall time or near enough in ff's case.
both are good for me because i like to think about what to do next especially in games wherte you need tatcics or die. so i like to be able to think and then issue orders but i also like the realism of frantic fighting (which is sometimes scary) such as severance which you just dont get on turn based. There is a place for both types on the shelfs and rightly so.

but my favourite would be the baldurs gate battle system because you fight in the same screen as you move around in, unlike ff, and monsters rush you. it gives you a change to press pause and issue orders in pause, then when you take it off they do the orders, but you could fight anyway you wanted on it.

Miata
Apr 24th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Thanks to everyone who's replied so far and I hope the responses keep coming. The reason why I've posted this is a group of us are in the process of developing an RPG and the combat system is, to me, a vital aspect of this genre. In my mind, the only thing more important is the story. So input from this group is highly useful and extremely appreciated. I look forward to more feedback. And I'll let y'all know how it's going.

jenova_jeb
Apr 24th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Yay for turn-based :love:

happy_doughnut
Apr 24th, 2002, 11:47 PM
I think it depends on the game. I like both. They're both good if they're done properly.