PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name...

Miata
Apr 18th, 2002, 12:33 PM
Over the years I've noticed that some RPG's allow you to re-name character(s) to personalize the experience. I always take the opportunity, despite the fact that it changes nothing in the game. How do you feel about that option? Do you use it? Ignore it? And what names do you come up with? Cool ones like Avatack the Destroyer, or funny ones such as Bag-O-Gas? Ones you can't show your friends like-well, you know what I mean...and do you think this or even a higher level of customization is needed to keep the RPG market fresh and evolving?

Sleazy P Martini
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Unless I really hate the characters name (like Serge in Chrono Cross) I don't do it. I definitely like the option though.

Pu the Owl
Apr 18th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Yeah, the option is good, but I usually don't need it, because I prefer the original names, and I can't think better ones :P

Soul Angel
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:14 PM
I hardly ever use that option because I prefer using the actual character's name..
I think it is a good option for those who like using it or maybe just hate a certain character's name, but IMO if that option disappeared in a RPG game I wouldn't mind at tall and wouldn't really miss it but that's in my opionion anyway

Sword 4 Hire
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:22 PM
I never use it...I like using the name's that they were meant to have. But some of friends name em their own names...and some name em some pretty funny...yet inappropriate names lol

Miata
Apr 18th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Ok. But what about this: when you aquire new weapons or armour, etc., do you prefer to see the changes reflected in the character? Some games do this well while others seem to ignore it all-together. Personnally, I love when the designers go that extra step. It makes searching for the goodies far more rewarding IMO.

Sleazy P Martini
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Definitely! Little touches like that are important.

IcyMourdor
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:55 PM
I always change the names. I have a friend who likes to copy files, beat the game, then say he done it himself. So I change the names. If he does it again and starts bragging, I can laugh at him and ask him why it has Jim (my name) for the main character.

Miata
Apr 18th, 2002, 04:58 PM
A fav of mine is 'Thingbot". Don't know why...

happy_doughnut
Apr 19th, 2002, 12:04 AM
I definitely like that option. I use it as many times as I can too. Some lead characters have really bad names and even if they don't, I still change em! I'll name a character according to the game and their style. I guess I just feel more comfortable if I customize them. Then again, most of the times I come up with names that I make up like X-Porph wich are even at times worse than the initial game and make no sence at all...-_-

Hylas
Apr 21st, 2002, 05:46 AM
I like the option, but I don't use it that much. I think the only name I've changed in my life was the name of Rinoa's dog (I didn't like the name Angelo and it was only a secondary character soo... :right:) .

jenova_jeb
Apr 21st, 2002, 07:23 AM
I've never done it.

Macceh^
Apr 21st, 2002, 12:24 PM
the first time i play through a game i dont do it so i get the "proper" story as it is. Maybe on a second run through i do but not always depends on the mood, allthough i enjoy gettign the rename cards on ff to rename the chars for a small portion of the game dont know why just do :)

Miata
Apr 22nd, 2002, 09:30 AM
I just started a new game of FFTactics and the lead guy is now named Flok O C Gulls due to his hair. And Ramza sounded Egyptian...

Ruby Moon
Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:34 PM
I've tried the option a couple of times, when I really couldn't stand the original name of the character.

kamari-ice
Apr 22nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
I keep the regular names, it makes it real!
If I change it, it confuses me!

x157anz
Apr 24th, 2002, 01:01 PM
I never change the characters names.
Because i cant think of better names :laugh: and if i change the characters names, and people are telling me things about the characters i wont be able to remember who is who.

If you get what i mean..... :laugh:

Miata
Apr 24th, 2002, 01:20 PM
I get what you mean. It's happened to me where a guide will refer to a character and you'll be lost for a bit until you realize it can only mean one person or another...you hope.;)