PDA

View Full Version : My Style

merylsilverburg
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Since Fortune said she would like to see my style of drawing, here it is. Here's the deal: I get very influenced by a lot of different style drawings, so this is just one of my style of drawings. I sometimes draw like this, but not often. I didn't post a drawing that I actually draw my style in, because most of them are on lined paper. :P I didn't use color or shade in the eyes, because when I tried to....she looked scary. :disturb: Okay, so here it is. There's no anime/manga character related, just a chick. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated! :)

http://communities.msn.com/Ps2Fantasy/artwork.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=45

Sleazy P Martini
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:42 PM
That's great! Are you going to color it?

Spirit
Apr 13th, 2002, 07:47 PM
looks good =D
somewhat abstratc although and needs more detail :D or at least I think it does but it looks good nevertheless

merylsilverburg
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:31 PM
Sleazy P: Hmmm.....color.....I don't know if that'll look good.....I tried to shade in her eyes with pencil, but she looked pretty weird. :P I'm not sure about color.....what kind of eyes and hair color should she have, if I were to? :heh:

Spirit: Yeah, I know, this pic was kinda boring. What kind of details do you think I need to add? :confused: More frills on her outfit or some shading? I'm not very good with backgrounds, so I don't think I can fit one in without screwing up the whole pic...:right:

Pu the Owl
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:33 PM
That's so nice!
I especially like the dreamy expression on her face!
So is it an original character from you?

Sleazy P Martini
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:37 PM
It doesn't need color. It's great the way it is. I was just curious that's all.

merylsilverburg
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Fortune: Yes, it's an all original character from me. I got inspired to draw this girl after seeing some pics of these really cute manga chicks wearing these puffy dress with all these ribbons and frills *squeals* XD I thought it was so cute, so I was like, "I've gotta draw myself one!" So, that's when I came up with this character.

Sleazy P: I'm glad you think this image looks okay without color. :P If you said I needed to, I would've tried it out though. She does seem kinda bland......maybe I'll do some shading under her chin and on her nose and see how that turns out.

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone! :happy:

Pu the Owl
Apr 13th, 2002, 10:53 PM
*off topic maybe*
Ok, it's an original character. Now I'd like to know why she has this expression. Use a bit of imagination..mmm maybe she's waiting for her boyfirend or for a guy she likes?
The dress is very elegant so it must be a party or she must be an aristocratic girl, no? XD

happy_doughnut
Apr 14th, 2002, 01:14 AM
You sure have some great imagination Fortune.
Meryl, that picture is very nice! Shading it would be nice but it's just great like it is.

Soul Angel
Apr 14th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Wow I like your style of drawing Meryl, its really good!
The pic is really nicely done and I also like the expression on her face
Keep it up! ;)

Carlito
Apr 14th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Once again a nice work meryl :)

merylsilverburg
Apr 14th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Fortune
*off topic maybe*
Ok, it's an original character. Now I'd like to know why she has this expression. Use a bit of imagination..mmm maybe she's waiting for her boyfirend or for a guy she likes?
The dress is very elegant so it must be a party or she must be an aristocratic girl, no? XD

Heh.....I never really thought about it. :P I would say......she's eyeing the guy she likes and is fantasizing about having a dance with him at a party, like you said. :happy: I guess maybe it's her expression that made me not want to color in the eyes. When I filled in the eyes with pencil, she didn't have that "dreamy" look anymore. :heh:

Thank you all who commented on my pic. Mena: I will try to do some shading, thanks! :)

Neo_Soldier28
Apr 14th, 2002, 05:00 PM
I like it it looks really good.

Mana
Apr 14th, 2002, 08:31 PM
It's really nice meryl, even if she looks a bit sad IMO.

merylsilverburg
Apr 14th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Yeah, Mana, I agree. Until Fortune said she had a dreamy look, I thought she looked a bit sad to me too. Ah, well, I guess it's different for everyone. :)

kupoartist
Apr 15th, 2002, 01:33 PM
thats really pretty Meryl :happy: nice work!

Cannibal Clown
Apr 29th, 2002, 07:03 PM
Hey Meryl, if you want to keep the dreamy look and add shade, then I suggest that you add deep contrasting shade to the face, and real high contrast to the hair, with deep shadows, and waivy reflections. The you just add more reflection to the eyes, and with the face shaded, it'll add even more dreamyness to the eyes and you'll get the full effect that your pic was meant to have. Or else I suggest you give it a very subtle background which adds more emphasis to the eyes as well.

Okay, now I feel like I'm dictating your drawing. I apologise, but these are just ideas I have for helping your drawing out a bit. Stuff I found out on my own, after butchering many of my own drawings.

Oh well, live and learn I guess.

merylsilverburg
May 2nd, 2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks Cannibal for the advice. I'll try it out! ;)

MakgSnake
May 6th, 2002, 10:54 AM
Work Well Done.. But Very DIM....I Mean The Paper And The Work.. Very DIM!

merylsilverburg
May 9th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Yeah, I know, it's pretty dim, but that's because I don't have a scanner, so I have to resort to a digital camera. The lighting is not very good, even when I use MSN's Photo Upload system. When I try to make it brighter, it looks too bright, when I try to make it darker, it's too dark. Ah...I'll try to fix all my crappy mistakes in the future. Gomen nasai, minna san! :(

happy_doughnut
May 9th, 2002, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by merylsilverburg
Gomen nasai, minna san! :(

Wha...:peoples:
*ahem*
I think the lighting is just fine. Taking in mind that you don't use a scanner, it looks very good . You don't want to try and make them too dark because then they'll end up looking like mine :disturb: Anyway, don't say that what you do is crappy. It's great! You're drawing skills are very astonishing. Many people wish they could draw half as well as you. I know I do :)

Cannibal Clown
May 10th, 2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Mena

Wha...:peoples:
*ahem*
You don't want to try and make them too dark because then they'll end up looking like mine :disturb: Anyway, don't say that what you do is crappy. It's great! You're drawing skills are very astonishing. Many people wish they could draw half as well as you. I know I do :)

Hmm, that sounds familiar. Like something I've sen another member of this forum say many times. I can't put my finger on who it is though. But what you said, I know if seen comments just like it some where else before. Oh well, I'm sure it'll come to me sooner or later.

Hmmmm.

happy_doughnut
May 10th, 2002, 09:59 PM
Um, maybe I said it before. Okie, I'll let you in the secret. I'm psychic! But shhh!! :laugh: